Yamaha CD-S300 and CD-S700

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Are you referring to the 300 or the 700?

By the way, I am on my third Yamaha player. The last two (both entry level Yamahas) lasted over 6 years each.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm reading this thread with interest. I've been eyeing the Yamaha CD-S300, as my ancient Sony CDP-590 (which is obviously nothing fancy, but a total workhorse) is finally showing signs of its age and sometimes not functioning properly. The Sony is over 25 years old and has seen pretty steady use over the years, and only in the last couple of years has it started acting up. So, when I hear of contemporary CD players crapping out when the warranty is up, or even lasting only "over 6 years," I do find it a bit troubling!

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The 300. I can imagine most people use their CDPs several hours a day; not my case, because I also enjoy watching concert DVDs and listening to vinyl. I remember my CDP was very popular on record stores; every shop owner owned one and it worked from dusk till dawn, and it lasted 2 years that way. Then they would just buy the same machine. So I figured my listening habits would prolonged my CDP's lifespan to well over 25 years.

But just 6 years for a Yamaha ?! How about playing just 2 CDs a week like I do ? Can I expect to get 10 years out of it ?

c-eling likes this.
  4. George P

Playing just 2CDs a week, turning it off when not using it, I'd expect something more like 30 years.

What you listen to in a week, I exceed every single day. I average at least 30 hours per week on my CD player.

My CD-S300 is just over three years old and I haven't had a single problem.

5. George P

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Martin, you have any good used electronic stores/thrifts nearby? Most of my locals offer a 30 day return. I've had excellent luck finding some dirt cheap/still in operation players over the years. Good way to test the waters for different makes and models as well. Currently my local has a ton of multi changers.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

There's no such thing as returning an item to an electronics store that sells audio down here, unless the product is defective. Sure; you can return a TV to Wal-Mart if you didn't like it, but a CDP is sold at specialized audio store. Thrift shops are sadly an unknown concept, and whoever sells anything used, sells it for a small fortune. FFS the local Ebay is chock-full of non-working CDPs selling from U$35 and up. I MAY purchase one of those for the spares I need, and get a new optical unit from Ebay USA to prolong my CDPs life several years.

BTW a new CD-S300 goes for a good U$ 650 here.

cdgenarian and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

Sucks. Yeah I remember you talking about the prices and possible certain import "fees" you pay a few years ago, and that's if you even receive it.

cdgenarian likes this.
  9. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Oh, man. I also think about the poor Europeans who have that large VAT. Ouch!!

The Pinhead and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

However they have some of the best recorded music in history that cost's us a pretty penny in massive shipping fees (UK mainly) :laugh:

The Pinhead and cdgenarian like this.
  11. cdgenarian

Maybe the US will get a little relief from UK shipping fees after Brexit? :confused:

c-eling and The Pinhead like this.
  12. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I am in the EU and I must say Yamaha gear is pretty cheap here, even if our local VAT is 21%. Today I saw a CD-S300 advertised for € 195.

c-eling and The Pinhead like this.
  13. cdgenarian

Wow, that's only $227 USD. Even with VAT it is cheaper than in the US. Dang, I give up. :) I will no longer feel badly for VAT payers.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Holy crap, that's more than double what I see them going for new in the US! Amazon.com has 'em for around $300, for example.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

Seen it. Made me cry. Is the frontal brushed Al like on the Cambridge ? Or plastic ? Is the Cambridge any good ? (same retail price)

16. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I have the Yamaha CD-S300 for a few years now and I enjoy a lot from the cd player ,
    I like the sound a lot, natural sound with sparkle ,detailed ,Clear sound that I like/
    The Yamaha CD-S300 knows how to play correct cds with pre-emphasis and also play without problems cds with scratches.

I am glad you enjoy from that cd player George :)

17. George P

Thanks, I am glad I enjoy it, too. And even more glad that replacing it will only cost me $299.

forthlin and Front 242 Addict like this.
  18. The Pinhead

Read somewhere that if you skip a song you loose like an entire second of the start of the next song; is that true ? And that it takes several seconds for the player to start playing it ?

19. George P

Neither things are true on my cds300.

fogalu and The Pinhead like this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am curious how much of a step up the s-1000 would be on CD playback to the 300 and 700. It looks like a much heavier and well built machine and is still reasonably priced.

21. George P

Ive read bad stuff about the reliability of that one. :(

22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I'm not surprised. I think I read here on the forum a member having multiple problems with the s-2100, and that's a $3000 machine! If I spent that much I would be pretty pissed if I didn't get flawless performance.

fogalu and George P like this.
  23. George P

I might try one of the higher end Yamahas if they werent so big. My shelf is only 12" deep.

bruce2 likes this.
  24. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Not a problem with mine either for whatever that’s worth. Been a reliable performer for the 4-5 months I’ve owned it; knock on wood.

25. George P

Yeah mine has been going strong for 3 years with (at least 2hrs of) daily use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.