"Yes" fans- album recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jun 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close to the Edge

That's their "classic" trilogy. If you like that, get into:

Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Relayer
    Going For the One
    Yesterdays
    (comp with highlights of first two albums; I like this comp because on their own first two albums are kinda spotty)
    Yessongs (live album)

After you're done with all that, or perhaps if you didn't like any of that, then go for 90125.

lucan_g and peskypesky like this.
  2. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Start with Fragile, then Yes Album, then Yesongs and Close to the Edge.

For a different feel, try Drama and 90125.

peskypesky likes this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Late to the party but I'll toss in my two cents and confirm the recommendation of others.

Yes, these filled my cup of Yes

[​IMG]
    Yes ‎– The Yes Album
    Label:
    Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– UDCD 779
    Series:
    Original Master Recording
    Format:
    CD, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered, 24 Kt Gold
    US
    Released:

[​IMG]
    Yes ‎– Fragile
    Label:
    Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– UDCD 766
    Series:
    Original Master Recording
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 24Kt Gold
    US
    Released:

[​IMG]
    Yes ‎– Close To The Edge
    Label:
    Audio Fidelity – AFZ 147
    Format:
    SACD, Hybrid, Stereo, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered
    US

These are as far as I went with the band but they are substantial albums that I have enjoyed for 48 years or so

slipkid and peskypesky like this.
  4. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I love it. Huge fan of Topographic.

SirMarc and boggs like this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Steven Wilson remix helpfully includes bite-sized "single edits" of all four Tales songs (two for Ritual).

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I recently saw their live show at the Apollo Theater, its later Yes, but I was impressed how good Anderson's
    voice was. The guitarist was excellent. Made me think about picking up the cd. It's available on dvd also.

7. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I agree it's a pretty unique album in their catalog and probably the most infamous. When people talk about prog rock's so-called excess, TFTO is usually their poster boy, with ELP Works a close second. It still merits a listen. You can't truly say you know Yes until you experience it at least once.

Tales has no hooks or compelling melodies to me. Granted, prog rock isn't about hooks like say blues-rock or arena rock, but it just comes across as meandering noodling. It reminds me of the scene in Amadeus where the king, having listened to Mozart's opera, comments "too many notes.... remove a few!" Was the king right? In the context of the movie, no, he was unrefined and just didn't "get" Mozart. In fairness to him, when people feel aurally assaulted or otherwise overwhelmed by a piece, it can sometimes simply be just that.

slipkid likes this.
  8. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Close To The Edge is essential, not just to Yes but Prog in general-if you're looking to own one Prog album, it's probably CTTE. :hide: I would suggest The Yes Album and Relayer as the next places to go. All outstanding records.

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

All their albums from the 1970s are equally great, each at its own of course, and probably I'll be the only one here who suggested Tormato as well, as their last great album, though criminally underrated.

On the Silent Wings of Freedom (from Tormato, 1978)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    laf848 and JustVinyl like this.
  10. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

The solo songs are all filler to varying extents. If they had left those off and added ‘America’ that would have made for a flawless album. Maybe keep Mood For a Day and The Fish.

11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Totally agree. Fish Out of Water is the best solo album, with Jon Anderson’s Olias of Sunhillow a close second.

peskypesky and Glaeken like this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Fragile and Close the Edge are both rock solid. I have a soft spot for the album Owner of a Lonely Heart comes off too.....

13. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I don’t know if I can seriously recommend anything to anyone who has a Kenny G avatar. I mean are you serious?

14. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Their debut is a must have. I have no idea why it gets dismissed so much, especially by Yes fans, when it's a truly terrific album start to finish.

15. BillM

BillM Forum Resident

As already stated several times, go for the Wilson Box Set, it is great. I would have been ok without Tales in there but it wasn't my call lol

And add Yessongs and you'll have all your bases covered ;)

My top three are Fragile, Relayer and Close to the Edge. All great start to finish in my opinion.

Algo_Rhythm likes this.
  16. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close To The Edge

Basically the Bruford era...

For me, everything else is non-essential.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Amazingly, it's the freshest-sounding one, to me. After all this time, too! My pick for a "desert island" Yes record.

Library Eye and boggs like this.
  18. Algo_Rhythm

Algo_Rhythm Forum Resident

Close to the Edge was recently listed in Rolling Stone magazine's top 500 all time album list so maybe it's not such a bad album to start with. I think these days it seems to be their most lauded and most recommended also even though it's not their best selling album(that would be 90125).

19. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

The trouble with recommending CTTE is that a new listener would have to get past the first 2.5 minutes :) It nearly put me off!!

20. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The studio albums are immaculately crafted. I suggest those as opposed to live. They also hang together well as albums and listening experiences - very well sequenced and immersive.

Classic:
    Yes Album
    Close to the Edge
    Going For the One
    Rabin 80s:

Library Eye likes this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I agree - I love the first 2 records, but I didn’t start with them and would suggest anyone should start there.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  22. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close to the Edge
    Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Relayer
    Going For the One
    Tormato

Drama, 90125 & Big Generator & Union are good "digital age" albums too, although not as "70's proggy" as their 70's album output is

Forget the first 2 Yes alums, until you've dug enough into the above

Venture past 1991 (studio albums) at own risk, here be dragons

23. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Active Member

I have owned everything Yes has ever put out, if you are on a tight budget and can only afford 2 Yes albums, you can get, in my opinion, 95% of their greatest music with just these two!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Buddybud and Glmoneydawg like this.
  24. Algo_Rhythm

Algo_Rhythm Forum Resident

Close to the Edge
    Fragile
    Relayer
    The Yes Album
    Going for the One
    Drama
    Tales from topographic oceans

In that order. After those then go back to the first two then Tormato then the later stuff. Classic Yes or some other compilation would be good too if someone is just starting out.

Library Eye likes this.
  25. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

To cover the most ground where they're excelling at fairly different styles without ever hitting anything that feels like retread of something they'd already done better I'd say, chronologically:
    • Yes
    • The Yes Album
    • Fragile
    • Close To The Edge
    • Relayer
    • Drama
    • Yesshows (live)*
    * on this one you get: the title track / poppiest song from 2nd album, not included in above list; the three songs from Going From The One that made me want to include it in above list and neither of the songs that made me skip it; one song you will already have from the above list — the track that takes up side one of Relayer (so you could check this out first, before Relayer but Relayer I think is one of their top five albums…); the best song from generally dreadful Tormato; and a side-length song (split on vinyl of this across two sides) from their effort to prove all the naysayers right about Prog, Tales From Topographic Oceans (though I'd really prefer it were The Revealing Science of God included here instead of Ritual) performed by the Relayer lineup, as is the one Relayer selection (the rest of the numbers are performed by the Tales/Going For The One/Tormato lineup).

{Or you could just start with Yessongs, which is live representation of stellar The Yes AlbumFragileClose To The Edge run of albums.}

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Algo_Rhythm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.