"Yellow Submarine" DVD Out Of Print

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

If you've ever wanted to pick up the DVD of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine, but have waffled for one reason or another, get it now, because according to the new Beatlefan magazine, the disc is now out of print. Apparently, there's yet another legal problem that's popped up, and MGM will not re-press the disc.

They're still in the stores all over the place if you need one, but get it now before it winds up all over eBay!
    :rolleyes:

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What legal problem can it be this time?

I have my copy :) can"t really see YS/DVD sky rocketing in price on ebay though !

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Of course this could be a temporary deletion, too, as MGM has taken some of the Disney playbook and used it to temporarily toss certain titles or series, the James Bond and Pink Panther films the most obvious examples.....even so, I agree with Rich: if you don't have a copy--and why wouldn't you--good time to get one before it really DOES get the boot, at which point the eBay sharks will be out and you know what that means....:eek:

ED:ed:

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I've always waffled because it's so darn expensive, at least as far as DVD's go. Damn this thread, now I may have to go get it!

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I'm lucky to have recently bought it in Montreal at its lowest price yet- $15.99.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've seen many in USED shops also...They are disappearing as we speak into the hands of the "Rare"& "OOP" dealers.:laugh:...
    Look what happened to "A Hard Day's Night" ! I'm glad I still have my original DVD release...If and when they re-release it, i'm sure something will be changed:rolleyes:

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, you never know if it'll be mucked with upon re-release.

Get this especially because for once, Apple did this right. Superior picture and sound, in many ways one of the best DVD's I have ever watched. Besides, your children(or cousins or whoever)will always get a kick out of this, so you need it around your house.

Evan

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

there are still people who don't own Yellow Submarine on DVD? :eek:

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Amazon has this available to ship ASAP, so it's not hard to find just yet. Probably won't become TOO rare. Unlike the original "Hard Day's Night", it spent a LOOONG time on the shelves, so there are an awful lot of copies out there...

10. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Yep, this will not be like Criterion's "Spinal Tap" (I think that was on the shelves less than a year).

11. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

This is a great DVD to have, whether you're a Beatles fan or just a movie fan. It's a great transfer, and my daughters love it too.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Too bad it is/was not anamorphic. ("Enhanced for widescreen TV's")

13. Oatsdad

Yeah, but it's 1.66:1, so the lack of anamorphic isn't a huge loss. It'd be nice, but it's not as important was with wider flicks...

14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

We have to remember one thing here - this is the Beatles. Anything out-of-print by them is going to command a premium. While I realize this dvd has been on the market for nearly five years and has sold thousands of copies, once the existing stock is gone and new fans try to hunt this down, watch out.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

True, but it would look a lot better on my projector!!! :D :D

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The DVD of Yellow Submarine may still be widely available, but what about the laserdisc? MGM/UA did actually release the remastered widescreen version of this on LD in 1999. It was the last new laserdisc title I ever bought since this was before I owned a DVD player. I figure these must have been made in real small quantities. Anyone else have a copy?

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Is this a move by Apple or MGM? Perhaps Apple wants to release it on their own, a'la Anthology and The First U.S. Visit.

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Jeff,

I have one. It has a blue cover just like the DVD. I think the sound quality of the DD soundtrack is a bit better on the LD. I kept my original YS LD, as there was that one change at the end where they added "Hey Bulldog".

:-jon

19. Oatsdad

And on my WEGA!

20. At one point I did see the video contract for this title. Apple gave MGM only a certain period (I think it was five years) from the initial release date to distribute the title. This contract came after a legal battle between Apple and MGM in which it was determined that MGM did not have the right to release the title on home video. MGM had released it on laserdisc and VHS (for only $29.98!) in 1987 and had to pull it from the market in 1991.
    Perhaps Apple decided not to renew the contract.

21. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Jon,

I agree with you on the sound. The LD sounds excellent when you compare it to the DVD which is a bit compressed but still is great also. This movie was on my want list for a long time. By the time I bought an LD player in 1993, Yellow Submarine had already been out of print for two years.

Jeff

22. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

undefined
    Unbelievalbe!!!

23. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Never even seen it.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There are a number of issues with the disc. The widescreen framing looks odd in a number of places, but none more conspicuous than the reinstated "Hey Bulldog" sequence. I have no access to original film elements to confirm or deny this, but I suspect that this sequence was not intended to be matted to 1.66:1 or possibly the only surviving elements were not complete frames. The only other explanation would be that it was framed very very badly. :(

One definite technical gaffe is that the ostensibly "original" mono track actually switches to 2.0 stereo for nearly a complete reel of the film. The entire bit from the layer change after "All Together Now" until just before "Nowhere Man" is in stereo. This includes both "When I'm 64" and "Only a Northern Song".

Regards,

25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Could the reason it's deleted be to finally fix this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.