Yes: All things about their 50th Anniversary Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ian christopher, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

No amount of money would bring Bruford back. He's too smart to get back into that mess.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

They need to ask Geddy.

3. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I can not believe hearts has not been played by them I figured it was pretty much Jon's signature 90125 track so seemed a lock and I was excited to get to hear it for my first time live.

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd love this, but I'm not sure Wakeman would go for it.

I'm definitely surprised "Hearts" hasn't been played by ARW though.

Rufus rag, DiabloG and AidanB like this.
  5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Oh crap you’re right the tour dates on the site are from last year. That would be cool, but I do want to hear stuff from Tales and Relayer still, and Rabin could pull it off with his chops if he just stays faithful to Howe’s tones and parts. I get that they like to do their “rearrangements” of the old stuff, and sometimes it works, but at other times, like cutting out the bridge in Roundabout, cutting out the ending of Pereptual Change, and changing the key of Awaken, it isn’t so great. I think for some things, especially songs like Awaken that were defined by the fantastic Howe parts, Rabin should try to stick closer to Howe’s original parts.

ian christopher likes this.
  6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

A wasted opportunity.

Why would I bother without Jon?

It's just more of the same weak band.

7. walrus

They're definitely not going to play anything from Tales, and Wakeman didn't play on Relayer.

Relayer is my favorite Yes album, but there's no one left who could adequately play it live. Not really interested in hearing Howe's band play "Gates" with a fill-in drummer and bassist, even if Moraz guests on it. I doubt they'd spend that much time rehearsing it to only play it once or twice when Moraz shows up.

stodgers and AidanB like this.
  8. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I could be wrong but lets see if I have this correct......

A band called YES is touring celebrating 50 years since they released their first album with only one legitimate member that is 70 years old and can't play in the correct tempo? Furthermore the 2 musicians that formed the band will not be on there to actually celebrate what they started and built. Are people going to pay to see this mess?

9. I remember an interview from around 2005 when he was asked whether he would ever join Yes again, he replied that it was a definitive no.

I'm sure the band could still put on a great show if the ARW and Howe/White camps could ever put aside their differences and join for a final tour. It would be a wonderful way to close out the band's career. I would love to see them, even if Bill Bruford is not going to be involved.

10. walrus

White could barely play even before his recent health issues. I genuinely don't think you'll ever see him play a full set on his own again, and if you do...it won't be pretty.

Bruford retired in 2009. He's not rejoining Yes, because he's not rejoining anything, drumming-wise. Sad (since I haven't read anything to indicate he was suffering from any major ailments that would've kept him from drumming), but the guy has earned his retirement, and then some.

AidanB and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not like he's doing nothing though-- Like many elder jazzmen (ie Max Roach at UMass Amherst), he's become a teacher.

PDK and walrus like this.
  12. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Not only pay, but pay top dollar. I think these folks even meet up at conventions and sail on cruise ships together to listen to what is essentially a sanctioned cover band.
    But to each his/her own. It's their money. Just a bit #sad
    Someone seemed a bit surprised that Tony Kaye's cameo appearance isn't receiving more exposure. Seriously? do you honestly believe his involvement is going to drive ticket sales? Wow.

Love,
    Billy

13. ElevatorSkyMovie

This is becoming an Eagles thread.....

14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

name any album in the yes discography and tell me which band has more members from that album in the band currently (I am counting tony kaye as being in yes at the moment)

15. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit) Thread Starter

Jon's vocals aren't inimicable for me, but he did sound beyond fantastic at the RnRHoF gig - he hasn't lost more than a centemeter of his range, and what he has lost has been replaced by a wonderful sounding high midrange, with tons of control and presence.

16. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Can’t argue with that, sad as it is

17. walrus

I was genuinely amazed at how good Anderson was at the ARW show I saw in 2016. I went in with fairly tempered expectations vocally (especially since Yes songs aren't really able to be transposed, aside from perhaps tuning down a half-step, which they also weren't doing) and was absolutely blown away. He started a little iffy, but as the show went on and his voice warmed up more, he got better and better. I have no idea how long he'll be able to keep that up, but if that show ends up being my last live Yes experience, I'll be completely okay with it.

18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

AidanB likes this.
  19. I saw ARW last year. And before that, my very first time ever hearing any sort of live show with anyone from Yes -- was Jon + Jean Luc Ponty a couple years before that.

And I was really blown away by Jon's voice and the fluidity of his technique. Maybe 10 years ago? - I'd heard he'd been having breath-support issues (was it asthma?) -- so I was not expecting to hear someone who was 70, easily singing as effortlessly as someone 20 years younger (and in that incredible range? - OMG!). How he does it, and how he STILL does it, is completely beyond me.

I don't mean to suggest that Jon's voice doesn't show any signs of age -- but to sing in that range like he still can, and for the length of an entire concert, is no small feat. He doesn't sound like he used to, sure, but neither did Bowie circa The Next Day (2012-ish), or David Gilmour (also 70+) with Rattle That Lock. Not that any of them sound the least bit 'bad' -- but their vocal quality is a bit different.

Anyway, Jon seems like he could largely continue for another 5 years or more, before having to curtail giving concerts of the current length of ARW's.

20. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I saw ARW last year and, as has been mentioned, his voice is in great shape. I was concerned it would to be diminished from his illness or just age. I was very impressed at how it sounded just as it did when I had heard it when he last toured with Yes.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The IQ level in the thread Every time somebody makes such a suggestion. If Bruford shut down Earthworks and didn't come out of retirement for King Crimson, he sure wouldn't be interested in this mess, like you said. The fact that he didn't speak or perform at the Rock Hall ceremony should have given enough indication.

22. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

I’m not a Trevor Rabin fan but he could shred the hell out of Going For The One!

23. JAG

wow it says a lot about this guy to say something like that, he has never done anything worthy of giving himself credit for yes

24. JAG

true but the song doesn't require shredding and I am not sure yes is a band that shreds in general or does howe "shred", but rabin can certainly shred

25. walrus

It's a great song, and I'm sure they could reinterpret it to fit his sound and it'd be interesting, but that entire song is built around Howe's pedal steel playing, which isn't a thing Rabin (As far as we know) does or has any interest in doing. There aren't many Yes songs that Rabin couldn't adequately pull off, but GTFO is at the top of the list for me, along with "Close To The Edge" and the Relayer stuff. Having said that, Howe attempting any Rabin song is generally an awkward disaster, so this certainly works both ways; they're two incredibly talented guitarists with very distinctive styles, and personally I think the Yes catalog as a whole is infinitely better because of both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.