“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

So what?!? It was a fun movie. Don't over analyze the thing. It was make believe. Silly to argue about it. Go out and get some fresh air! :cool:

Vinyl_Blues, vegafleet, 905 and 3 others like this.
  2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Enjoyable movie. I watched it with my 19 year old son and we had a great time together.

Vinyl_Blues and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

He may not have been defrauding anyone, but he was cheating.

Like Biff Tannen in the alternate universe Back To The Future 2. He wasn't cheating anyone, anyone could bet on the games. He just knew what would happen because he had a resource no one else had. Even in that universe it was claimed as a "lucky streak", not that he was smarter than anyone else.

There are other ways this movie could have gone. These are NOT spoilers, since they are not in the movie!

Maybe the lead character just remembers pieces, not the whole picture. He needs to get together with other people to put together the whole picture. More of a discovery.

Or the lead remembers everything, but his recordings are only moderately successful. People don't quite get it. But he inspires other musicians who wind up being the big successes with new material to replace the lost Beatles songs.

If there are alternate universes, many of them probably don't have the Beatles. Maybe they have better music, maybe worse. Who knows?

Rhett and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Many of the greatest composers who ever lived disavowed that they had anything to do with the music they wrote, that they were just vessels for God.

stevenson66g, Hall Cat and Rhett like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Possibly. But was it immoral? Which is the worse sin, taking advantage of creative individuals who basically don't exist, or depriving the world of these great songs?

I wish I had some way of seeing those alternate universes where Kate Bush fell in love with touring.

stevenson66g and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is there a release date for this on Blu-ray?

7. Michael

Ha! good one...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

He wasn't the only one. Others remembered too. He was just the best (known) singer of those who remembered.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The New York Times just did a little piece where they look at other movies like “Yesterday” that presented an impossible reality-bending situation happening without providing any kind of explanation for it, even a magical one — “Groundhog Day” being a particularly notable example.

From ‘Groundhog Day’ to ‘Yesterday,’ the Twists We Can’t Explain

One thing that surprised me about the film was that (alright I’ll spoiler tag it)
    the world never righted itself at the end.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Again,

NO SPOILERS.

Please consider some people's schedules may not have allowed them to see the movie yet, and they ought to be able to enjoy the film as much as anyone who saw it opening day.

Please & thank you.

11. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Starring the great Andrew Robinson as JFK and the late Lane Smith as the Fitzgerald descendant.

905 and Vidiot like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The actor playing JFK was a last-minute replacement, and the producers were very upset that they didn't their original pick, who looked a lot more like the actual President.

Steve Litos and jjh1959 like this.
  13. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

I'm sure this film has wound up the Richard Curtis haters, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was some stand out moments in it, such as playing Yesterday outside the pub ansd almost everyone in the cinema staying to the end to hear the whole of Hey Jude.

One of the things I really loved about it were the Sarah Lancashire and Justin Edwards characters. Great piece of misdireciton with those two which worked beautifully. Sanjeev was utterly brilliant as the father and anything with Lily James in... I'd watch her read the phone book, frankly.

Of course it's silly and bit cheesy in parts, but sometimes a lump of cheese is all you need! If you don't like Richard Curtis don't go and see it. If you do like him, it's likely you'll have a good time.

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Just caught it last night (it finally made it 'round to the discount theater in town). For the most part, I enjoyed it for what it was. There were enough little obscure nods to keep the Beatles fanatics happy. Yeah, it was cheesy, yeah the love story at the core was rather predictable. But I'll admit...
    ...getting a little choked up at the Lennon scene. I don't think there are any among us who wouldn't love to see Lennon alive and happy at 78, even if it meant he lived his life as a merchant seaman like his father.
    And yeah, probably about half the theater stuck around to listen to the entirety of "Hey Jude" at the end. Perhaps after sitting through two hours of rather pedestrian covers of Beatles tunes, it was nice to sit and listen to the real deal.

15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Not for sure of course, but wasn't this a little nod to Kurt Corbain who didn't want to be a rockstar either and also needed some help? Corbain was also a big Beatles fan, so the song Help played more or less at Nirvana way was in that case well chosen... ( just my idea, of course)

16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Whilst I've only skimmed this thread, it seems the there's a lot of agreement that this film is fun but not a great film.

For me the best parts are the failing musician, Latitude was great and his first renditions on acoustic guitar to his fiends, as a very distant Beatles fan it made me realise they wrote some great songs.

I thought it went downhill when Bilbo Baggins turns up on his doorstep, we're then in to Cliff Richard's The Young Ones, rushing through 'big business' , which is all pretty shallow and boring.

Although we do have Rocky telling Sheeran, "Leave it to the brothers":D.

I wanted to hit Jack over the head with a stick, "For God's sake wake up and get on with your Romcom love affair".

Of course it doesn't make any sense and the BIG meet could have had a lot more potential (I'm available as a screen writer).

The big question for me is the effect on my daughter childhood if Thomas The Tank Engine had been different.

So I enjoyed it but fluff 5/10.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Confession: I just discovered this movie by seeing the blu-ray in Target a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know it existed until then. I just now found this thread and will rent the movie. It sounds fun.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

First 1/3 is quite good and literally the minute Kate McKinnon (Ed Sheeran's manager) shows up, the film goes off the rails and quickly loses steam and any goodwill it had been building. Plus, the "romance" was not very believable, no matter how cute Lily James is. Final Grade: B-

19. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Enjoyable movie I only got to see recently.

20. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Yeah.

Well I suppose you had to have a “villain” in the film. Even if it’s more just someone who makes money in (or off) the biz.

I would grade a solid B.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. Michael

happy to see it...it was fun, light and predictable...: )

22. Michael

cool, drop so off at the forum entrance! we all could use some...; )

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Michael

typo: Some...

24. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Finally saw this and felt quite let down at the last 1/3 of the movie, when it became clear the whole plot up to that point was just a set-up for your standard rom-com whatever.

The cameo made me pretty emotional.

25. Chris DeVoe

You didn't notice the name of the writer? It's what Richard Curtis does.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Vinyl_Blues, SandAndGlass and maclen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.