Yes - Tormato*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident

Y'know, I feel the same way.

The first time I heard the song, I cringed in terror at it, but after listening to it several times, I'm actually starting to... *gasp*, kinda like it, in a cheesy Star Trek-type way. :hide:

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I hate the Rhino expanded remaster I bought. What a wretched sounding piece of garbage.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I generally find this a pretty lackluster record, but I do like FutureTime/Rejoice and Circus of Heaven

4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I like Tormato. It's not the best Yes album but it definitely has it's moments. But holy cow, what an incredibly bad cover.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Don't mind the cover or the music, but these record companies doing their damnedest to make the recording sound so horrible. WTF?

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I like it more than tales, relayer and going

7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i like the bonus tracks more than the tomato

8. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nah the bonus tracks aren't that good. They're not Tull :laugh:

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Awful production, crap tier.

Good songs though - I really like the energy here where I thought Going For The One was great albeit aside from Turn of the Century not very inspired. Even if it does sound better at first.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Side 1 is wonderful. I dig it dig it.

11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I love it.

I love all Yes.

Thank you and good night.

12. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

I love it! Apart from obviously Circus Of Heaven (No, just no!) and the fact that Silent Wings Of Freedom just Peters out and doesn’t have a proper climax.

milco likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I like it a lot. "Release, Release" is probably in my Yes top 20...

yesstiles and sound chaser like this.
  14. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I read all the reviews TELLING ME not to like it so 'officially' I don't like it (in order to appear 'cool', not upset anyone else and in favor with the blessed music critics of course)

but just between us....I actually quite like it really !!
    (but don't tell anyone tho')

LOL - quite absurd of course...but I do wonder how many music folk actually have this secret regard for many albums (or later group line ups etc) you are supposed to hate (??)

15. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I don't hate it, but I rarely ever listen to it. It suffers from that syndrome where there are good "bits" throughout, but I can't name one song on it that feels really focused and makes sense. Arriving UFO and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom are probably the best things on it.

16. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

I must have been 13 or 14 when I bought it. It was my favorite Yes record for a long time. Maybe it's my love for sci-fi, but I really loved Arriving UFO and all the electronic synth and keys stuff on the album. I even loved Circus of Heaven, a song which really makes me cringe now. I didn't like the cover, but I was truly fascinated by the map of Yes Tor on the inner sleeve (I only recently found out that it is an actual place!). Tormato still has a special place in my heart, I play it quite often. Also, it's the very last record by my favorite Yes line-up: Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, White.

GordonM and curbach like this.
  17. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Like, dig; tormato, tormato...

18. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I would take Tormato in a heartbeat compared anything released after Drama with this lineup. This does not include Rabins 3 albums.

19. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

not great. but not terrible either

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I really like this album. I saw them perform Circus of Heaven on that tour. The tour was not hugely Tormato-centric either. They still opened with Siberian Khatru and closed with Roundabout and did Awaken, Heart of the Sunrise, as well as most of The Yes Album. I don't think they really touched Topographic Oceans or Relayer that night, but it was Yes, in the 70's, and it was great.

willy likes this.
  21. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

The disdain for this album arises from folks at the time wanting another CTTE or Relayer, I among them. But 1978 was a transition period for a lot of prog bands. The early 70's energy and imagination was waning badly.

Like someone said before, Tormato isnt a bad alum, its just not a very good Yes album.

Still, I listen to Future Times/Rejoice, Arriving UFO and Silent Wings of Freedom on occasion.

22. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

Agree with you here. I wouldn't quite say it peters out, but it definitely takes a turn that makes little sense. That Wakeman solo at the end almost ruins this track for me. So out of place.

23. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Always wondered, is it TOR-MAH-TO or TOR-MAY-TO?

24. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

Since they're British, I'd say Tor-MAH-To.

I have always thought that, with Tormato, Yes tried to appeal to a larger public, with songs like Onward, Don't kill the Whale, Circus of Heaven and Release, Release. All these songs are much easier on the ears, and, dare I say, more commercial than most earlier Yes songs.

25. milco

milco Forum Resident

The other myth about Tormato is that it got slated in the press. To this day I remember the Sounds review from 1978, which, at the height of the music press' infatuation with punk and new wave, was generally very positive and gave the album ****1/2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.