Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Should I replace my L-205 Luxman with a 501? Just curious as I am slowly building a 2 channel system but currently have some JBL 2600 speakers that came in the used package i bought from a guy where I work. I got the speakers, Tuner, Amp and Teac CD player for $75 bucks...so wondering if or when I move up should I do speakers first?

2. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems all reviews I've found is about the 801. Has anyone compared the sound of the the 701 & 801? Just curious how much difference the DAC makes.

3. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

My source right now is a Squeezebox Touch. Not sure if the builtin DAC is better or worse than Yamaha's. Or, if it would be better to spring for the 801 over the 701.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

If you think you'll upgrade the speakers in the near future, do that before the amp.

Also not sure the Yamaha would be an upgrade unless your speakers crave more power.

I love the way these Yamaha amps sound with British 2-ways, very different animals from JBLs I've heard.

irender likes this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If you already own or want the 501 or 701 but still have the DAC of the 801 (along with other features like MusicCast, blutooth and wifi), Yamaha has a solution for you:

WXC-50

I'm still deciding on this purchase.

NoDad and Kristofa like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton: No headache for my music enjoyment if I choose to retire in Canada ... :agree:

wrappedinsky and Poolshark like this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This looks nice.

8. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Hmm that might solve my issues for getting FLAC to my 2 channel system in another room. I did read some issues with MusicCast on another forum will have to do some research.

9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Love my 501. It has been dependable and a capable performer since purchased new a few years ago. I use it's DAC for streaming and audio signal from TV.

wrappedinsky, fogalu and Helom like this.
  10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I have one of their MusicCast wireless speakers and for the most part it works great. The occasional connectivity problem but that isnt so unusual when dealing with wifi.

11. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

this seems to have come a general 501/701/801 thread so i'll ask... is the 701 worth 100$ more over the 501?
    factory refurb the 701 is only 100 more than the refurb 501

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I think they're identical more or less. It depends I guess on how much you plan on cranking it. For me the 501 is more than enough. I almost never turn it up more than a third.

Helom likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Yes. Unless it means not feeding your children this week, the 701 is worth it for the CD Direct mode.
    And your Pioneer speakers will probably benefit from the extra power too.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

good point, i was going to add a cd deck into the mix anyway

15. coopmv

If I buy anyone of these Yamaha integrated's at all, it has to be the 801 ...

BuddhaBob likes this.
  16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I almost never use CDs so I didnt even think of that advantage. But when my current blu ray player dies I might upgrade to the Yamaha blu ray player that has the CD direct mode built in. That's another Yamaha purchase that I haven't decided on.

17. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

The WXC-50 looks interesting. Has anyone heard it?

18. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Woudl the 501 or 801 pair well with a pair of Elac B5s? Used pair in my area so i can audition them (45 minute drive) on his amp but not a Yamaha one...

19. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

20. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Running my B6's with a 801, good combo. IMO, the 801 is in the sweet spot. Beefier power supply makes it pretty much unflappable into any decent load, and the DAC is better than the lower priced stuff. I think it is good enough unless you can spring for the As2100.

Robert C likes this.
  21. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Think I should drop to the 501 to save some $$ since I would possibly be running the B5's though? Only reason I am asking is because I also need to pick up a Network Streamer soon and a Turntable ...$$$

22. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Oops waited till after work to order now accessories4less is out of the 701
    Now we play the waiting game

23. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Depends on where you want to end up. The 801 can handle much more expensive speakers in the future should you want to go there. Only you know your budget and what you want to spend. The 801 has a USB input that you dont get with the 501. I was using Pioneer SB22's when I bought the 801 and lived with that setup for awhile.

George P likes this.
  24. coopmv

Does Yamaha sell any external DAC?

25. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Keep an eye on Amazon too. I paid $511 for my (brand new) 701 back in November! That may have been an anomaly, but you never know what's gonna happen with their prices.
    There's also a brick & mortar store in Virginia called IQ Home Entertainment that sells via Amazon marketplace. They routinely offer open box Yamahas with full warranties and attractive prices. Might not hurt to just call and ask them. (they're an authorized Yamaha dealer)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.