Yes's "Fragile" DVD-A vs CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dayv, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dayv

Dayv New Member Thread Starter

I just purchased Fragile DVD-A, I dont have a surround sound
    system yet,so I've put the setting on Stereo on DVD, it sounds good,
    BUT my 1993 Fragile - Gold Remaster sounds much better. More Clarity
    & louder but clearer. I know this is a first time surround sound,
    but wouldnt the new 2002 remaster sound better in Stereo.
    On the other hand Queens "A Night At The Opera" is the hands down best
    sounding version. I was thinking a new DVD-A would be the best stereo
    version available

Anybody know the story on this.
    Thanks much

2. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

How are you listening to the dvd-a? Is it with a dvd-a player set to 2 channel and if you have a dvd-a player are you listening to the correct group, also is it with the 2 channel analog output and not a digital mixdown. A digital mixdown and or dd/dts mixdown is not going to sound as good as the 2 channel hi-rez. As always just my $0.02.

3. Dayv

Thanks Rats, How I got on Audio Hardware I dont know, I wanted to
    write in music corner, maybe I'm better here. I'm new to DVD-A , I have a standard DVD player, and playing Yes Fragile DVD-A on a good system with Analog out on DVD player. The DVD player has a 1 digital coaxle Bitstream port but not using. I was comparing new 2002 Fragile DVD-A with 1993 Fragile CD on my setup. Sounds like Im not getting max sound of DVD-A , but maybe the Fragile 1993 CD was a great copy to beat.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, AFA RB, the 1993 Fragile is going to be hard to beat, for the most part. The only way you can ever make the DVD-A put up a fight is through a real DVD-A player, using the Advanced Resolution© stereo mix.

Using a normal DVD player, you're possibly listening to the DD 5.1 mix. It's not going to come through very well.

I'm still debating what I like better, but the CD seems to come to mind....

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

With a DVD-V player, you are listening to Fragile in either 5.1 or Dolby Digital 2.0. It is likely defaulting to the 5.1 and downmixing via the analog outputs.

Regular redbook CD is a superior format for stereo than Dolby Digital (whether 2.0 or downmixed 5.1).

The Queen disc is a different animal because the regular stereo DVD-V track is uncompressed 24/96 PCM.

6. Dayv

Thanks guys, it sounds about right, I need a real DVD-A
    player with an Advanced Rez Stereo mix, to compete with a CD that was
    remastered very well. So DVD-A is really mainly for the 5.1 format, no wonder DVD-A has'nt caught on yet.

7. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Bahh Davy! At least can play your DVD-A in a DVD-Video player. Try doing that with SACD...;)

8. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Well Geez, I Have 3 copies of "Fragile" right now and have been contemplating on purchasing it again since Rhino went and remastered .
    Right now I have the HDCD Japanese Remaster which is not very well done, The 1st Atlantic Remaster, and a German Pressing Vinyl Copy Which is so so quality. Everyone says the Recent Rhino is very well done up although I do have DVD A capabilities on my Denon Player, so I will probably buy the darn thing again in one of the formats. This stuff can make someone crazy after awhile ya know.

9. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

Has anyone done a real comparsion between Yes' Fragile DVD-Audio to any "redbook" CD? I'm not surprised the remastered version sounded better than the DVD-A played in a regular DVD player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.