Yes!? NO! - The all purpose Yes arguing and complaining thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Well, The SACD (Hybrid) disc has been reviewed as though it's been remixed, sound-wise. Some prefer it for this album, because it usually sounds "muddy".
    Apparently someone put some life back into it.

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

One part marketing and one part shot at Howe.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Definitive line up: two grumpy old men and a film composer

4. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

It was not remixed. No offense but maybe you should educate yourself about the difference between remixing and remastering.

Comet01 likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I know the difference. They must have remastered it in a way that made it sound remixed.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don't know if it is on YouTube, but the full Yes segment at the RRHOF was awesome. Nice video montage followed by emotional, heartfelt introductions by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. Speeches by Yes were highlighted by Wakeman's hilarious jokes. The performance was terrific, although Jon's voice sounded weak (but not bad at all for a guy in his 70's) - "Roundabout" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart", with a walk through the audience (presumably near their families) a really nice touch. I'm no Yes expert, but I loved it. Someone was either using a video camera or has an amazing phone.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Oh come on. Howe could out-grump Anderson in his sleep.

I certainly wouldn't call either of these two line ups definitive, but at this stage of the game, I think Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin have about as much right to the name as Howe & co.

8. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

If the band was from the South would they be called Yeup?:cool:Ill be honest I like all the members and pretty much all of their albums. One dang good group.:cool:

Pete Puma likes this.
  9. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I was joking. The original Yes should be the only one. It's pretty low that ARW are stealing the name.

Musician95616 likes this.
  10. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'm late to this party, so pardon me.

Anderson is not with Howe anymore because.... I'm not sure. Howe fired Anderson because Anderson said he didnt want to tour? Or Anderson quit because Howe was beginning to look like a shrunken head on top of a scarecrow?

In all seriousness, I wish the two could reconcile but it looks like it will never happen.

I used to think Yes was whoever Steve Howe said it was.... but that appears to not be the case.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't pretend to understand the legalities behind this question, but just looking at the respective line ups, both bands feature one primary core member (Anderson and Howe), one additional key member (Wakeman and White, though Alan's capabilities are severely diminished at this point) and one additional member who played on a few albums (Rabin and Downes). If White is no longer able to cut it, it's getting close to being just the Steve Howe band and I'm not sure why he should have an exclusive claim to the brand.

Many would argue that it was "pretty low" to boot Anderson from the band when he was severely ill, so it's not like either of these factions are beyond reproach. In the end, it comes down to who puts on a better show and given that Howe & co. have been plodding away for many years with the classic albums tours, AWR comes across as being relatively fresh by comparison.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  13. Wombat Reynolds

oh, so is that what really happened? I didnt know.

I have not heard Yes in concert with Trevor Rabin, I have only heard him on a couple of the albums they made, 902whatever and I think the next one, big generator. He's a fantastic player but.... to me, it doesnt sound like Yes unless its Steve Howe on guitar.

I know, I know, I'm all wrong. I can even take any other singer but if its not Howe on guitar.... its not Yes, for me.

What do I know. Maybe Trevor plays Howe's stuff note for note.

14. Well I watched the speeches for Yes's induction in the Hall of Fame on YouTube and 2 things were apparent: Jon Anderson prepared NOTHING substantial for his speech and Rick Wakeman loves nothing more than the sound of his own voice cracking jokes.

Geddy and Alex gave nice induction speech's. Alan's health has declined more than I thought -I wish him a full recovery.

Beeb Fader and John Bliss like this.
  15. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'll play along and counter this with my view. Drama is in the top 3 Yes albums. It's among the most Yes-like albums they have.

NorthNY Mark, Meng, 24voltsdc and 2 others like this.
  16. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Highly disagree. Drama features lots of things that are the opposite of Yes trademarks. For instance, Chris' iconicly prominent bass tone is much deeper in the mix than usual. Also, Jon's trademark voice is obviously replaced by Trevor Horn's underwhelming vocals. Honestly the worst Yes frontman in my opinion. Also, Downes is very underwhelming. I'm not even complaining because he isn't Wakeman, I like Tony Kaye and Igor Khorashev just fine, but I never liked Downes' keyboard parts. In addition, this is a much more hard rocking abum than a Yes like prog album. Have whatever opinion you want about Drama. I'm not one of those people that claims it isn't a Yes album, but it's most defintiely not one of their most "Yes-like".

Musicisthebest likes this.
  17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Trevor Rabin's last solo album sounded more like progressive rock than the last Yes album did (Heaven & Earth). Trevor does not play Howe's stuff note for note. Anderson, Squire, White and now Wakeman all told him to play the songs his own way.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. Wombat Reynolds

He's a fantastic player, but honestly, you can usually pick out Howe a mile away. He doesnt sound like anybody else.

Rabin to me, sounds like a whole bunch of hi-powered modern rock players.

Thats just my opinion, I might be wrong.

19. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

He's like a boring old uncle after a while...

20. Lownote30

He only plays guitar that way in a rock context. He's classically trained and can play in basically any style he wants to. He plays acoustic, pedal steel, and all forms of keyboards as well as bass. You know he scores films, right? You're right about Howe. I can pick out his playing a mile away as well, BUT I can say the same about Rabin, too.

21. Lownote30

At least he was there. Where was Tony Kaye??

22. Beeb Fader

Gimme Anderson, Howe, Wakeman and two young guns on Bass and Drums and I'd go for it as Yes, but the reality is they barely have enough resources left (given Alan White's failing health) for ONE Yes never mind two.

23. Beeb Fader

Good question...particularly as one of only three living founding members.....hmmm

24. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

Too ill to attend unfortunately.

25. Lownote30

Really? I didn't know that! I hope he recovers from whatever health problems he's having.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.