Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

I bought the Steven Wilson mix box when it was released.
    All the LPs are flat great pressings and sound quality.
    They've been on regular rotation here.
    I prefer them to the originals.
    Well done Steven Wilson.:righton:

Ken.e. and Big Swifty like this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

That looks more like a RonMcMaster cut:

[​IMG]
    Notice the upward trailing bottom line of the R leg and overall simple curve of the letter without fully connecting. The M is pretty lazily done though.

3. Leonthepro

Oh, people already shimed in... ;^)

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Keep an eye on Amazon. I’ll end up getting these both (first one already preordered). Lately, as often as not, after I pay the normal price it then proceeds to drop to about half that. Just my luck. You may see some great prices on those King Crimson boxes down the road.

AidanB and imarcq like this.
  5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Yeah that’s what I noticed with the Yes box. I’m really wanting the Larks Tongues - USA box set, but of course I would prefer to have both. I’ve heard great things about the Crimson remixes, and if this box is anything like the Yes box, we’re in for a treat.

sonofjim likes this.
  6. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I guess I got lucky mine are all flat. I agree that Tales and Relayer don't live up to the improvements of the others but as good as a mint original.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Great, just what my credit card needed, another box set to buy :)

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Did anyone ever ask Wilson or Atlantic why there wasn't an inner sleeve in "Close To The Edge"? That really seems like a cardinal sin in a package like this!

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't think Steven would know anything about it.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I like Steven Wilson's Jethro Tull remixes.
    So far I've listened to the first two in the Yes box.
    I still prefer the mofi gold CD The Yes Album and Steve Hoffman's vinyl Fragile but I have high hopes for the others in the box, especially Relayer.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Relayer is the best of the set in my opinion

walrus, fRa and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Slowly making my way throough the box. Only two LPs in so far, but really liking what I am hearing.

Excellent quality and very good value-for the-money box set.

Ray29 likes this.
  13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

wow, this box set sounds very good. Although I am fairly new to vinyl and also own the surround mixes of these albums ( which are great),
    these have to be some the best sounding vinyl I've played so far. Full, dynamic, dead quiet:righton:

Ken.e., AidanB, Ray29 and 3 others like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed...very well made. But just to add, i think some of them outdo the Cd versions as well. The remixed Close To The Edge sounds particularly fuller and more "rounded" on vinyl with a clearer presence than the CD version.

Ken.e., lucan_g, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I don't have any of the digital versions, but the vinyl set is pure class.

There is a little bit of unreleased live material on a few of the digital sets, but I don't see much attention paid to it.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I've never listened to the cd only version only the blu-ray multichannel versions, which sound excellent.
    But your right, as soon as I started playing the Yes album I noticed immediately how full & clear it sounded. very happy with it

DK Pete and Ken.e. like this.
  17. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Finally i got my Yes Box together. And what a struggle it was.

Ordered the box from a big seller here in Germany. I was very pleased about the sounding. Steve Wilson did a great job (imho). Records were great. Except 'Tales from topographic Oceans'. Strange noises on one of the 4 sides. Noises that dont belong there. Anyway...send that LP back and kept the others as they were perfect. Got a new box. Again....noises on Tales.... but this time another side. I dont talk about little clicks and ticks here and there. Noises like someone touched the needle by accident. Box back and Box No. 3 arrived. What can i say? Same Album, different point in time. Ok, i was done and dont wanted to ask the seller a 4th time.

Lately they had the Yes Box for a reasonable price at the big river. I thought...let's take another chance. So...(yes, you count it) Box No. 4 arrived and i started from the very beginning with TFTO. And...yes, you guess it, noises on the record. As it was the big A i send it back and got me a new one as it was still the same price. So No.5 arrived and if you believe it or not....i got a flawless TFTO. Man, was i happy? So, of course i had to listen to the other albums again now. It looked good so far but then as i was on the home stretch i put on Close to the Edge and what was that? Some nasty little scratches on the surface...and you could here them! At this point i was like...'me and this box dont belong together'. However i decided to order a second/additional one as this time it were scratches, the TFTO before had not such, just the noise. So yes, Box 6 arrived, Close to the Edge was good, i changed with the one from box 5 and now i'm 'happy'. A side note...in box 6 the box itself was a bit damaged but....

At times i asked myself if i'm too picky. But for the price of this box i, at least, expect to be every album flawless in the first listen. No idea what went wrong with the european pressings. Maybe i was just an unlucky Person as i haven read much about bad pressings of TFTO.

And i guess i dont have to listen to TFTO in the next few years....

18. Leonthepro

Was it non fill? Same noise just in different places each time?

19. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Yes, at least in 3 of the 4 it was like the same noise in different places. Dont know what non fill means but it was not in any Intermission or something. always behind some Music.

20. Leonthepro

Could you describe the sound? Did those previously bad parts plat flawlessly on the new copy or still a little noise?

21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

TFTO is the only album I haven't played yet from the box set. maybe I should check it out. so far the others have sounded great. Sorry to hear about your issues. very frustrating getting bad vinyl. had to return a few this week. One had a ripped gatefold and another was so badly warped it looked like it was left out in the sun for a week.

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Same here--never really a fan of Tales. But my friend also ordered the boxset the same time as I did and said that Tales sounded nice to his ears, despite also not being a fan of that album.

23. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Well, like I said, it sounded like a scratch sound when you touch the needle by accident. The new one has no noise.

Maybe it was a bad charge. All I can say is that the last two came in original from Amazon UK.

24. Leonthepro

How many times did you play each TFTO record from the box?

And Im not sure what you mean by touching the needle by accident. I only touch it when I clean it, and that just sounds like some swooshing.

25. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Well, the first two i played 2 - 3 times because i put them on the record washing Maschine (to see if that helps). i just listened to that areas in question. Like i said, if i looked there were no scratches on the record.

Hard to describe that sound for me (my english is not good enough). It's like when you listen to a record and hit the record player accidently, then the needle jumps/makes a screech sound. that kind of noise. Too bad i didnt record it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.