Yoko Ono - Approximately Infinite Universe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm absolutely floored by how good this album is. If it wasn't for Band On The Run being released at the end of the year, I'd say this is easily better than any of the solo Beatles albums from 1973. I especially love the guitar work on this album - who played lead? And, what are some albums that are similar to this one? By Yoko or other artists.

2. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

You’ll enjoy Yoko’s Feeling the Space and the A Story albums as well.

3. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I prefer Fly myself but AIU has its moments like What Did I Do. Most of the lp IMO is too slick and accessible. That's not how I like my Yoko Ono :)

4. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

This was Yoko’s best album. I agree the music is top notch and the lyrics are excellent.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Fly is my favorite and Feeling The Space is also very good.

ConnieGuitar and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  6. Wally Swift

Heck I'll take this trio of albums over the entire output of you know who any day and twice on Saturday.

7. Wally Swift

8. I’ve said the same thing many times as well, and it’s a very polarizing position to take. But it’s the only one you can take if you’ve actually listened to the records. (In my opinion.)

9. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Personally I preferred Fly and Plastic Ono Band but as has been previously mentioned here AIU was more accessible. Her backing group on AIU were Elephant’s Memory .

Jerquee and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

This and Feeling The Space are Yoko's peak IMO

11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I listened to this album once in summer of 2017 because I heard it was highly regarded as Yoko's best solo album. She's singing here instead of wailing/shrieking, which is what most would associate her style to. I really love the soulful/r&b strut of "I Have A Woman Inside My Soul". John Lennon appears on that track with backing vocals and a few others too. "What A Mess", and "I Want My Love To Rest Tonight". He even has a little end line in "Shiranakatta".

pghmusiclover and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  12. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I hadn't heard this album until the most recent reissue and was delightfully surprised. It makes for a fascinating contrast to "Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band" and "Fly", a more conventional outing for sure but a great vehicle for her as a lyricist and frontwoman.

pghmusiclover and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I loved “Fly”, but when I heard this, I was blown away! It followed in the path of the gorgeous “Mrs. Lennon”, showcasing a completely different side of Yoko.

Cynthia Tebbetts likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't have this album yet but discovered Yoko's Bandcamp profile recently, so I'll check it out there soon.

15. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Though the credits state the songs were written by Yoko. How many of the songs were actually written by John? Any insider info?

16. Wally Swift

One time in a pub in the Czech Republic I managed to get a Yoko mixed CD played. Everyone was digging it until I was asked who it was. It was immediately turned off. I do not understand such behavior.

17. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

o_O:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Like others here, I prefer YO/POB and Fly, but Approximately Infinite Universe is a great album. The title song feels like new wave music before new wave.

I suppose my top 5 Yoko would be.....................
    POB
    Fly
    Approximately Infinite Universe
    Rising
    Season of Glass

19. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

I find 'mainstream' Yoko pretty boring......especially a double album's worth. For me, she's at her best when exploring the edges, not the centre. I'll stick with POB & Fly.

elaterium likes this.
  20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I love AIU ! Catchy songs. MOVE ON FAST really rocks. Sorry, but most credit goes to Lennon and to Elephant's Memory. I like Yoko, but she could never have pulled this off herself. This album makes my top 50, and that says a lot !

21. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

A few AIU song shoutouts....Waiting for the sunrise is a catchy and really cute pop song ,

I felt like smashing my face in a clear glass window and what a mess are pretty hilarious and also musically enjoyable

ConnieGuitar and pghmusiclover like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

My favorite song from this, by far, is “Death Of Samantha”. I kept trying to convince one of Holly Cole’s label reps at the time that it would be a perfect song for Holly to cover!

That is followed closely by the closing track “Looking Over From My Hotel Room”, which I find to be hauntingly beautiful.

RVA_101, Davido and cmcintyre like this.
  23. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Of the four Apple albums this is my favourite - one aspect I particularly appreciate is the breadth of the lyrical content - perhaps running the full range of human emotions, supported by very listenable and varied accompaniments. A find it a little more Jazz tinged than the more mainstream follow up Feeling the Space. Maybe it is the scope that having more time on the double album to cover more ground provides.

For me, it's a desert island disc.

Indeed a great song, and for those who find this album too mainstream, maybe funambulist Hermine (Demoriane)'s excellent & challenging version might be more to your taste. From her album, "Lonely At the Top".

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    pghmusiclover likes this.
  24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Don’t want to upset anyone but I like it more than any Wings album.

25. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I like this album a lot. It's amazing that this was recorded with the same Plastic Ono Elephant's Memory Band lineup as "Sometime In New York City"; they sound much more refined here.

This is the first album I point to when contending with Yoko haters. Polarizing, sure, but talentless she ain't.

The Mars Volta did an amazing version of "Death of Samantha" on some late 2010 tour dates, in a medley with Marianne Faithfull's "Broken English". One of the last great Volta jams.

ConnieGuitar and Culpa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.