Yet another CD vs High-Res streaming comment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vignus, Jan 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

I'm reporting this just out of astonishment for what happened to me:

I've only been listening to high-res (mainly 192 KHz) music for the last 5-6 years, and I have been satisfied with it.

Just the other day, as I was re-organizing my living room, I plugged back an old blue-ray player that I had in a box, and never used for quite a long time. It has a coax out, so I plugged it into a DAC and started playing a CD (McCartney, Flowers in the Dirt).

As my wife walked into the room she stopped, started listening and tapping her foot, and went "Wow, this sounds really good!" To double-check that it was not that album that was particularly good, I played a couple more CD's: same comments... and she didn't know the music was being played on a different device.

How is that possible? I have always been told that there's no difference between high-res music and CD music and if there is, then high-res is better... I play it through a Cambridge CXN v2 so, if not perfect, it's good quality and it's wired to my network... no faults there.

I'd like to hear your opinions about it, did you come across the same findings?

2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

What DAC?

3. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I have had the experience of switching source formats and having one appeal to me unexpectedly, for a while. Happy listening, in any case!

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well at one place I pretty much stream, at the other mostly play SACD DVD-A CD though Oppo UDP-105. Both can sound excellent. If you compare the same exact album and it sounds different, first of all the levels are surely not exactly the same, second the mastering is probably different. CD definitely gets a bad rap, it can sound excellent if well produced.

TimB, Andy Saunders, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  5. Vignus

The one that's on the Cambridge CXN v2

displayname likes this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Oh, sorry. My answer is that I have no idea why this is happening. Typically when sonic differences are big enough that my wife would notice, we're talking major, major, major difference.

And maybe that's not the case with yours... anyway, this would make me question if something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe mastering differences? Though a different mastering would never, ever make my wife (or probably any of my friends) ever notice a difference .

Anyway, I don't know. I guess just enjoy it

c-eling likes this.
  7. Vignus

That's what I thought, but it's hard to guess. Unless the audio signal goes through too long of a journey before reaching my network player (Nas->router->powerline->CXN). The main difference I notice is in mid frequencies: the sound is richer, warmer.

displayname likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Mastering over bit/sample rate.
    It can be a huge day/night difference.

Octavian, jeffreybh, Kyhl and 5 others like this.
  9. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Difference in DACs? Try routing the CXN via the DAC you used for the OPPO and stream the same mastering as your CD. Still a big difference?

10. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

If you were to compare a similar CD track and one that is streamed (even Tidal MQA or HiFi), the CD sounds better. Even a ripped file of the CD (using an affordable optical drive and JRiver) sounds better than streaming.

But streaming allows you access to tons of good sound at an affordable monthly subscription. You can discover more music too. Not to forget with streaming we can set up our own playlist and be a couch potato. :D

11. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

In my system the same source sounds better either via Download or disc rather than streaming however my streamer is not at the same level as the rest of my equipment and my DAC is (I guess albeit the same manufacturer) better than the processor in my amp.

12. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I also have a Cambridge CXN V2 and the DAC is excellent. I can tell no difference between it and my Border Patrol SE-i. I also feel that CD's played through my Rotel CD11 sound better than strictly streaming at any resolution.

13. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

When I was an active member on Audiophile Style there was some discussion on powerline adapters. Some claimed taking a hit on sound quality because of EMI induced noise if I remember correctly. I opted to go with a wifi mesh system instead which works wonderfully for me.

DancingSea likes this.
  14. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Did you feel it sounded exceptionally good before your wife commented?
    Do you think your wife is trying to subtly stop you from spending on an upgrade?

Leo Tos, CoryG85, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  15. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

In these wife stories she never notices a decrease in sound quality. ;)

16. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Check if the blu-ray player is upsampling the CDs to 48 kHz. There are some blu-ray players that will do that depending on settings.

The catch is that the upsampling is not of high quality. It will sound different than CD played at 44.1 but not better. Just different.

Fredtones likes this.
  18. Vignus

OPPO? What OPPO? And the DAC is the same if you read my first message

19. Vignus

Yes, this makes sense to me. This could be a possible reason. So, if I put some audio files on a pendrive a play it from there it should sound better then striming from my NAS through a power line?

20. Vignus

LOL! No, I had noticed the difference as well!

blair207 likes this.
  21. Vignus

Mine does: she loves RHCP but finds their albums sound really bad!

22. Vignus

No upsampling...

23. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

It's certainly worth a try. Best of luck.

24. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

NettleBed likes this.
  25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

So, you did not notice a drop in quality when you started streaming, but notice it now? Some CD's to me sound fairly good and I used to feel they were better to streaming but not anymore. I now prefer Hi res streaming for the sound, let alone the convenience. But everything is very relative as different equipment and sources will provide different results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.