Yamaha CD-S300 and CD-S700

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The 301 has more dynamic range (100db vs 96db of the 300) and has a higher signal to noise ratio (110 vs 105 on the 300.)

cdgenarian likes this.
  2. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Wow, this has been an informative read. Things learned.

1) After purchasing a new CD player, run it for at least 150 hours to see if anything crops up before the warranty expires.
    2) Some players can load significantly faster if there is a USB stick attached, so it doesn't have to wait to timeout reading that source.
    3) Remember Accessories4Less.com when its time to buy some new audio equipment, like a 2 channel Yamaha amp.

As it is, my non-SACD transport is now a Panasonic UB-9000 so I am covered for anything else with that.
    Otherwise my SACD is my Yamaha DV-S5860. These S-300s sound very intriguing.

George P and cdgenarian like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Are there any CDs with more than 90 dbs dynamics out there ? My guess is they are very rare classical ones only, and no rock CDs at all. Plus, 105 SNR is so good I don't think you can hear an improvement at 110.

Archguy and cdgenarian like this.
  4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Some items at Accessories4Less are hundreds of dollars less than they are at Amazon, for example, the Yamaha 801 amplifier. What's the catch?

cdgenarian likes this.
  5. George P

The catch is the one I see at Accessories for less is refurbished, on Amazon they are new.

cdgenarian likes this.
  6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Yes, I just saw that, I should delete my post.

George P likes this.
  7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have the Yamaha CD S-300 but I got a problem. I use Optical out and with every change of track I get a rather sharp clear click in the speakers. Sort if digital. Only when I change track with the remote and not when it passes through tracks automatically. I don't get this with RCA out.

Anyone else experience this on digital out? It's really annoying..

8. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

Just to acknowledge your post I use RCA and happy, so no help for you. Hopefully someone else has a say.

9. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Yes - I have the exact same problem with the CD S-300 but only occasionally. It occurs when I use coaxial out and does not occur through analog connections. Also, it only occurs when changing tracks with the remote - not when playing a CD in full.
    The click (which I don't find very loud) doesn't bother me that much as I seldom change tracks manually and if I feel like doing so, I switch to the analog output.

I have noticed another odd thing with digital connections and this CD player - but this only applies to CD-Rs. When I change tracks with the remote it doesn't hit the exact spot but comes in a couple of seconds early - that is I hear the last two seconds or so of the previous track.
    As I've said, none of these anomalies occur when playing through RCA leads.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    George P likes this.
  10. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

@dianos @fogalu

Do you guys find better sound quality by using coaxial/optical out vs RCA out?

11. fogalu

To be quite honest, I can't hear any difference between digital and coaxial. Maybe it's my Yamaha A-501 amplifier which seems to agree very much with the S300.
    But more likely it's my advancing age!
    :)

Radio and FloydVivino like this.
  12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Between RCA and Digital out. Oh yes. My external DAC is way better. Between Toslink and Coax, not that I can hear.

Ok, then it's not a defect then. Will see if I keep it or change to another one. It shall be silent when changing tracks IMHO.

FloydVivino likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would guess it’s possible they are essentially the same DAC?

14. fogalu

I could be wrong but - yes, I think they both use the same or similar Burr Brown DACs.

15. George P

The 501 uses a Texas Instruments PCM5101 chip.

fogalu likes this.
  16. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

You can’t hear any difference because coaxial is digital.

Or was it your intention to say that you can’t hear any difference between coaxial and optical?

17. fogalu

:oops:
    Oops! My mistake! What I meant to say was that, nowadays, I can't hear any difference between a digital and an analog connection between my Yamaha CD Player and Yamaha amp. Sorry about that!

However, about ten years ago, when my ears were sharper, I did prefer coaxial to optical but now, at my advanced age, even MP3 sounds good.

But I'm still enjoying my music! :D

The Pinhead and Werner Berghofer like this.
  18. fogalu

Well, I did say I could be wrong.
    I can't seem to get anything right today! (See above).
    And I haven't even started drinking yet. ;)

George P likes this.
  19. Greg Fox

Greg Fox Member

:righton: I have a bunch of those Radio Shack cords. they are nice and thick; I assume there is more insulation internally, though it could just be a thicker jacket...

I was looking at the rack mounted version, since my Revox B225 (with optional rack ears) died. I've been standing in with an older LG blue ray player (pre smart tv), which also takes for ever to start a disk, though track to track seems ok. I think this would be a deal breaker. Otherswise, I've been looking into used stuff like
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C or Musical Fidelity M6CD, though I'm concerned about the ability to use current digital media (iphones and ipads etc), but I have no interest in streaming.

After my Revox, most consumer stuff is just so F'n ugly (e.g. NAD gear).

20. Greg Fox

Greg Fox Member

I've only ever owned one Yamaha product besides my rack. It was a surround sound amp and it **** the bed pretty early. It sounds from the above, that I might be happier and spending less on a Music Hall c-dac15.3 dac CD Player

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2020
  21. The Pinhead

22. George P

The Pinhead and c-eling like this.
  23. The Pinhead

Go with the Yammie; best 300 bucks ever spent. It would have been my option had I not gone Oppo.

24. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

Anyone having problems with their CD-S300? I wanted to listen to a cd today, and I noticed it took way longer to open the disc tray. Then when I put the cd in, it’s telling me there’s no disc. I don’t hear anything spinning at all, not even for a second. Tried a few different cds, it’s just toast. The usb is still working thankfully.

I’ve read a few people on amazon with the same problem. Anyone here experience this?

I bought it from Best Buy with a 4 year warranty. But it says it’s “sold out”. I also noticed crutchfield is backordered. Is this thing discontinued?

Anyone ever dealt with Best Buy with their extended warranties when the same item is not available? Not much to choose from.

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

How long have you had yours?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.