"Yellowjackets" on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

I really enjoyed some of the alternate versions of the opening theme too. Shudder to Think and That Dog were both very good bands back in the day so having members from both composing the non-needledrop music is a plus even though the 90s buzz-bin tracks dominate.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

That really woozy version that opened episode 7 was great. The song gets in my head constantly.

Lars Medley likes this.
  3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

The opening edit sequence and accompanying theme is one of my favorites for any new TV series in years. It's totally unsettling and crazy and perfect. Very cool. I also like how the opening credits sequence has evolved over time, adding new shots and changing in small ways over time. And the music in the episodes itself has been great. A lot of good 90's music, with great and contextually appropriate emphasis on female vocalists.

proedros, StillFlying, mds and 2 others like this.
  4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The way the opening changes always messes with me. I’m constantly wondering if the thing I just noticed was always there or not (like Misty in front of the red curtain)

StillFlying, SRC and Lars Medley like this.
  5. mds

mds Forum Resident

I’m surprised no one said “takes like chicken”.

numer9 likes this.
  6. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

I just binge watched this. I wouldn’t give it a full score, but very enjoyable nevertheless. And Christina Ricci is great

7. user931

user931 Well-Known Member

I heard of the name but haven't seen it yet.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

She probably just had to use the restroom. Sometimes nature calls with great urgency! :agree:

9. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Just finished season one and going to start season two. It is available on Paramount Plus in the UK, I just bought a year's subscription at a deal rate and decided to explore some of the shows available.

Two of my friends whose judgement I trust rave about the show, so I gave it a go. Watching the first two episodes I could not follow the timelines nor distinguish among the characters and nearly gave up. Then I watched the third episode with my tablet and the pause button to hand and looked everyone up so I could figure it out. Took ten minutes, and after that I have been hooked. Best thing I have seen for a while. I am rewatching the first two episodes and of course everything now makes sense.

The first page of comments on this thread are a salutary lesson. This is the sort of reaction new shows have to navigate before establishing themselves as some sort of success and become memorable to their fans, once they reach those fans. There is no way the acting in this series could be described as terrible, incomprehensible you could call it 'appalling bad' (sic).

I honestly think some viewers are just waiting to vent scorn on anything that does not grab them immediately, no critical faculties or capacity to absorb something that does not resemble at first encounter what they were anticipating. Imagine if shows like Twin Peaks, The X-Files, Cheers had started out at the time of such internet sniping. Would they have survived intact?

[​IMG]

This experience has certainly taught me a valuable lesson about relying on internet chatter as opposed to one's own direct experience.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    Doggiedogma, JoeRockhead, mds and 3 others like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

lewis was the weak link. glad she's gone.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m going to be mad that the Emmys snubbed Sophie Nelisse all year

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wow!

Bonkers season!

rikki nadir likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Nat was the last one with a
    shred of humanity, her last
    act was a noble one

SRC likes this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I agree, really enjoyed her character. I liked the dynamic between Misty and Nat as adults, not only because I think the actors played off each other so naturally and entertainingly, but because of the contradictions there. Misty is outwardly super sweet (a lot of the time), but, at the risk of using the wrong term, she's a total sociopath and worse underneath that sunny demeanor. Meanwhile, Natalie is all tough and rough edges on the outside, but really had a good heart under that. I'll miss that interplay and kind of ironic contrast, one of the strong points of the series IMO.

Doggiedogma, KeninDC, Scott57 and 2 others like this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The whole show has had a recurring theme of best friends hurting or killing each other. It was so sad to see Nat die because of Misty

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Walter is a piece-of-work! yikes!

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

just talking about lewis the actor. i thought she was really bad in this, plus she's about 10 years older than the rest of them. not being ageist at all, and i've liked lewis in other stuff.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

She's 7 years older than Christina,
    who's the youngest

JL - 1973
    Christina - 1980
    Melanie Lynskey - 1977
    Tawny Cypress - 1976
    Simone Kessell - 1975
    Lauren Ambrose - 1978

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. in_the_fog

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The monologue Melanie has in the chop shop this season was unreal

rikki nadir likes this.
  22. in_the_fog

I had to Google Chop Shop but didn’t come up with much. Is it a new series?

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Oh no I meant the scene when she tracks down the guys that stole her minivan and threatens them

in_the_fog likes this.
  24. in_the_fog

Aha, yes, that was a great scene!

I hade some vague memories of a series by that name, but I found out it was from like 2009. My bad

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Melanie can be terrifying when she needs to be!

rikki nadir and in_the_fog like this.