Yamaha A-S801 Or Marantz PM8006?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

running the headphones does not run the power amp.
    it may not make the sound 100% to your liking but the amp needs to drive the speakers, 20 hrs minimum up to 200 hours.
    let it run all day at mid volume for 3 days and re evaluate. power supply and filter caps need time.
    i have heard these amps and they are not thin sounding.

2. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

'Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with the PM 8006. Sounds like you had a good one in the Vincent. Darn shame it's been unreliable.

I've had an Onkyo A-9555 (silver) since new. It seemed a bit picky about the speakers it liked to play with but once hooked up to my Paradigms, I thought it sounded good, particularly with CDs. Its onboard phono section seems to be its weak point. After some improvement using a couple of budget SS phono preamps, to me, the A-9555 took a quantum leap when I connected a Parks Audio Budgie phono pre (with upgraded tubes). I've read that there is some kind of magic when tubes are used with a Class D amp. Sure seems to be the case here.

Good luck in finding a replacement for your Vincent.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    rockin_since_58 likes this.
  3. DickyV

DickyV Forum Resident

For what it's worth I just replaced my NAD C320BEE with a PM8006 a couple of weeks ago and I mine sounded great right out of the box, even at flat tone controls/source direct (driving a pair of Vandersteen 1s). I just think you got a dud and should ask MD for a replacement (assuming you bought it from them). If it was a refurb then that's really bad luck, but return it anyway. One would think that a refurb would get special attention on the workbench and be tested before it goes back in the box.

4. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is a factory refurbished from MD. I've already pulled it out of the rack and am going to box it back up today. I have the Vincent back in the rack and it is very alive and punchy at very low volume. Maybe the Marantz just doesn't have enough power for the Elac's. The Vincent is 150 watts into 8 ohms with the first 10 being class A. The Marantz is less than half of the Vincent. Another thing I notice is the power transformer in the Marantz is miniscule in size compared to the power transformer in the Vincent.

5. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

Yes, that Vincent has a nice beefy power supply. It might be a little bit of a search to find a suitable replacement sound wise since it is a hybrid.

One integrated I've been eyeing is the Denon PMA 1600NE. Made in Japan I believe, 3-year warranty, dual mono, bass & treble, phono stage, DAC, 70 watts/channel and weighs in around 39 pounds, so it must have some iron. But I have no opinion as to the sound. MD and Crutchfield carry them. Bummer on the Marantz but it happens. Part of the hobby I guess.

6. rockin_since_58

I have the Marantz all packaged up ready to return. After getting all packed, I saw the remote was sitting on the table next to my listening chair so had to open it up to put it back in the box. I will call MD for a return tomorrow.

I kinda have my eye on a Primaluna Evo 200 or 300. I have an insurance settlement coming in about 30 days. Fortunately, Upscale Audio is maybe an hour's drive from me. They carry the Primaluna line as well as the Elac Carina towers that I have. I am hoping that if I choose this path that they would be able to setup a demo with the Elac's so I can get a good idea how they sound together. The only thing that concerns me about the Primaluna amps is that there are no tone controls.

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I believe h has a dud as well.

8. Slippers-on

Remember I have Vincent separates as well as Marantz Reference. Neither sound like your Marantz. Your idea that the Marantz isn’t enough for the Elac’s is not possible unless it’s flawed. I believe yours Is flawed. Return for exchange would be in your best interest. Sorry that unit didn’t work out for you. It’s really a a great Unit if it’s without flaws.

jusbe likes this.
  9. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Marantz vs Rega Brio?

10. rockin_since_58

I have the Vincent back in the rack and sounds amazing. Full dynamic range even at very low volume. Gonna get the Marantz sent back and look for something equivalent to the Vincent and hopefully something I can audition first. I will just leave the cover off the Vincent and wiggle the tubes in the sockets when the problem occurs.

ranch 22b likes this.
  11. rockin_since_58

What I will do when I call MD is to ask them to put it on the bench and check it out. If they find it to be defective, I will ask for a replacement that they test first of course.

12. Slippers-on

I’m sure whatever amp you go with if not flawed will be great! But seems the good money your’re throwing out, Vincent could have been repaired cheaper. That hybrid sound is excellent!

13. Slippers-on

From what you described, it has to be flawed. Tho I’ve never heard that line as I have the Reference, I’ve read of those who have that same amp and praising it!

jusbe likes this.
  14. audiomaniac

+1

15. rockin_since_58

The hybrid sound definitely is excellent. Perhaps if I find a decent replacement, I will then try to get the Vincent fixed.

16. Slippers-on

That’s a great idea as well! I think you should always have at least 2 great amps that satisfy the audio need.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  17. rockin_since_58

I came across a few reviews on Amazon for the PM8006 that say it severely lacked bass with 6 ohm low efficiency speakers which the Elac Carina's are. The Carina's are 6 ohm nominal and go as low as 4.8 ohms and are 87dB efficient. This may be the issue I am having.

18. Slippers-on

But you hooked up a sub, right?

19. audiomaniac

If you’re not totally opposed to tubes and like the idea of a hybrid, maybe check out the Rogue Sphinx or Pharaoh. They are here in the US and have great service. I speak from experience. I had a Cronus Magnum.

20. rockin_since_58

I do not have a sub. The Elac's have incredible bass performance on their own.

21. rockin_since_58

I have my eye on the Primaluna Evo line as there is a local dealer that should be able to setup a demo with the same speakers I have. Will have to wait a month or so for funds to make a purchase.

Slippers-on likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Gosh, ya think? Maybe do a little more homework next time?

TheMovieRad likes this.
  23. Slippers-on

Oh...I thought you had a sub in posting 131. I see it was just a speaker with large woofers.

24. rockin_since_58

Yes, speakers with 15" woofers. They are 95dB efficient and they didn't sound good either. Those speakers sound good with all 3 of my amps, just not the Marantz.

Slippers-on likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

Well ever since the PM8006 arrived and returned, the Vincent has performed flawlessly. It will probably act up as soon as I submit this reply this has been 8 days.

Slippers-on likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.