“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

What the did in the movie worked wonderfully well, and they didn't need anything more.

Andy Smith likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My body clock just doesn't work that way anymore.

20 years ago, I could stay up until 3 AM no problem, but due to work, I now wake up no later than 8 AM, no matter what time I go to sleep! :sigh:

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Considering Ringo actually is an actor, I think it would have been funny to have him in there, but it would be weird for him to play himself while someone else played George (as a secne with both of them was apparently in the original script). Paul I don't think would have worked as a cameo- I don't think the could pull off being a nobody (if that makes any sense).

As far as I know, no serious attempt was ever made to get either of them in the film for real.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Now me personally I would have gone with an appearance by a gentleman selling maps to Jack Malik's home after he became world famous. For the three dozen people who would have gotten the joke, it would have been well worth it. And maybe a scene with a busker who never quite became famous playing guitar at the tube station as Jack hurries by.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

mrjinks, Michael and brownie61 like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I'm not getting out of bed for anybody or anything before noon. Well, maybe if you pay me, I might, but I'd complain the entire time.

On the plus side, we're seeing a midnight show of Lion King late Friday night, and a week later we're going to a midnight show of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at the Ceramic Dome (on film yet!), and those are fun.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Michael and JohnG like this.
  6. Oatsdad

You complain all the time ANY time of day! :D

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a disturbing picture of The Ringo!

8. Michael

actor? really...

mmars982 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Michael

you are enjoying semi-retirement, eh? Noon? cool...

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10-12 hours a day at least 5 days a week. Six days this week.

Naw, I just work. I rarely complain. I make "observations," but it's with a smile and an ironic sense of humor.

11. Michael

: )

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I enjoyed the movie 2 weeks ago. last weekend my daughter enjoyed the movie so tomorrow I am taking my wife to see it. Best feel good flick out there.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

That's what all complainers claim! ;)

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's just your observation.

[​IMG]

15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's just very well done. It is a bit of a nostalgia thing for Beatles fans of course - songs so amazing that any old singer songwriter could conquer the music world with them. But it is not just that, it is also a nice dig at the downside of fame and fortune, and a nice romance if a bit painful to watch. Ed Sheeran was great too, very natural and good-humoured.

Tim

stevenson66g, DiBosco and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

The best moment was when he got the guitar as a gift and played the song Yesterday and his friends were just stunned. It's a moment that raises the hair on my arms weeks after having seen the movie.
    This was my first time hearing him. I don't understand the animosity against him...granted, he's not the same caliber of songwriter as John and Paul, but few are, and he showed himself to have a good sense of humor, subtly mocking his own public image.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw it for the second time yesterday, and was surprised at how many people were there to see it 3 weeks after it opened. They had cut it down to just 2 matinee times, but still.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We saw it Saturday night on Long Island and the place was packed so it’s still playing well for the baby boomers. I thought Ed Sheehan was brilliant and I always respect a guy that writes and plays his own music (and without a large backing band).
    In fact isn’t the story about how wonderful it is to have an artist who writes and plays his own music?
    But our hero is a fraud and writes and plays music created by a team of people that included George Martin. That’s the one thing missing, the beautiful Beatle choruses especially on the early material but we know why they kept the script simple. Guy with guitar tries to win back beautiful girl.

We really enjoyed the movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

But was he? He was playing and recording music that that hadn't, and wouldn't, be recorded in that world. The people who created it, for some reason, never got together to create it. Granted, he felt like a fraud, but was he actually? He had "stolen" something that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

Remember that the melody to Yesterday came to Paul McCartney in a dream. He woke up and stumbled to the piano by his bedside to work out the chords. “I just fell out of bed, found out what key I had dreamed it in…and I played it."

If Jack hadn't played and recorded these songs in the "post blip" world, they would never have a chance to exist. Is he being unfair to some people who, in the world he now lived in, never became songwriters? Who never knew what they had "lost"? How can you steal something that doesn't exist?

It's an interesting ethical quandary.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    stevenson66g and Hall Cat like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Jack passed off someone else's work as his own. How is that not a fraud?

21. Chris DeVoe

But didn't the music have a right to exist? Again, McCartney dreamed the song, and he was sure someone else had written it. The only difference between Jack and Paul is Jack knew who had written the song.

stevenson66g, Hall Cat and BZync like this.
  22. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Because in the universe he was now living, they weren't written by someone else.

23. Chris DeVoe

...and the world would be a worse place without the songs.

stevenson66g, BZync and MoonPool like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's a fraud that also doubles as a public service, so :shh:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I think we can all agree that world in which the song Yesterday exists is a better world than one in which it doesn't.

For fraud to exist, someone has to have been defrauded. Who did Jack defraud?

If I had a magic wand and could duplicate a random dozen or so of the gold bricks in Fort Knox and have them appear in my apartment, have I stolen them? Again, the originals are still there, I just have some that are exactly the same.

Hall Cat, BZync and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.