You are drawn to DSD for what and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rodney sherman, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

from what I understand, dac like t+a dac8 is actually, by upsampling pcm to dsd, allow to use simpler design and bypass normal stages found in any dac.
    In such design, from what I understand, no chip dac or R2R is needed.

you also need a very powerful server and computer to really be able to resolve dsd512. this thread cover how extensive the computer side must be. T+a dac 8 dsd - Page 11 »
    but once that its resolve, its likely the best technology and very cheap considering. FWIW, one of the designer of Vivid and B&W nautilus was shocked by the sound of the t+a dac8 iirc.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

My Oppo 105 with Synology NAS is pretty much that combination. I can hard wire the Ethernet to reduce jitter and can stream DSD this way using my iPad to play music with the Oppo remote app. It's one heck of a good setup that makes it difficult to upgrade to another player.

3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I'm reading through that WBF thread and it feels off to me. People are talking about a listening test and not listing all the equipment used. It also sounds like DSD512 is magically adding information that simply isn't there, which to me sounds fishy. Maybe I'm not understanding what's going on and need to hear it for myself, but I will say that right now it feels like you're taking a standard definition DVD, up converting it to HD resolution, and telling me it looks just like film. That simply does not work.

4. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

T+a dac 8 dsd - Page 2 »

dont put all dsd dac in the same basket.

the t+a dac8 for example is a chipless DSD dac and the first of its kind. this is where the advantage to upsampling pcm to dsd becomes real compared to all multi bit chip dac.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I'd have to hear it for myself to believe it, frankly. Again, look at how fishy this all sounds:

The claim is that DSD sounds better than analog playback, only when converted to these insane file sizes by a single software application that is also applying sound shaping filters, and only when played back via a single specific $4,000 DAC, and even then a lot of computers can't even handle the playback. And this is mostly based on a single listening session where the participants won't even list all the gear.

What's the more likely conclusion, unforeseen breakthrough in digital sound, or hype train pulling fast away from the station?

Again, this is the video equivalent of saying you can make SD video look better than film by upconverting the image to 8k resolution. It's a tough sell, but the proof is in the pudding. Who knows, maybe in two years we'll all own T+A DACs and will have sold our analog rigs because they been bested, but something tells me that probably isn't the case.

6. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.