Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

I do not, but I have been spinning some CD's recently and was thinking about it. I assumed it would be better to run a digital out into one of the Yamaha's digital inputs since it houses a pretty good DAC. Guess it depends on the CD player?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

I actually dont like the sound of the DAC in the AS801, i much prefer the sound of the DAC inside my CD-S300.

3. james

james Summon The Queen

interesting, thanks. I wish they sold that thing in silver here (in the USA)

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Is the cd-s700 available in silver?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. james

james Summon The Queen

it doesn't look like it

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, i actually like the cds300 more overall anyway.

7. Ben Toby

Ben Toby Forum Resident

I had a very similar experience. I once bought a Yamaha keyboard for my son used from Craigslist. The seller advises that there were two bad keys. I took it to authorizes Yamaha repair and they replaced the entire key bed (is that the right word? All 88 keys) under warranty, no questions asked. I was floored and went on to buy an AS-701 an AS-2100 both of which I love and listen to every day.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

They replaced my whole A-S2000 when it would blink and not turn on. I was a little nervous buying the brand again, but maybe the part that went was bad on my particular S2000 was faulty from the get go. The 801 has felt more reliable. My S2000 would go into protection on heavy passages. The 801 had not tripped up.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

A-S801 owners - any of you upgrade the power cord? If so, could you post your findings?

10. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Would the 801 pair nicely with a set of Klipsch R-28 floor speakers? Also, I have seen the phono-stage being described as weak a few times now is this really the case? I primarily listen to CDs/Vinyl.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I'm using the 801 with a pair of Forte III's. mainly cd & sacd. sounds pretty damn good to me. Emotive ERC-3 via optical to yamaha using its dac- primarily in pure direct mode. Also have Oppo 103 connected to cd inputs on 801 for two channel sacd playback. Again sounds fantastic. Seems to run pretty cool. of course with the Forte's efficency I barely have to crank the volume.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Carlox, Helom, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Can anyone who owns the A-S801 comment on how playing files off a laptop, via the amps DAC sounds?? Specifically - does it compare to even a modest external DAC like the Schiit Modi Uber?? I have yet to install the driver and connect my laptop to the amp - I guess I could find out for myself at some point! :)

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

no laptop at the moment, but curious as well. I am assuming it should sound fine with some good quality digital files.

johnny q likes this.
  14. Ben Toby

Ben Toby Forum Resident

Sweet looking system thetman!

15. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

thanks, set up is in my home office, best place for me to do most of my listening. wish the room was a bit bigger, but serves its purpose for multi & two-channel music.

johnny q likes this.
  16. james

james Summon The Queen

The built in DAC is my favorite thing about the amp. Digital sounds fantastic.

musictoad and johnny q like this.
  17. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

I'm certainly no audiophile, but I first hooked up my S801 from its DAC to a USB port of my home built desktop computer...I had to use a USB extension cable to make the length work out...and, I though it sounded great playing my digitized library, stuff ripped from 256 all the way to DSD files. I liked it so much that I immediately bought lifetime Roon. I am very, very happy with my setup.

johnny q likes this.
  18. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

good to know. I think in the future I may pick up a MacBook to play all my digital files too. Just gives me another option to play some music through my system

johnny q likes this.
  19. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Guys, how are the phono stages on these integrated amps? Everyone seems to be praising the DACs but haven't heard much about the phono stage.

20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Agree 100%. It dramatically improved the sound of my digital playback. Excellent DAC.

james likes this.
  21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

The phono stage is underwhelming. I upgraded to a Parasound Zphono recently and immediately noticed an improvement.

Edit: I have the A-S801

Carlox and DHamilton like this.
  22. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Thank you, that is what I was afraid of.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Ive compared the DAC on this to my Yamaha cds300 player three different times. Each time i have preferred the sound of the cds300. The DAC, while very good, comes across as being a bit more bright on my stereo.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I don’t think the 501’s is bad. If my Lounge ever dies I could probably live with it rather than plunk down another $350. I only A/Bed them once because it’s a pain but I would still give the Lounge the advantage.

DHamilton likes this.
  25. james

james Summon The Queen

If you find something in this price range that sounds as good as the Yamaha on the amp and digital side and has a phono stage that is equally up to par, let us know...I’ll buy it!

Jimmy Disco D and DHamilton like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.