Yes!? NO! - The all purpose Yes arguing and complaining thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

They did have a private celebration gathering for Tony Kaye if you look on Facebook...

2. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

thank you for posting.....overall it didn't sound bad but it was wakeman and geddy that saved it

the good
    Anderson is a legend and still can hold his own
    geddy lee is fantastic and is the only bass player really that can handle squires parts (actually the tempo was so slow I think geddy was bored)
    wakeman still the only guy to play his parts and still does it great
    howe...clearly lost a step but wasn't bad, I have heard him sound awful (he is my favorite guitar player but really should hang it up)
    the bad
    alan white is finished, he is the one who ruined the tempo clearly, too bad bruford wouldn't play
    rabin is a fine musician but has no business playing howes parts

3. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

You might like to consider Progeny, in either its box or 2-CD format.

Same songs as Yessongs (except for the Bruford tracks and Starship Trooper), unedited tracks, different mix and much cleaner sound.

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I bail after Relayer.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have the 2 cd Progeny. The Yessongs performances are better (imo).

6. Chris Schoen

Ever hear "Yowza"? :laugh:

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for me, other than 'drama" (which is excellent) yes ended when anderson quit singing. pretty much like journey without perry.

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You're missing out on two very solid releases (out of three without JA) then, Drama and Fly From Here. IMO.

John Bliss likes this.
  9. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

I remember Nik Turner touring as Nik Turner's Hawkwind back then. Why can't they all just get along?

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

love 'drama'..love trevor horn, 'fly from home. not so much

John Bliss likes this.
  11. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

yowza, yowza,youza I wanna boogie with you. I have kinfolk with the last name Yow, shhhh....:righton::righton:[​IMG]

Chris Schoen likes this.
  12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think a solution to this multi-Yes situation could also be achieved in a special arrangement.

All the current Yes people (and more if necessary) could play the songs simultaneously, in the same place and each person in the audience will have their own set of headphones (a bit like a "silent disco") and each person can choose who they hear playing via an app by fading in and out the performers they'd most like to hear for each song. So you could have Anderson, Wakeman, Howe, White and Sherwood, or swap in any other player, however you prefer!

AidanB, DLeet and coniferouspine like this.
  13. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I would pay for this. They could use some sort of remote syncing hookup so that they wouldn't even have to necessarily be in the same city or venue, just so long as they all perform while linked together and of course start the songs at the same time.

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

But then there's the potential for one the Yeses to sabotage the other members and there's a "technical glitch" so only members from one band are heard! :biglaugh:

AidanB and coniferouspine like this.
  15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It's ironic, therefore, that Rick (inadvertently) prevented Chris's widow from delivering her prepared remarks. He ran out the clock telling prostate jokes.

I'm glad they set aside their differences long enough to perform two songs, but the bad blood is still there and any further reconciliation seems sadly unlikely. I'm glad I had the chance to see the classic lineup perform a few times, including the Union tour with all the inducted members.

To be fair, the band did select what they considered to be the best performances when compiling Yessongs. The 2CD Progeny deliberately used different performances. The full 14-disc box set, however, includes all but four of the same performances that ended up on Yessongs, so you could reconstruct most of the album from the box. Some of those tracks are longer on the box. Wakeman's solo (which is actually cut together from two different shows) and "Yours Is No Disgrace" each feature portions that were edited out on Yessongs. Howe's solo, for instance, occasionally loses focus, so they kept things on track by trimming out a few bars here and there. Listening to the different performances, the improvisational sections of the solos are different from night to night, but there is a particular figure that Howe always played as a cue for the rest of the band to come back in. One night, he plays that same figure earlier than usual, but apparently the rest of the band wasn't having it, so the riff trails off for a moment and the solo fireworks resume. In all, the Yessongs performance of "...Disgrace" is about two minutes shorter than the unedited source recording.

coniferouspine likes this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Have you heard the limited edition (hybrid) SACD of Yessongs? It supposedly has some remixing that helps the "muddy" sound that the original has. Been considering buying this.

17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

That Progeny box is essential listening, I'll happily wade through another 64 pages arguing Bruford or no Bruford, just glad to have the box on my shelf. It changed and deepened my understanding of the band. I love the subtle variations from night to night, that's what used to make a band like Yes being on tour so exciting.

AidanB, Maurice, ledsox and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

I think Yessongs was perfect. It just need to have better sound quality.

AidanB, Shak Cohen and Meng like this.
  19. Harvest Your Thoughts

Hopefully they have a few more complete tours available...

Roberto899 likes this.
  20. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Wakeman gets a much fairer crack of the whip on the Progeny mix. I also prefer my YINDs to be unedited.

WHitese and coniferouspine like this.
  21. SJB

Remixing or remastering? Apparently the muddiness (at least on the Alan White tracks) is the result of misaligned Dolby heads which had to be corrected track-by-track for Progeny; I'm not sure it can be properly fixed on the mixdown tape.

I'd be happy if the multitracks from the Fragile tour (with Bruford on drums) showed up; that period is underrepresented. The BBC Sounding Out documentary is out on DVD, with fragments of live performances in Hemel Hempstead, but that's it apart from the two Bruford tracks on Yessongs.

jay.dee, AidanB and Meng like this.
  22. Chris Schoen

A reviewer (Amazon) of the import ("Limited") SACD claims that (in his opinion,) whatever remixing or remastering they did, that the sound quality was much improved.

23. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I'd be more than happy.

Sadly, I suspect if such multitracks existed there would have been some representation on The Word Is Live set.

AidanB likes this.
  24. SJB

It's a little irritating that, in the liner notes to the Progeny box, they mistakenly say that The Word Is Live included material from the Fragile tour. Now, it included some really great tracks from The Yes Album tour, and I'm very glad for that, but nothing from the Fragile tour. Yessongs includes two tracks from that tour, so they definitely recorded some shows - but then they lost or destroyed the tapes. Booo.

AidanB and Meng like this.
  25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

There wasn't any remixing done. It was just remastered that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.