“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timind

timind phorum rezident

I hope it's entertaining. That's all I'm looking for from it.

Hall Cat and George P like this.
  2. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

from the trailer, it looks like paul and ringo confront the protagonist...that scene alone makes me want to see it.

andrewskyDE, RobRoyF and Mike Visco like this.
  3. So does this all mean Hugh Grant was never Prime Minister and Bill Bob Thornton never President? :tiphat:

JonUrban and Steve Litos like this.
  4. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

and perhaps if they are involved there's a "break" in the song use fees. Win win-I say.

My money is that it is them, but probably in an alternate get up, or one of the thousands of very good bands that never made it.

5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I saw this last night and will check it out. It's not the first time this idea has been explored but the idea that only one person on the planet knows all the Beatles songs is pretty cool.

Also laughed at the idea of someone as milquetoast as Ed Sheeran suggesting "Hey Jude" by changed to "Hey DUDE". :laugh: At least it wasn't "Hey, Granddude" :winkgrin:

Wonder how'll they'll tackle the world's reaction to their psychedelic stuff. I'm sure psych still happened in 1967 so will people think songs like "Lucy" and "Walrus" are too weird taken out of the context of their time?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Publishing costs for Cover versions are always so much cheaper than the actual recordings. Performance rates are usually more $$$

Irs the main reason why I Am Sam switched to Beatles covers over the actual Beatles versions that were played on set during filming. .

Chris DeVoe and Drifter like this.
  7. downer

downer Senior Member

What Would the World Look Like Without the Beatles?

This:

"OK, so: If Paul McCartney doesn’t exist, that means he never makes “The Girl Is Mine” with Michael Jackson in 1982, which means a couple more things. One, that the world never gets to hear him play-fight over a girl (“She told me I was her forever lover, don’t you remember?” says Sir Paul McCartney). But more importantly, if that song never gets made, then Brandy and Monica never remake it with “The Boy Is Mine” in 1998. And maybe Brandy still would’ve reached a high level of fame without that no. 1 hit, but probably not, which means she wouldn’t have been famous enough for her younger brother, Ray J, to ride her coattails. And if Ray J never gets famous, we never get “Sexy Can I.” We never get “Danger smashed the homie.” We never get the Ray J moving hat meme. And ladies and gentlemen, if Ray J never gets famous, he never dates—and makes a sex tape with—Kim Kardashian. And you know what happens if Kim Kardashian never makes a sex tape. It seems obvious to say that the erasure of the Beatles would deeply change the landscape of pop culture, but seriously: The Kardashians maybe don’t exist without the Beatles."

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

So in this case, a whole lotta good happens cuz there’s no Beatles

Gumboo likes this.
  9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I don't want to overthink it, but this looks like a fun movie based on the trailer. I plan to see it.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It looks hilarious -- and from the looks of it, they spent some real money on this thing. That shot where the guy comes out and there's an audience of 50,000 people waiting to hear him perform "his" new songs... that's stunning VFX work.

Chris DeVoe and RobRoyF like this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I have to see this...look hilarious.

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Vidiot wrote the following as part of a post:

I apologize for not being clear. "Weird Al" Yankovic worked out a system where he negotiates with the rights holders so that he can afford to use a song in a melody. If they don't agree to the proposal he can't use that song.

Related is the subject of parodies, where Yankovic gets approval from the artist before he does a parody of a song. From what I understand it is not mandatory to get permission, but he does it to avoid offending the original artist. Also, since the incident with Coolio and the song "Gangsta's Paradise" he gets approval directly from the artist.

Gangsta's Paradise - Wikipedia

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Im going to write an alternate version of this story where only one man has ever heard of the Star Wars universe and everyone thinks he’s an annoying lunatic.

14. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i feel like i've already met him!

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

"Hey...Dude..." :laugh:

I am looking forward to this movie

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

This morning I caught a bit of a radio interview with an Aussie author.
    He was contacting lawyers over a new trailer for a film, I think it was this one!
    Stay tuned......

17. Solitaire1

Considering all of the retcons that have happened, is it possible that no one does know the original actual story...except, maybe, George Lucas?

18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Howard Stern mentioned this on his show the other day. Conceptually this is so nuts it might actually be good. Written by Richard Curtis who has had some hits and misses in my book. Danny Boyle as director makes me very confident this will be worth checking out at the very least.

19. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Did you enjoy STEVE JOBS? I feel like I was one of the few people I know that thoroughly enjoyed that film.

20. Yes I did.

Jason Manley likes this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I used to quite fancy writing a counterfactual about the Beatles if they’d never taken off, but I couldn’t get into it. It would’ve been set in the Britpop years, possibly in Ormskirk, with Lennon a wise-cracking lathe operator, Harrison a detective inspector and Macca a Tarbyesque light entertainment figure who went by the name Jim. From memory, I didn’t find a part for Ringo; presumably he’d have been behind the kit for a multiplatinum Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

22. Solitaire1

Concerning Ringo, from what I understand Ringo being successful as a drummer is likely since he was a well-respected drummer before joining The Beatles.

23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

But he also said at the height of Beatlemania something about wanting to be a hairdresser, didn’t he?

24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Didn't Michael Jackson buy the rights to most of the Beatles catalogue and therefore Jackson's estate now controls rights to use the music? Isn't this why we started seeing commercials using Beatles tunes (ie: Nike using Revolution)?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Indeed, until recent years.
    https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/paul-mccartney-beatles-rights-win/

trumpet sounds and Veggie Boy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.