Yes master tape for sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

eBay has a 4 track sound effects tape up for auction that Yes used for their Topographic Oceans album.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Jamie, two questions:

Is selling such a tape kosher? I've always wondered if that sort of thing was 'grey area' or what?

If that's the 4-track effects master, what do they do if they want to remix for DVD-A? Would the TALES multis have that effects tape mixed down to one(or more)tracks, or a copy of what's being sold, or what?

Forgive my ignorance; I'm new here:D

ED:cool:

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Pretty cool!

So... how much ya gonna bid? ;)

HZ

4. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I'm bidding on this... it'll go great in my office.

I dig stuff like this...

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

:laugh: :laugh: With twice as many posts:p

The way they probably did this (or the way I've dealt with things like this) is to compile the sound effects on another tape, like the one for sale, (or project on my RADAR) and mix them to one or two tracks on the multitrack tape with the song on it.

As for the legality, who says they legally obtained the sounds in the first place?:angel: I recorded an album with a bunch of train sounds on it. We had tons of sound effects discs and eventually just lost track of which sounds we used. I'm sure we neglected to pay somebody.:love: Oh well.

If they were going to re-mix this album in 5.1 (God help us all!) it would be nice to have this tape but those sounds have to be on the 24 track somewhere. Besides, if they're going to be mixing this album, finding isolated sound effects would be the LEAST of their worries!:D

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Wouldn't that be the whole album?

Seriously, if this is "just" a compilation tape of dubs from the sound effects library found in many studios, no big deal. But if, as it appears to be, these recordings are unique to this tape, then I would think they would need it to remix from scratch. The one track named "vocal [something]" is a concern.

7. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Hmmm, looking at the picture of the box..."Sonic Seasons (Winter & Autumn)" -- any relation to the "Winter" and "Fall" movements of Wendy (then Walter) Carlos' Sonic Seasonings album? And I assume "Mimaroglu" is referring to composer Ilhan Mimaroglu. Maybe recovering some of the originals won't be too difficult? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.