••• YES albums poll ••• 3 votes •••

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Sep 20, 2016.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Gotcha. Yea, the 2 Tampa shows I have are the earliest Ladder shows in my collection and they played New Language at night 1 at least. :)

2. JimW

JimW Forum Resident

Aaahhh Yes, the follies and freedom of Youth. I feel fortunate to have been a teen in the 70's, though if I could choose, I'd have been born 10 years earlier and been a teen in the 60's. But the 70's rocked! And the atmosphere was so much more laid back...

SirMarc likes this.
  3. JimW

JimW Forum Resident

What disc/ where did you get that? I'd like to hear NL live again. How does it come off? It was a real carnival atmosphere in my mind- Lots of uncontrollable laughter- not a common response for me to live Yes...

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Due to forum rules, I must refrain from telling you. ;)

AidanB and JimW like this.
  5. debased

debased Forum Resident

:laugh: Did they sell them in head shops or did you just steal one from a laboratory?

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You've got me by ten years or so. I was a teen in the 80's. But my favorite music has always been 65ish to 75ish.

Grew up with a very young audiophile dad who was born in the early 50's and had an awesome rig and record collection. I still use his Thorens TD145! He was cool enough to set me up with a very respectable rig of my own in the mid to late 70's. A Phillips lab receiver, JVC turntable and Ohm L speakers!

JimW likes this.
  7. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Fragile
    Close To The Edge
    Relayer

8. JimW

JimW Forum Resident

Hey buddy- long time no hear...

I have no idea where the guy got it from- he was a friend of a friend called Bear whose apt we went to for our journey- totally cool guy who played an awesome version of Mood for a Day. Total guitar freak- he told me about seeing Yes from the 4th row and taking binoculars so he could watch Steve's hands the whole show!

But I did get one myself later- one of my best buds was an electrician and he found one somewhere. Totally cool watching the waveforms roll by as you listen. I'd love to get another one- or better yet an app for my Tv or PS3. The one I had only lasted about a year until the tube died.

AidanB, debased and SirMarc like this.
  9. JimW

JimW Forum Resident

Sweet. I also inherited my love of music from my Dad, but he was no audiophile. I grew up listening to Ludwig V, Johann S, Amadeus, et al on one of those old stereo consoles. I did get a Panasonic system for Christmas one year (when I was maybe 15), which I quickly upgraded w/ HK speakers, then gradually replaced all the components until my 1st receiver- the venerable HK 330c, which replaced the last Panny piece. But it took a long time until I had anything even close to your 1st system- that was awesome of your Dad.

SirMarc likes this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah man. It was nicer than pretty much all my friends dads systems lol. That was actually my second system. The first was a Sears all in one guy with the Turntable built into the top of the receiver. Had one of those styluses that you could flip over. Don't remember if it was for 78's or just a second stylus.

I actually turned the cellar into my little stereo room at like 7 or 8 years old lol. How many 7 year olds are cranking Aqualung in their dedicated stereo rooms today? Lol

Edit: sorry for the hijack. Yes is my favorite band though lol

ben_wood and JimW like this.
  11. JimW

JimW Forum Resident

coolest. 7. year. old. ever...

:edthumbs:

SirMarc likes this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Lol, thanks bud. Still pretty cool though :cool:

JimW likes this.
  13. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Easy one for me. I'll include my preferred versions too just because :)
    The Yes Album (MFSL Gold)
    Fragile (MFSL Gold)
    Close to the Edge (AF SACD, which I found for $3 at Goodwill :goodie:)

14. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

I like The Yes Album and Fragile, but the former feels held back by Kaye and the latter is bitsy with the solo pieces.

Close to the Edge, Relayer, and Going For The One are my three favourites.

AidanB likes this.
  15. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

I’d be curious of the results without TYA, Fragile and CTTE...seems those 3 would be the sacred trilogy that no one would dare vote against.

16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

Yes, 69 {Just got this recently, different from what i had heard, it's all their, Chris Squire was so important to the Yes sound}
    The Yes Album, 71 {Perfect, Steve Howe!!!!}
    Relayer, 74 {Love this, Heavy}

AidanB likes this.
  17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'd like to add one of my faves to the list: The Yesterdays comp. The best tracks from the 1st 2 albums plus America

18. Andreas

Andreas Forum Resident

About 40% voted against the trilogy, i.e. they had at least one other album in the top 3.

19. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

This is the obvious and easy answer. Please be more original! (I wasn't)

20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

TALES !!!!!!!!!! (thank you Steven Wilson !)

chrisblower likes this.
  21. Frankh

Frankh Lucky Man

My votes exactly but the tossup was Tales and Relayer.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  22. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Well-Known Member

Fragile
    Going for the one

23. joepepitone

joepepitone It's money for dope, money for rope

1971 and 1972 for me. I had a bad experience in Madison Square Garden during the Tales from Topographic Oceans performance. I took it out on the band and stopped listening.

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Glad to see so many votes for Tales. Its always been a favorite of mine, but until I came to this site, I thought I was the only Yes fan that loved it

chrisblower and JimW like this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The Yes Album
    Going for the One
    Big Generator

I know it's quite unpopular but I have a lot of memories attached to Big Generator.The LP was given to me by my uncle when he bought the CD, so it's very sentimental.I was 9. It's a very dated album now, and most of the bad taste and pop rock cheesiness can be attributed to Trevor Rabin IMO...
    But it's pretty well done in the genre. I love Jon's vocals on it. He sings really well on this album, and that's a real plus. And I think there are interesting sections even on the poppier tracks (like on "Shoot High, Aim Low"). And still some proggish moments I like - as prog as an album designed for the MOR audience of 1987 could be, I guess. The end of side B has two long tracks, "Final Eyes"(which sounds like vintage Yes until the Trevor section kicks in), "I'm Running" (with classic Chris Squire bass) and "Holy Lamb"- a heartfelt Jon Anderson ballad (I like the transition between "I'm Running" and "Holy Lamb").

And you know what? Compared to "Union", "Big Generator" is "Relayer" anyway... :D

AidanB likes this.