Yet Another Multichannel Dilema

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldenBoy, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Here's the thing, I'm in the process of replacing my extremely low-end multichannel setup and I think I've narrowed my A/V receiver choices down to 2 Sony ES receivers: the STR-DA2ES or the STR-DA4ES. I can't decide if I'm willing to spend the extra cash to get the 7.1 that the 4ES offers or if I should just go with the 5.1 and 6.1 offered by the 2ES. :sigh: Another, slightly more major problem - since I will be using this setup for Hi-Rez multichannel playback (and movies, of course) and I don't have any space for full sized surrounds, I have to go with a mini surround setup. At first, I wanted to use my main speakers now (Tannoy Reveal near field monitors) as my front L - R's and match them up with Tannoy surrounds and center, but I still wanted to use my Tannoys for stereo playback through my stereo setup. I thought I could find an A/V that had a speaker pass-through so I could use my pre-amp and power-amp for stereo only, passing the signal through the A/V receiver, and the A/V for multi, but I couldn't find anything like that. I've been finding it almost impossible to track down a Tannoy consumer products dealer anyway. :rolleyes: So, I determined that I would have to keep my stereo setup and multichannel setup separate, unless I decided to forgo my current stereo setup and just use the A/V receiver to power everything, which I'm not so sure I want to do.

I was looking into the Klipsch Quintet MicroSystem speaker package that includes the 4 surrounds and a center channel and pairing them with a JBL PB10 powered sub. I've heard some really good things about the Klipsch package and also some really bad things. Is anyone familiar with this package? I'd really love to get some opinions before I waste my time investigating and trying to audition these things. I was thinking about maybe just upgrading to a better Cambridge Soundworks speaker package, but if the ones I have now (Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV) - which are admittedly their cheapest and powered by a very low-end receiver - are anything to judge by, I'd rather not. They just sound way to harsh and tinny.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on anything, receivers, speakers etc. , I'd be glad to hear them.

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have a somewhat similar dilemma. I need to find an affordable surround sound preamp (with 5.1 analog in/out jacks, digital i/o, dts and ProLogic II decoding, proper 5.1 analog preamp outs, and remote control), and I doubt I'll find one that matches the performance of my present two-channel rig. So I guess when/if I find one, I'll eventually buy a multichannel preamp and use it through the tape monitor loop of the stereo unit. Something like that.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My solution is to build multi channel in another room away from the two channel. They are two different animals - not compatable at all.

I think my "old age" is showing here but I will *not* have a TV in the stereo room - if I can help it!

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm a fan of having the best of both worlds in one room.

I use a Denon 3300 A/V Receiver to power my 2 channel sound, my 6 channel Music surround sound (DVDA/SACD) and also my Video Home Theater (DVD).
    When in 2 Channel Mode I use the analog bypass on the Denon and achieve pretty good sound combined with the Sony 775 SACD/CD player.
    I can then also use the Denon and the Sony to achieve excellent SACD Surround Sound.
    I use the Panasonic RP91 for DVDA Stereo/Multi-Ch and for Video.

It's really all about "do you feel an A/V Receiver can sound almost as good " as a separate amp set-up.
    Some audiophiles say no, a 2 channel system needs separate amps or tubes.
    Others feel that today's upper level Receivers (Denon/ Yamaha/ Harmon Kardon/ Sony ES/ Onkyo/ Pioneer) can achieve excellent soundstages and are the audio bargains of the decade.
    Michael Fremer of Stereophile recently raved about the top Pioneer model, and he is a tube/vinyl guy.

If you have the bucks and space to buy both a 2 channel system and then a HT set-up, go for it.

But for people like me who have a budget and space constraints (plus small children and their friends).
    The A/V route works very well.

BTW, Klipsch's are excellent speakers and can do double duty (Music/Video) very well.

5. GoldenBoy

So John, I'll assume that you do believe that an A/V receiver can achieve the same results as separates for powering the whole system, stereo and multi? I've seriously been considering it, but my 2-channel set up is too good to my ears to abandon it. I suppose I could test it out once I get my new receiver, but I would still then be left with the dilemma of matching up surrounds to my Tannoys. I've seen a Tannoy 5.1 speaker system that uses the small satellites and a sub, I thinks it's called the FX5.1, but like I said before, I can't for the life of me find a Tannoy consumer products dealer. I know where to get their pro stuff like my speakers, but that is no help to me.

Thanks for the opinion on the Klipsch. I know that they make really good speakers, and the ones I was looking at actually have mini-horns on the tweeters, but I was put off by a couple of comments I read about them and a CNet review where the reviewer said they weren't up to par with the other Klipsch speakers and sounded boxy. I don't really trust CNet as a source for quality audio reviews though, so I guess I could check them out.

And, oh yeah, I am definitely on a budget too. :)

6. GoldenBoy

Aw c'mon Gary, step into the 21st Century. ;)

7. JohnG

Yep, I definetly think some of today's Super Recievers can match up well to most seperates.
    Again it's all up to your ears.

I've heard mega-buck systems using state-of-the-art electronics and speakers at Hi-Fi Shows that sound nice but many times over-bearing.
    When I return home I'm always pleasantly suprised that my more modest system sounds pretty good compared to that stuff.

I believe for the average music/video fan (not talking Joe-6-pack here) but someone who is discerning about their music , they can easily find joy in today's modern a/v Recievers.

But you do need to spend at least over $800 bucks for the Reciever. My Denon 3300 was considered a bargain at $999 a few years ago. It was only second to their top-of-the-line 8300 which costs nearly $3K.

8. GoldenBoy

So, would you say that the Sony STR-DA2ES and STR-DA4ES that I am looking at fall into this category, or are there other units you would recommend over these?

9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I suggest that you check out the following link. Click on "Forums" on the top and pick the appropriate forum to ask the question. These guys really know their stuff and as I'm not familiar with the speaker system in question I feel you will get much better and informed advice there.
    I hope this helps.

http://www.klipsch.com/

10. GoldenBoy

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. :)

11. JohnG

The Sony's are fine Recievers. Just check out as many brands as you can at your price point.
    Each brand has a certain sound signature that you may like or dislike. I prefer the Denon line but I've heard Sony's and Yamaha's are they were very musical too.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly, check out all kinds of receivers at your price point. I, for now, am settling with an RCA minisystem with surround capabilities and a built-in bass boost (but I can still adjust the EQ to suit my taste of music), a Gemini Mixer and Gemini turntable and I get sound that's just as musical to me as many component systems. This setup does work with my digital cable just as well and many other things so I can still buy the same equipment Joe Sixpack buys and yet get the sound I want. As always, YMMV. Pawn shops are great places to get good stereo receivers as well.

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Panasonic makes a DVD-A / SACD 5.1 reciever with the 5 analog inputs, for under 300$$. It got great reviews in Sound and Vison .

Until they finalize the digital interconect for 5.1 this is a pretty good deal.

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I almost bought one of these just to have a listen; you can't beat the price/features ratio, that's for sure.

In the long run, though, I went for a Denon 3802. I'd read good things about it on the Forum, and most user reviews were wildly enthusiastic. I have to say that I am very pleased. This receiver seems to do exceptionally well at its double duties. Both HT and 2-channel/multichannel music sound very good to me on the 3802.

The 3803 is on the way--it may be here already. So watch Tweeter, Crutchfield, etc. for bargains as the 3802 is closed out.

15. GoldenBoy

I've been trying to find information on the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, but none of the information I find -even on Pioneer's own website - is very detailed. Specifically I would like to know how many analog multichannel inputs it has; are they 5.1, 6.1, 7.1? Are they analog direct or do they convert them to PCM? Does anyone here know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.