“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Veggie Boy

I just re-watched the trailer for "Yesterday" and I am really looking forward to this.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

This definitely seems to be something more aimed at Beatles fans and folks looking for a whimsical sort of thing, as opposed to people who might actually pick apart the “sci-fi” elements of changing a major event in the past.

I totally get that the idea of this film is to ignore the latter and just ponder the one simple idea. But I guess I’ve just watched too much Star Trek and other time travel-related things.

If Beatles music had never existed, everything about the music landscape in 2019 would be different. I don’t even say that from an uber-Beatles-fan snobby point of view. I’m not taking the “the Beatles influenced everything forever!” position. But there’s no way (outside of just “going with it” or saying “anything is possible with fantasy films”) that if one “erased” the music of the Beatles from existence, that *everything else* would be *exactly* the same in 2019 concerning music, culture, etc.

There are plenty of other potential nitpicks, but ironically some of those nitpicks might not be applicable given the fallout from Beatles music not existing. For instance, at first glance one indeed would wonder if someone pushing 60s Beatles songs in 2019, despite the timeless nature of the compositions, might be seen as presenting not-too-modern sounding music. But in a world where Beatles music never existed, who’s to say where the music landscape would be in 2019. It would be different, whether better or worse. But everything in the trailer seems to indicate everything else on the planet is identical except for the existence of Beatles music. Same talk shows, same other bands, etc.

I can’t deny the film might be a charming diversion, but unless they have some otherworldly force in the film explaining why everything else about the planet is *exactly* the same, accounting for logistical gaps that would be created by simply “deleting” the Beatles from existence (down to the mundanities of who hosted Shining Time Station, who recorded a duet with Stevie Wonder in 1982, what Richard Lester was doing in 1964 and 1965, where Mick Jagger was on the evening of the “Our World” broadcast, what Brian Wilson listened to instead of “Rubber Soul” to inspire “Pet Sounds”, who filmed the Pizza Hut commercial in 1995 with the Monkees, not to mention how the Monkees even came to be, etc, etc…..), it would be hard to completely shut off every part of the analytical part of the brain when the very premise of the movie requires specifically pondering what happens when the Beatles haven’t existed.

4. Veggie Boy

Exactly

Very true and by the same token if anyone or any group (you, me, us, them) that has been part of our world for a period of time were to have been wiped from existence then by virtue of the "butterfly effect" the whole world landscape would also have changed.

and we should accept it as such and enjoy the movie for what it will be, butterfly effect be damned.

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I would really like to just go with it, as you say, as a whimsical fantasy, but the points you make do bug me. I think a more potent film would be a period piece set at some point in the 60s, or even 1970 when they break up, which would help get past a lot of these potential problems while admittedly creating others. But as I said earlier, this isn't that sort of film. I fully own up to the fact that my ability to enjoy this will depend upon how much I'm able to get past all that.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'll go against the grain and say it makes it current to have Ed Sherran and James Corden make appearances.
    You guys give your reasons for not liking them, and that's cool, but it is obviously designed for
    2019 so to have relevant faces makes sense to me.
    Ed giving instructions saying it should be 'hey Dude', I can see the humour of this will be right up my alley.
    It's clever really, as the film will be aimed for the younger audience, and how many fans are gonna
    go and see this just to see Ed?
    While they wait to see him, they get introduced to some of The Beatles catalogue if they haven't heard it before.
    Clever marketing, I see what they're doing here.
    What's the bet, we'll see a Beatles album back in the charts after this release?

Chris DeVoe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Just buy some popcorn.

8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It may seem like that but who knows for sure? We haven't heard what Coldplay sounds like in this alternate universe have we?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I would say 'lighten up' and don't over analyze the thing. Go with an open mind - have fun! I know I will!

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The resolution of this thing has to be either a dream or an elaborate prank. That's one way to explain the lack of a butterfly effect going on here.

andrewskyDE and Veggie Boy like this.
  11. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll mention revolution 9 in the movie

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Or everything goes back to normal again through the use of a DeLorean and a lightning bolt. :D

BeatleJWOL and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

Has any mentioned it stars Lily James and Ana de Armas and has The Beatles content? How can it go wrong.

Texastoyz likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

:love:

TMRY likes this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

See the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (starring Peter Frampton and The Bee Gees).

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure there will be at least a reference to the number 9.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  17. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

I've never seen that one but heard about it. Just commenting on the pretty girls who can act in a new movie about the Beatles.

18. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Chewy checking in, I just learned the synopsis for the movie. There's a "worldwide blackout"(?) and a guy is hit by a bus but everyones memory is erased or something except him and hes the only person in the world who remembers the beatles so he starts a band to profit. Who-in-the-hell-dreamt-that-one-up. We all hate this, right?

oh wait im reading comments--- so is this move going to "outdo" "Sgt Peppers" (the movie)......oh god

Paul R likes this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This sounded like the dumbest idea I've ever heard until I saw a longish trailer. Now I'm intrigued.

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Just watched the trailer and I can't wait! What a great idea for a movie, and from the looks of the trailer, it's well done. Not to mention that it reinforces the musical genius of The Beatles. They actually DID write all those songs. Damn!

ted321 likes this.
  21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Wow! Are we looking into this movie a little too much? No doubt, you certainly "dissected" the realistic applications of such an event, but this is meant for entertainment. Escapism. Fantasy. What I find absolutely fascinating is the FACT that the Beatles actually wrote ALL THOSE SONGS. That's a take away from the movie that isn't fantasy, and boggles the mind that these lads from Liverpool were actually able to write these songs.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Pretty sure that's generally known, it's not something only revealed by this movie.

23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Reading that synopsis I'm still thinking this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard, or at least in the top ten. As for the trailer, that "Hey Dude" joke isn't funny, and they pick the best moments for the trailers don't they?

groundharp likes this.
  24. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

well, i thought it was funny.

25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

No kidding. I was just saying how it hits home how extraordinarily talented they were that such a story could be told based on so many actual hits.

stevenson66g and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.