Yellowstone - 2018 Western series Kevin Costner

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Jun 20, 2018.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sucker purchased dvd.
    It’s watchable I guess.
    Wish I spent the money on something else now.
    Does it get better the second season ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes. imo the first few episodes seemed to be a slow pace and then it picks up towards the end of season one

RSteven and alexpop like this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

With macho posturing

Matthew Tate and alexpop like this.
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I almost gave up on it towards the end of Season 1. It takes forever to establish the characters and get the stories going. But, it is worth sticking with it.

Matthew Tate and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

Theme music opening credits Game Of Thrones with horses. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. alexpop

Bought the s1/s2 dvd pack so more horse feathers… lol :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

finished S3 , onwards to S4

very entertaining show

costner is great hauser is fantastic and reilly is a GODDESS

Linger63, Blair G., RSteven and 4 others like this.
  8. The season four Blu-ray set has some amazing extras, some of the best I've seen for a television release in a long time. Pretty much the entire cast participates in them.

Yellowstone: Season 4 Blu-ray Review

RSteven and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Just finished watching all 4 seasons of this show. Its really fun to watch. The star is really Beth Dutton (Kelly Reilly). She steals every scene...no matter how ridiculous it is.
    Lots of great actors on this show. I hope they are done with the Jimmy plot.

12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Beth - sure! Jimmy? Not so much.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

Jimmy is good actor too. Watch how different he is doing interviews

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I liked 1883 better.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Read an article saying that there's been a true growth spurt on the show. The boys, Tate and Carter, have gotten a lot bigger since the last time the show was aired!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

That happened on Lost too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

This seems to be on Paramount + in the UK (contrary to some reports, which say it isn’t streaming free here). A friend of mine has been raving about it, so plan to watch it sometime.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Haven't seen Yellowstone but I heard good things about 1883 (attention to nature, scenery, it's slow, etc), plus unlike Yellowstone, it's set in a true Western time period.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    RSteven and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I've watched all four seasons of Yellowstone. So many people we know love this show and, frankly, I can't understand why. It's one of the few shows my wife and I disagree about. She really enjoys it, I'm.. meh.

My problem is with the writing. The dialog is often humdrum or forced. Frequently there are some really contrived situations. Beth getting pissed and storming out of the room has become a drinking game. Also, the show has way too many scenes of guys doing rodeo horse tricks.

The show's strengths are the acting chops of a select few of the cast (mostly Kostner and Hauser) and some great scenery/cinematography.

Speaking of Beth, sometimes I'm embarrassed for Kelly Reilly. Her wardrobe is often scant and overly suggestive, bordering on gratuitous. Some of it is how Reilly struts it and some of it is a production choice. Although I'm fine with some occasional sexuality onscreen, the way Beth is presented often feels awkward and unnecessary. In the real corporate world, nobody would take her seriously.

Yellowstone wants to be The Cowboy Sopranos. Taylor Sheridan writes what he knows and that's cowboy stuff and ranch stuff. Sheridan could do with a strong team of co-writers. Yellowstone has the potential to be a great show. As it is, it's just three stars out of five good.

All imo. :)

chuckgay, smilin ed and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Still enjoying this show, for the most part, but the “cat fight” episode this weekend (12/04/2022) was just stupid.

Had to gripe.

EricSwan and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thought this episode was one of the best of the entire series!;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The big theme for episode 5 (“Watch 'Em Ride Away”) is that growth & perspective can often only come from pain. Kayce is struggling to find his place as a man, son, husband, father, etc. for which clarity seems to finally be coming through mourning the loss of his son (the Native American jaunt last season didn't seem to do the trick). John's story to Summer about what happens when we all are born. Young Carter seems to have finally "gotten it" after all the pain he has experienced, as exemplified by his "Yes, sir" response to Lloyd's command to "pack for a spike camp" even though he doesn't know what that is (he now trusts he will learn). The fight between Beth & Summer (who clearly didn't understand what John was trying to tell her earlier) is the harsh, physical manifestation of that growth process.

Best line of the episode by Rip: "Beth...Let's put the crazy away."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    RSteven and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I enjoyed the first four seasons but I think this season is over the top. Beth makes me uneasy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Beth is the disrupter in the writer's toolkit. She's the wildcard that can be thrown into any situation to allow for even the craziest possible outcome. Fun as hell to watch. And she's paid the price, many times over the years too (forced hysterectomy, assault in her office, the office bombing, just to name a few biggies).