Yes!? NO! - The all purpose Yes arguing and complaining thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's the spirit! :winkgrin:

2. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] I miss Igor Khoroshev. Probably YES' best keyboard player and he had the "rock star" thing down.
    He could play Wakeman better than Wakeman; and speaking of Rick Wakeman, once he returned to YES......the new albums stopped.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    bruce2 likes this.
  3. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

What happened with Igor? I've heard that there was some unpleasantness, but found no concrete info about his departure...

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Not sure....but...I've heard, that Igor got "out of line" with a woman who worked at one of the concert venues. Can any one else confirm or deny this?

5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I absolutely love Drama! I first heard it without prejudice, as they say--it was my second Yes album after 90125, and its complexity, majesty, unpredictability, and even the earnest melancholy of Horn's lyrical and vocal approach stood out to me as far more enjoyable than what was going on with 90125 (though obviously I liked that well enough to seek out more). My favorite moments include the various and sudden mood shifts in "Machine Messiah," the contrast between that track's sprawl and the almost surreal concision of "White Car," the soaring, surprise coda to "Does it Ever Happen," the wonderful climax (more-or-less when the vocoder joins in) to to the carefully constructed build-up of "Into the Lens," those weird, otherworldly synth effects that seem to float like alien fireflies around "Run Through the Light," and, of course, that bassline combined with old-school Hammond on "Tempus Fugit." This is one of the few Yes albums where I feel like every single instrumental choice, every arrangement, and every lyrical line just somehow works. But I can totally understand why fans long used to Anderson's more transparent, "celestial" approach would find much of it kind of clunky in comparison (and I can see why just knowing that the new members had been called "The Buggles" might have prejudiced some people beyond repair, though I'm not suggesting that's the only reason one could have for not liking the album).

My next Yes experience, after 90125 and Drama, was Fragile. That, of course, blew me away as well! In some ways, the two albums have more similarities than may initially meet the eye in their variety of styles, song lengths, surreal touches, etc.--obviously IMHO.

6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

What? A guy playing in a rock era band displaying his tail feathers? *gasp*!

7. zen

zen Senior Member

I know right! Igor had the rock star thing down.

[​IMG]

8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

He doesn't look much like a rock musician there. He looks like a geek dressed to go to a yuppie nightclub.

9. Harvest Your Thoughts

but he has a little beatnik drum ready to go!

10. NorthNY Mark

According to Wikipedia: "Igor left Yes after their Masterworks Tour. Following an incident involving two female security guards on that tour, Khoroshev was charged with assault and battery and sexual battery,[1] although the matter was later settled out of court."

The link to the external article is no longer active.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Pray tell what a rock musician is supposed to look like? Bandana, greasy hair and a mustache? He looks okay to me.

zen likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Two females?! Oh là là. :shh: Just kidding ladies.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Hum, I thought you were a musician? Looks shouldn't matter to you; especially for a band like YES.

Perhaps I should have gone with this safer choice.............................................>[​IMG]..

GodShifter likes this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

I wish people wouldn't be quite so lighthearted about accusations of sexual assault. I'm sure that none of it is intended this way at all--but it could add to the common perception that male subcultures tend to subtly encourage that kind of behavior.

JulesRules and longaway like this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Don't know about that, but I believe everyone must take responsibility for their own actions.

Let us keep it on a musical track from here on. :righton:

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

I would have much prefer Igor on the new album instead of Downes.

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Not a fan of Open Your Eyes (sold that one back) or Billy Sherwood but I really like the rest of it to varying degrees. I include Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe and that symphonic album in that too. Not much I don't like, really.

That said, I've pretty much given up on them as a going concern after about 2004.

18. Harvest Your Thoughts

I was just listening to some of the Anderson/Wakeman album The Living Tree on youtube. Anderson's voice sounds extrememly frail. Without a doubt Yes made the right decision to carry on, it's just a shame that Jon Davison wasn't found first for Fly From Here.

19. zen

zen Senior Member

Getting into FFH lately (while I patiently wait for late July), Benoit David was a perfect voice-choice. Sometimes he sounds like Trevor Horn in great form.

[​IMG]

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Every once in a while I read something and laugh out loud.

SuntoryTime and Pupalei like this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

'Cuz the Mellotron has been drinkin', not me!

22. Harvest Your Thoughts

I think JD is better... and seeing some of the footage of BD live makes me cringe, so I imagine that when I hear that album. BD didn't seem to have the natural confidence that JD shows.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

You may be right, but he is a great studio vocalist as far as I'm concerned. Not every throat is cut out for the road and the world tour life.

Meng likes this.
  24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

He did help in making me think of Yes as a band collective of musicians that come and go.

I think Jon Anderson is less important to Yes than most people make out.

vinylphile and Carserguev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.