“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I suspect the ultra-orthodox Beatleites will object on the grounds of heresy.

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

IF Steve Martin performs Maxwell''s Silver Hammer then I'm IN!!

vince likes this.
  3. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I saw a screening and I liked it. But you have to lighten up and not take it too seriously!

RocksOff87, Karnak, JohnBeas and 6 others like this.
  4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Beatles fans/lighten up: what's the likelihood of that happening? ;)

John K.

Karnak, BGLeduc, Hall Cat and 2 others like this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Beatle fans/lighten up = not likely
    Beatle fans/light one up = way more likely (especially when watching Yellow Submarine!)

Gregory Earl likes this.
  6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Those who are SHF members: 0%
    Those who aren't: 100%

bababooey and BGLeduc like this.
  8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I have mixed expectations about this one.

I usually like Richard Curtis' work, though not necessarily all of it. This movie seems to be within his quirky style of humor, in a good way. On the other hand, while Trainspotting was a great film, I absolutely hated Slumdog Millionaire, largely for its rather clumsy way of storytelling. So having Boyle as a director makes me quite unsure.

However, I like the premise of the film, and the trailer looks promising.

9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The premise of the film looks interesting, but I suspect it gets old quickly (and becomes a downer) after some predictably humorous scenes.

Regardless, I'll probably avoid seeing it, just because I don't want to hear a Beatles song someday in the future and have this movie be the first thing that comes to mind. For the same reason, I skipped on the Beatles Rock Band... I didn't want to associate some of my favorite songs with a video game.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks like a piece of junk which will be quickly forgotten.

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I think it's a stupid premace. Don't mess with the Beatles!

12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Seen it today at the Madrid premiere. It's a nice little fable: it's funny, very positive and enjoyable. Lots of Beatles winks for fans, of course. The story is entertaining and it has a couple of nice surprises. The male protagonist is a little bland (maybe because the character is supposed to be like that, but still...), while Lily James is delightful as ever. Kate McKinnon's character is very funny, she steals all her scenes. Ed Sheeran... well, you can tell he is not an actor.

I would recommend to go and see it without expecting the movie of your life, it's good.

A few dialogues about "shagging" and a bed scene where you don't get to see anything. Nothing a ten year old is going to be shocked about, I guess.

BZync, Chris DeVoe, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yesterday - Movie Review

Language: Infrequent cursing includes "s--t," "son of a bitch," "ass," "damn." Some language has an English slant: "bloody."

Drinking: Adults drink at parties and gatherings; in one scene, they drink to excess in order to give themselves courage to get physical with each other. People who've been drinking say too much and are sloppy. A running gag confuses "coke" (cocaine) with Coke (the drink).

Sex: Jack and Ellie share a loyal, long friendship before they decide they have romantic feelings for each other. They kiss and fall into bed; the camera then cuts away to Jack shirtless in front of a window. A couple agrees not to have sex because they want to have a relationship, not just a "one-night stand."

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Thank you, you have performed a valuable service.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Spoiler-filled review of the film including details of the ending, for those like me that are curious but not curious enough to actually watch it. :D

vince likes this.
  17. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

100% agree with @RayS here about the beginning being better.

Saw the film tonight and overall I thought it was OK! I agree with those here (and many reviewers online) who've enjoyed the first half of the movie with the idea of a world without the Beatles ever existing. That element to me was interesting and the selling point. The second half got dragged down with the typical drama of a guy getting famous, is not himself anymore, has relationship problems, demanding management, etc. Started to lose interest and it became a bit dull when these elements came to the fore.

The love story didn't really work IMO and I wish they would've explored the Beatles aspect of the story further as there were many funny moments from these scenarios. That is mainly the reason I went to see it - because I thought that whole idea was pretty interesting and the trailer gave me some laughs. Perhaps the film would've been better off as a shorter length viral video/mini movie?

At the end of the day it does remind one of the amazing music this band put out that holds up decades later. Glad I went to see it! Also interested to see what others on this board who went to watch the film thought of it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

:thumbsup: If only people could've taken this approach when going to see Bohemian Rhapsody my goodness...:laugh::hide:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, just got back from seeing Yesterday, and I loved it from start to finish. I won't spoil any of the surprises (and there are a couple of that are pretty cataclysmic), except to say there were moments in the film that had me in tears... in a good way. It's not exactly a time-travel film, but call it an alternate universe where Coca-Cola, Oasis, the Beatles, and Harry Potter never existed. Funny, thoughtful, and very moving.

Empire Review: Yesterday

Naw, it's a fun film, provided you can buy into the premise. I'm an old hand at alternate-universe fantasy and all that stuff, going back to Superman comics and "Imaginary Stories." It's just a Twilight Zone concept: "submitted for your approval... a man trapped in a world that's never heard any Beatles songs, and he has the chance to have the musical career he never could have had in his old life. He's in a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity, a place where The Rolling Stones existed, but Coke does not. It's an area we call... The Beatles-Free Zone."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll be seeing this film tomorrow and will check in after then.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I saw it last week and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun, especially Kate McKinnon's character. She's hilarious. But there were also some really surprising and poignant moments throughout the film that I really dug.

22. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm going to see it on Monday and I'm looking forward to it. Also first time in the new style theaters with big recliner type seating.

thestereofan likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is the movie title : song just credited to
    Paul McCartney?

RocksOff87 likes this.
  24. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

I think a movie where Mountain never existed would be cool. Pretty short, but cool.

troggy, MoonPool and Dudley Morris like this.
  25. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

My paper gave it a 3 star review. They said if you're a casual music fan, you should enjoy it but if you're any kind of music historian, the premise will bother you as so much of what took place in the 20th century was predicated on The Beatles existence. Rubber Soul begot Pet Sounds which begot Sgt. Pepper. They also question how that type of music would become popular in this era which is dominated by rap, R&B and techno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.