DCC Archive Yes (Should I say "Yes" to Japanese reissues)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Does anyone here have the scoop on the new Japanese reissues of the Yes catalog? Are they worth it? I like to get Fragile and compare it to both my '94 gold and my '80s CD (the one with the "We Have Heaven" refrain at the end). What say ye?

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I purchased the recent Japanese HDCD remasters of the Yes album, Fragile, CTTE, and Relayer and prefer them all to the Atlantic remasters.
    I just saw that some of the Tull catalogue is being offered in the Japanese mini LP packaging. Anyone have any info if these are remastered? I just got the DCC Aqualung and was totally blown away by the great sound of Steve's remastering. I have listened to it virtually every day for the past 2 weeks.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Some people have reported that Fragile, The Yes Album and Close to The Edge stink on the Japanese HDCDs. Donno. I thought the Atlantic remasters did very well. Fragile's 1st pressing on CD was blah. not many LP pressings shone through either.

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Be extremely careful with Fragile and Close to the Edge. I would suggest perusing the newsgroup relating to Yes and see if the latest remasters are reissues of the ones done a few years ago with the mini-vinyl cardboard covers. If they are the same, DON'T BUY THEM. Fragile is full of either tape overloading and, I suspect, digital overloading. It sounds very much like a Japanese vinyl version of this I had in the paleolithic era. Get the gold CD or the plain vanilla remastered by Joe Gastwirt - they sound great.
    Close to the Edge is not as bad, but suffers from similar faults. OTOH, Tales from Topographic Oceans (a revelation!!), Yessongs and Relayer are the best current versions by far and are well worth it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.