“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm so old and lame now that I don't even like to do 7PM movies. I need my sleep! :D

mrjinks likes this.
  2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Ugh another person who believes the lie that Oasis sounds like the Beatles.

3. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

. I was hoping with Danny Boyle at the helm this wouldn't be as awful as the trailer looked, but it was even worse. Completely gutless, so bland that it could almost make me hate the Beatles.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Really looking forward to the knee-jerk Hollywood reaction: Jack Black wakes up one morning being the only man on the continent who remembers Bollywood...:doh:

MarkTheShark, BZync and Steve Litos like this.
  5. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I went to see this yesterday with my wife and our 10 year old daughter. Enjoyed it for what is was, a romcom with a great soundtrack. Like anything involving timey wimey stuff (as the Doctor would call it) one has to not worry too much about plotholes and inconsistencies, just go along for the ride.
    I found myself surprisingly moved when he played Yesterday to the group of friends.
    Also liked the bit where he sits at the piano in the front room ( a nod to Paul's family home?) to play Let It Be for his parents and gets constantly interrupted.
    Typical Richard Curtis fare really and not normally something I would go for without the Beatles connection.
    I thought the leads were good and whilst a caricature the US agent was amusing.

stevenson66g and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Just to add one of the trailers prior to the main feature was for a film called Blinded by the Light, a film inspired by the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen.
    The bits of the soundtrack I heard were the Boss' original performances and it looks like a coming of age movie for a young asian lad with all the challenges that would bring in the UK in the late 70's...
    Not sure if this has been released anywhere yet?

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's called Blinded By The Light.

My wife at seeing sneak of it tonight. It'll open Friday or possibly next Friday.

Phil147 and Steve Litos like this.
  8. There was another one back in the 80’s where Kennedy was saved from assassination by a relative. Of course that has nothing to do with anything we’re discussing here. Carry on.

Malinky likes this.
  9. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Hi Chris, did your wife see this?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Is this a trick question? :D

mrjinks, Phil147 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Oh course she did! She Tweeted:

319) Blinded By The Light @ RE21. An advance screening (opens in August). I'm not into Bruce Springsteen at all but this nice movie makes you understand why fans are. Best, the depiction of finding music that you're passionate about is relatable (me w Kate Bush/Happy Rhodes).
    For those who are unfamiliar with Vickie's Tweeting style; This is her 319th film so far in the theater, and RE21 is AMC's River East 21 in Chicago.

12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

4th time yesterday (ha!). This time with the wife (very old) and daughter (30 - but she LOVED the A Hard Day's Night video when she was a nipper). Like before, the age of the audience dictated who laughed at what. Both loved it. Wife, like me, sniffled at the Ob La Di scene. Both loved his annoying idiot friend. WHY???? I may even go a 5th time.....

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I believe that these days it is possible to buy films and play them at home. As many times as you like!

MarkTheShark and Vidiot like this.
  14. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah. Weird concept. However, I like the marvellous in-cinema sound that can't be replicated at home.

adm62 likes this.
  15. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Yeah I can't think of how it could have been worse. Four main characters were hugely unlikable. Would have liked the girl if she didn't spend half the film weeping. The film had no continuity or subtlety. For instance, the guy's a solo folkie until suddenly 3/4 of the way through the film, he comes out doing a punk version of Help (I think). What a waste.

16. Oatsdad

Oh, I didn't pay enough attention - I thought the question was whether Mrs. Chris had seen "Yesterday". That's what I felt was the "of course she did" one!

Phil147 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

She's seen Yesterday. Twice.

18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Perhaps I'll go see it on two consecutive days, so that I can say I saw it "Yesterday & Today" :D

Pastafarian, mrjinks, pjc1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Only if you see it while dressed in a white lab coat festooned with broken dolls and pieces of raw meat.

mrjinks, brownie61 and 5th-beatle like this.
  20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Plenty of people go to Marvel premieres dressed as comic book characters, so maybe I'll start a new trend :righton:

mrjinks and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

...or at least have an entire row to yourself in the theater.

22. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I can’t seem to find the answer to this obvious question...

Did they make any attempt to get Paul and/or Ringo to appear in the film, however briefly?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We're big fans of seeing the late show: bypass large crowds, screaming kids, and annoying people with cellphones. Generally there seems to be a more "serious" crowd after 10PM. But we're late-night people.

My guess is Paul & Ringo are too busy to do a movie (even if it's just a one-day cameo), plus the nature of the story would be radically changed with either of them in it. Let's assume that what we got was the writers' intent.

Yeah, I worked on that: a Twilight Zone episode, "Profile in Silver," where a distant relative of JFK's comes back to 1963 to observe the assassination, and through a series of events agrees to take JFK's place in the motorcade and get killed so that JFK can instead go to the future and live his life there. Interesting show, probably the single best episode I saw.

24. Chris DeVoe

Also, why would two men who've been famous their entire adult lives want to appear in the movie as nobody's?

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On one level, it might be amusing; but for a couple of extraordinarily rich & famous rock stars in their late 70s, I think they don't give an F about being "more famous" because they have a 1 minute cameo in a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.