Yellowstone - 2018 Western series Kevin Costner

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Jun 20, 2018.

1. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Good show. All caught up after a few days of binge watching. If you told me Quentin Tarantino was writing dialogue for Beth, I'd have to believe you. At times she sounds like Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.

dmiller458 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

btw does everyone realize the producer, creator and writer of the show is the mean guy doing the rodeo horse stuff for the yellowstone ranch? like the guy who is supposed to pick the best horses and best team and win a bunch of money.

proedros and artfromtex like this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes the blonde rugged cowboy/rancher is Taylor Sheridan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

yup the guy that was mean to jimmy in the truck dropping him off at 6666

JohnG likes this.
  5. JohnG

When I first saw him in those roping scenes I said to my wife this guy might be an actor but he looks like a real rancher, not just acting. I was surprised to find out this production is all him. Looking forward to his newest show 1883.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Taylor Sheridan was a semi-regular on "Sons of Anarchy".

dmiller458, JohnG and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Not only is Taylor Sheridan the true voice of Yellowstone, in reality he's part owner of the 6666. Today I saw that he's coming out with a new series; Kansas City(?), that going to star Tom Hanks. The dude is on a white-hot winning streak!

JohnG, jwoverho and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I was thinking it was like a soaped up present day Bonanza, but really it resembles Big Valley even more or a combination of the two. Pretty much the same characters Patriarch, lawyer son that doesn't like to get his hands dirty, straight forward Cowboy son, estranged wild son, and a beautiful daughter ( given a much darker personality here).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was wrong, apparently it's not Hanks, it's Sylvester Stallone! My bad! I'll tell ya something else, I watched another Sheridan project; Mayor Of Kingstown. This show's got me comparing it to The Wire & Oz! It's not as good as they were but just the fact that I'm comparing is pretty astounding, those were GOATS back in the day!

10. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Not a fan of the miserable Jimmy character; waste of a sub-plot imo. I'd rather more buckle-bunny content instead.

I've read that Hanks will have a part in a spin-off series called 1883. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill as Dutton ancestors

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I wish I could have a dollar every time Kevin Costner has said "son" this series.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Well, a little bit of controversy this week. Apparently, with 2 episodes left this season, there's been flack about how the series is going this year. This last episode featured bits that will lead into the new Yellowstone project, 6666, plus a section was dedicated to the 1883 stuff, plus commercials, plus non-stop promos for 1883, fans are saying the show had very little about Yellowstone, too many distractions. Well, regardless, 1883 pulled some mighty impressive numbers, I read the last show to pull in these type of numbers was Fear The Walking Dead in 2015! Not bad for a Western-type show! BTW, I thought 1883 was good. I guess I'm all in on Sheridan's universe as I'll continue to watch this and 6666, Mayor of Kingstown and whatever else he's got up his sleeve. Like I said before, the dude's on a roll!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

MoK had me crying for Iris.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't think the plot (is there a plot) has advanced a single inch this whole season.

2 shows left, so what happens with the will paxton character? because nothing, absolutely nothing, has been with it yet....oh yeah and baby mama, what is her story?

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the season even if it may not be moving at a fast enough pace. It probably helped I binge watched the first 7 episodes in 3 days.

Interesting I just read an article where Taylor Sheridan said he is currently writing the finale and the show will end sooner rather than later because he wants it all to keep moving.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh, i'm not saying i don't enjoy it, its the pace that is bad, the acting is a-1, top-notch across the board. mesmerizing actually, at times. still mind-boggling that nary a single one of them even got an emmy nomination.

Matthew Tate and tonyc like this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The show's not moving at the speed we're used to, but if you think about it, everyone has had his/her narrative changed this season. John, Casey, Beth, Rip, Jamie, Jimmy, hell, even Teeter's had her moments!

Humbuster and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. JohnG

Watched the finale of season 4 tonight and overall it was an off season for me. Lots of plot arcs that went places that were meh but maybe its all a setup for season 5.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’m watching the next-to-last episode right now (finale to follow), but I have to comment that the “life sentence” they want to give the hippie chick protestor is the single most ludicrous thing I’ve ever seen in this show.

How on earth did that seem reasonable in the writers’ room?

JohnG and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow. Just wow. I’ve been hooked on this show since I first started watching, but I found the ridiculousness of the final couple episodes enough to make me question whether I ever want to bother with it again.
    I probably will, because I tend to continue to follow things (tv, music artists) after I should know better, but I can’t imagine ever recommending this show to anyone again…

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. JohnG

Best part of last nights episode was the tomcat brawl between Jesse’s two love interests. Who knew that a veterinarian could brawl?
    I was expecting a wham bang finale to season 4 but it seemed to whimper to a close.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think they wanted to intentionally do the opposite of last season.

I guess there is only one mountain top in all of Wyoming to throw a body off of?

jpelg, JohnG and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. JohnG

Ha Ha.
    Guess no one has ever explored that ravine below the cliff. Is it full of complete skeletons of the enemies of the Dutton’s? :)

Linger63, jpelg, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this a sorta Dallas with balls, ie : soap ?

Matthew Tate and ronbow like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

yes

alexpop likes this.