Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He’s a digiphobe

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Still made no sense lol

AidanB and Tommyboy like this.
  3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It will be available soon for around $96 US which calculates be $128 Australia (as per the currency converter). The original pre-sale price from the Australian supplier was $300 Australian. However you get there, the Australian supplier was fabricating an exaggerated pre-paid price. I plan to commit to this when Music Direct runs a 20% discount special. Assuming they do not exclude this box set from any promotional sales, this will cost $96 USD. I'm sure there will be future posts with links to it even cheaper. If you were to order from Music Direct for a future sales price of 96 USD, what would shipping be to Australia?

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Awaken gentle mass touch

Lyrics from an epic song on a phenominal album not included in the Wilson grab

Would have made sense to extend the box to the last classis Yes album GFTO

SirMarc likes this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Had a feeling it was from Awaken. Not a fan of that album. Was hoping he would do GFTO too, so I could reevaluate with better sound quality, but I guess its not to be...

audiotom likes this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Reference too obtuse, sorry

Just bought a 2012 Grundman CTTE via Discogs
    Thanks guys

I have UK first pressings, some Japanese and early 70s US copies
    Of all the lps

My best CTTE copy is a clean wonderful UK first pressing with the slightest hint of veil

Skipping the 24/96 repackage

7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Have you heard the Tull remixes on vinyl? I like them better than my 70's pressings. That's why I'm giving these a shot...

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I love Going For The One. It's the first album that was released once I'd figured out I liked Yes. Picked up a fairly clean original copy recently for $5. Sure, it's a weird-sounding thing, but I love the church organ and the whole Swiss vibe. It is the real last classic album. I like about half of Tormato and almost all of Drama, but GFTO was the last one played in its entirety on tour in the '70s.

I wonder how Wilson would approach a remix.

optoman, AidanB, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I have the Aqualung, Brick and Songs from the Wood on remastered Steve Wilson vinyl
    Yes they are great
    The originals left something to be desired
    And those cd album bargains

SirMarc likes this.
  10. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident Thread Starter

One album costs USD33.92 to ship to Australia from Music Direct.

It's just not viable, unfortunately.

11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

To be honest I've never played it. I bought it just because I use to be an avid YES collector who au the time wanted everything. I wanted to keep it pristine hence never played it. I live in the UK but remember buying it from 'Rockaway Records' in the US via mail.
    The Steven Wilson remix on vinyl should sound great if the CD remix is a good measure.

SirMarc likes this.
  12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've just picked up the (2006) SH/KG Fragile (original mix obvs) but have yet to listen to it - What Records UK had it for only £29.99, £5 more than the later 2016 re-issue and it had the tip-on cover, so it was an easy choice. I'm looking forward to listening to it!

This set looks really nice though and it would be a good way to get clean copies of those albums - I realise they are remixes but as has already been said, SW did such a great job on the Tull and XTC remixes that I trust his judgement on these...

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm afraid that the last classic Yes album is Tormato.

Lownote30 and willy like this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Play that album man! When is the last time you even pulled it out to look at it? Its just taking up space if you don't listen to it...

15. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

What if they ARE involved? or are dead?

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Not sure if this is a serious question but I thought his remix of Tales was a drastic drop from the original. And while my opinion was outnumbered in the thread about it, I wasn’t alone either.

I’ve tried a number of his remixes but have concluded that for the most part I just don’t like digital remixes of analog recordings. I did like Aqualung though and his surround mixes are good for what they are, but I’m more of a stereo guy. This set seems interesting. Not sure yet if I’ll try it. Maybe vinyl can give his work some much needed warmth?

Here is a different opinion which maybe you won’t see if you aren’t looking. Our host noted his full agreement with this fwiw.....
    Steven Wilson and the Remix Mania-Stop the Madness!

zeuhl likes this.
  17. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

You know if you don’t plan on playing it, might know somebody who would take it off your hands.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

This is a Wilson Remix LP box. He didn't (couldn't) remix GFTO. So it makes perfect sense it isn't in this box.

Including it when he didn't remix it would be a real :wtf:.

Ere and lucan_g like this.
  19. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

Exactly that, sometimes the original versions vanish. And we are left with something not intended by the artist

englishbob likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Correct me if I’m wrong...but I thought that in many cases, artists aren’t deeply involved in mastering decisions. Or if they are, they listen and give thumbs up or down. This “intent” thing baffles me somewhat...aren’t we simply listening to one mastering engineers choice as opposed to another? I’m pretty sure Ian listened to all of Steven’s remixes, and I assume interested parties in Yes did the same.

AidanB and SirMarc like this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I can confirm that for at least Yes, Jethro Tull, XTC, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Tears For Fears, the remixes were done with the approval (and sometimes input) from the original artists.

22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Personally speaking, I don't see any issue with the original mixes not being widely available even long after we're all gone. Certainly not any of the artists he's tackled anyway.

At the same time, the notion that anybody's work should be immune from criticism is one I can't buy. Whether music, movies or the meal you ate last night, the idea that you just "shouldn't buy" a product unless you are certain you will have an enthusiastic response simply isn't how the world works.

AidanB likes this.
  23. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

To my knowledge, this has never happened with a Steven Wilson remix project. It has happened with the Nick Davis Genesis remixes, but that is with the explicit direction of the band that the new mixes supersede the old ones.

Yes is clearly not interested in the old mixes vanishing. They've authorized new masterings of the original mixes even after the SW versions appear, and this new box set is very clearly labeled "The Steven Wilson Remixes" to avoid confusion (and, of course, cash in on the buzz surrounding Steven's work).

AidanB, lucan_g, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  24. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Its still a no really. Remixing was big in the 80's with the 12" single remix, but a whole album?

When I think of someone, for example, remixing an album by someone like Prince it makes no sense. An artist like Prince, and many others artists, poured over those tracks and mixes for days and weeks to deliver what they thought was the best mix on the album, not someone else year's later.

I guess whatever floats your boat. Maybe its the new remastering, Lets see how this pans out when all the Beatles and Beach Boys catalogue is remixed by Steve Wilson.

zeuhl likes this.
  25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Steve Wilson's popularity and "buzz" (and Porcupine Tree's for that matter) only exist on internet forums.

zeuhl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.