Yes!? NO! - The all purpose Yes arguing and complaining thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

ARW – Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, and Rick Wakeman » It's Yes versus Yes West again. Strange that an English / South African band is just touring the US.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  2. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

not really, it is bits and pieces rehashing old music to trick fans into forking over money to 70 year olds that are way past their prime

at least in the eighties they were still able to perform and producing worthwhile material

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

4. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Pretty much. Yet I'm strangely compelled, and have tickets to both "bits and pieces" shows.

ARK likes this.
  5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Mixed feelings. Last time they were here, it was Jon Davidson, who was better than Benoit David. It was still a bit disconcerting, but this still featured Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White. Geoff Downes had a Yes history, so that was at least something other than baby Wakeman. Without Squire, there was a lot lost. However, a friend has "front of the stage" tickets for an outdoor show at the same gig as last time. Otherwise, this wouldn't have appealed, and it really was a surprise that they didn't hang it up for good after Squire's passing. Not sure how Drama and a side of Topographic will go over with a mixed crowd though.

6. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Just scored a decent seat for the AWR Denver show at $145 a ticket, seems a bit steep. I was interested in the sound check ticket but for $550 no way! Meet and Greet was $750!!

Want to see JA at least one more time.

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  7. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I got a somewhat less decent seat ($92 total) for that night. I saw Jon a few weeks back in Boulder, and while the show itself was uneven Jon himself sounded wonderful.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Going to the Keswick. $48.50 ticket with $25 in fees. First time I can recall seeing fees that were half the cost of a ticket. I am sure AXS is making much more profit than the band is after their respective expenses are taken into account. Obscene.

9. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

If anyone has the chance, I recommend seeing Anderson/Ponty. They really are a GREAT band, and Anderson really is pushed to great heights by Ponty's accomplished musicianship. As a longtime Yes fan, the band that now calls themselves YES does not interest me anymore. I'm looking forward to Anderson's collaborations, including ARW.

JimW likes this.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Post 80's, there have been a number of worthwhile albums - Talk, Keys to Ascension studio, The Ladder, Magnification, and even Fly From Here are all good to very good. In Magnification's case I think it's excellent.

11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Anyone have any updates on the Steven Wilson re-do of Tales?

12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    He's formally announced it on Facebook, and Howe has talked about it on the current tour, but no date as yet.

13. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Rick has already stated that he won't be going, this from his website:

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!............news has broken that YES are to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and so before the barrage of questions start arriving to the website, here are the answers to what I’m guessing will be the most asked questions......and no others will be answered!!! [Webmaster note - no emails regarding this will be forwarded or replied to]

Q. Are you pleased YES have been inducted?

A. Well I would have been if it had happened years ago when it was really well deserved. I find it hard to come to terms with the fact that so many bands are inducted into the Hall of Fame too late in their careers after key members have passed away. Classic examples are The Who and John Entwistle, Deep Purple and Jon Lord and now YES and there will be no Chris Squire.

Q. Will there be a sort of YES reunion at the induction and will you be part of that?

A. I have no idea if there will be any sort of reunion, but whatever happens under no circumstances will I be any part of it, neither will I be attending.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

There was a band, Gomachi, some friends of mine were in during college. By listening to them I would swear they were influenced by Yes, but when asked none of them admitted to ever listening Yes.

16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Good for Rick: I hope the rest of Yes tell them where to stick it, as well.

I don't think Steve Howe will br able to resist, though.

bobloblaw likes this.
  17. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to know who exactly from Yes will be inducted. Has anyone found a link which gives such details? Cheers

18. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

The eight from the union line up.

19. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

Now Chris has gone & Jon is no more in the band . How can they carry on under the name of Yes? For the money ? No more stellar voice , no more big special "fish" sound bass, no ... It's a joke ! Remember Chris & Jon are the founding members; the others came after.

bruce2 and coolsound like this.
  20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Not a fan or current Yes, but...
    I am surprised how well Billy Sherwood has approximated Squire's classic Rickenbacker 4001 sound.

gja586 likes this.
  21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Personally I think refusing to attend is a bit silly. A couple well-chosen lines inserted into in the acceptance speed would be far more effective and pointed:

"Thank you. It's a shame this music wasn't recognized by the decision makers when its heart and soul -- Chris Squire -- was still alive to be part of it. Perhaps a lesson for the future."

That would get MUCH MORE press than pouting in the corner...

Stormrider77, ARK, Steve B and 6 others like this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Sigh... posting with a phone is never a good idea... "inserted into the acceptance speech"... no tempus fugit "speed" reference intended...

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

The hall of fame, is a complete joke, as is Rolling Stone.

I'm glad RW is telling them where to stick it.

Dr. Mudd, AidanB and Meng like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

No he's not. He's not telling them anything. Sitting in the shadows is not saying a thing. Standing in front of them -- when you have been given a platform -- and saying something... respectfully... is telling them.

It's like a voter who says "I'll show them by not casting my ballot"... yeah... real effective...

25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I don't think he is pouting or in any shadow, I am not even sure he wants to send any message. Like Peter Gabriel, Peter Cetera, Roger Waters and others maybe he just doesn't want to be part of this nonsense. By participating he would be legitimizing the thing. "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

Dr. Mudd and AidanB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.