Yes - Tormato*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Now those are some obi I wouldn't mind having

HairyWeimer likes this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

kwadguy likes this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Changed the thread title to "Yes - Tormato"

I did not notice so many threads on this album that we had to use the subject "Yes - Tormato hatred" to distinguish this one.

4. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

haven't listened to Tormato in quite awhile frankly ... but besides the absolute clunker of Circus (and I don't like Onward or Madrigal much either), I always thought most of the songs had redeeming qualities. Some of Wakeman's key choices are awful ...

footlooseman likes this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

Off the top, I enjoy it a lot more than Sabbath's Never Say Die (1978), ELP's Love Beach (1978) or Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door (1979). All these bands weren't as good in the second half of the decade, studio album wise.

Chemically altered and Rufus rag like this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Agreed that GfTO is overrated. Agreed that Tormato tends to be underrated. But I still think GfTO is better, and frankly I don't listen to either much these days. Yes for me is all about TYA-through-Relayer.

yesstiles and rancher like this.
  7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

I quite liked the Yesterdays comp with the best songs from the first two albums. On their own they're a bit spotty but makes for a great album when combining the best tracks.

24voltsdc likes this.
  8. broos

broos Senior Member

It is not one of my favorite album by Yes and it is clearly an album of its time.
    But i wondered what would be my opinion of this album if i not heard the earlier albums of Yes before 1978.
    How would i rate it, if this was the first album/music i ever heard of Yes in 1978.

Anyone for whom Tormato was the first album of Yes they ever heard?

Chemically altered likes this.
  9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Arriving UFO has some great playing by Howe..

10. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

It really does, and that saves it in my book

ian christopher likes this.
  11. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

There are many, many amazing songs in Yes' catalog. Tormato might not be my favorite album, but the title track: "Future Times/Rejoice" is their signature song for me.
    Everyone is playing their A@@ off and it's so uplifting. Listen to it loud.
    My #2 song by the band (a close second to 'Awaken').

12. I'm a sucker for Tormato and Drama, will always have a soft spot for both and can play and enjoy them anytime. It has everything to do with first exposure. I knew of yes but hadn't gotten into them heavily yet. It wa the late 80's and the bins were full of dollar cut-out cassette tapes. Tormato was one I bought and I believe I had to replace it at least once. It got me through some tough commutes and solitary drives. Have them both on CD now :)

-s1m0n-

13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Am going to spin Tormato today. Love that album. The songs still sounds modern to me. I remember reading a review in Sounds on its release saying it was ahead of it's time.

ian christopher and M2225 like this.
  14. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

As a huge Yes fan, it disappoints me to say I give up on it. Listened to it in the car this morning and while there were a few good moments, I was bored. Every time I listen to it, I am reminded why, reasons that others here have expressed very well. Sadly, it's going into my trade-in pile.

15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

It was a good album with some excellent high points but it followed too many classic Yes albums and pales when compared to Going For The One, Relayer,etc.

JimW likes this.
  16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Quite a few sealed original copies of this turkey on eBay, undoubtedly plucked from the cutout bin.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Trade-in pile? These days you might get a nickel for a used CD.
    Perhaps keep it for those few good moments.

18. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Yeh keep Tormato, it’s half good - or download it to your library at least if you are getting rid of physical media

deredordica and yesstiles like this.
  19. Hummus

Hummus Senior Member

The HDTracks version of Tormato is amazing. A whole new transfer that corrects many of the issues of previous editions. It still isn't perfect, but it is far better than I have ever heard it.

Natural E and PhoffiFozz like this.
  20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

One of the biggest cut out records in history. I remember Jimmy's Music World $1 store in NYC having 25 count boxes stacked with it in a corner 8 feet high. Right up there with ELP's budget bin monster with them loving a beach.

Crungy likes this.
  21. milco

milco Forum Resident

'Future times' / 'rejoice' is a brisk, engaging opener
    'Madrigal' is a lightweight, but pleasant enough, short track
    'Don't kill the whale' carries a strong political message and worked well as a Yes-single for 1978
    'Release, release' ROCKS!
    'Arriving UFO' is quirky and unusual, but, in its own way, not that bad -- something a bit different for Yes
    'Circus of heaven' has potential, but is waaaay too twee
    'Onward' is simple, but heart-achingly beautiful
    'On the silent wings of freedom' is an almost-great, epic album closer.

The point I suppose I am trying to make is that when you look at all its constituent parts, 'Tormato' is actually pretty decent. Is it one of those albums that, for what ever strange reason, is less than the sum of its parts?

22. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Yeah, that vacuum cleaner he used in Don't Kill The Whale kills us instead!

rancher likes this.
  23. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

You sum it up briefly but well. It also followed GFTO, which was, and still is, highly regarded, and Tormato continues to suffer in comparison.

willy likes this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

"Circus of Heaven" struck me as an attempt to re-capture "Wonderous Stories" that just didn't work. However, I'm not sure I can ever accuse Jon of being too twee. That would be like getting mad at the Pope for continuing to bring of that 'God' guy. It's in Jon's blood, and I'm ok with that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    willy and yesstiles like this.
  25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'm curious to know a little bit more about your opinion on this. What issues are "corrected"? EQ? etc?
    I like Tormato. I get why people don't like it, but I still think it's good. Howe & Wakeman are both very busy on this album.

I'm not big on "Circus of Heaven", my wife likes it though.
    I absolutely love, "Future Times", "Rejoice", "Don't Kill the Whale", "Arriving UFO" & "Release, Release".
    I like "Onward" but I prefer the Keys to Ascension version.
    "Madrigal" is nice, but is ruined a little bit more by the production than the other songs. (Another one my wife likes)

I like "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" but always thought that is sort of stagnant and never quite understood why other fans think it's the "standout" track.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the HD tracks version.

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.