You are the weakest link -- Goodbye!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MITBeta, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member Thread Starter

Okay, help me decide which of my components is most in the need of upgrading?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Turntable first, man. :thumbsup:

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

In order (1 and 2 are almost a tie):

1. Ditch the Bose.

2. Get a turntable.

3. Keep the DV563A.

4. Upgrade receiver. With what, I don't know. Depends on what you want to use your system for.

Gotta admit though--at least you don't have those Bose Acoustimess speakers.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Turntable!

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I would agree with Rudy on this, but make this a distant last. That's a fantastic and versatile Home Theater reciever (and, if it's anything like my RX-V995, one model down from the 2095), not too shabby at audio, either!

6. audio

audio New Member

I say you loose the no highs, no lows...Bose.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Replacing the Bose may be the most expensive option but it's probably worth it.

Wanna hear a story? No? Well I'm going to type it anyway! ;)

A friend's cousin has an audiophile system - electronics worth thousands of dollars, expen$ive cables, etc. - and original Bose speakers. (Sorry, don't know the names of any components). He recently found some used Wilson Watt Puppies (that were being used as rear speakers) and traded in the Bose.

He was astonished at what he was missing. :eek: He's been listening to his music collection for the past month - it's like it was all brand new.

So.... Bose is my vote. And you may get some bucks for it.... ;) :D

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Of course, the Puppies may trump a lot of speakers, but I get your point :)

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

(Actually, I'd like to visit the guy who were using them as rears!!! Yikes! :eek: )

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

First, lose the Bose! Second, get a TT!

11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

A TT will open a new world of music for you, inexpensively, unless you really get into it in the future.

You are probably used to the sound of your Boses, and if there's nothing that irritates you about them, keep them until you really feel you need to change them.

12. MITBeta

Thanks for all your replies so far. I decided a few weeks ago that the Bose finally had to go. I got them VERY cheap about 5 years ago, and they've served me well, but since I've recently been introduced to high resolution audio (and re-discovered the beauty of vinyl) I've started noticing things that I don't like about them.

So I started out thinking I was going to upgrade my speakers, but then after some reading, and some more reading, and visiting some audio shops in my area I was somewhat convinced that upgrading the speakers first would only highlight the flaws in the rest of my system...

So over the next year or two I hope to upgrade the whole system, and now it looks like I'm back to starting with the speakers.

Thanks for the comments on the Yamaha... I've always liked this receiver and I'm glad to hear that others do too, although my next step will be a separate pre-amp/processor and amplifier.

Keep voting, please... I'm still curious. :D

13. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've always felt that upgrading the speakers makes the biggest difference in the sound, and if those are the components you're least satisfied with, replace them. If I remember, these Bose models are more of a "full-range" type than the Acoustimesses that are out there. (The 301 I remember as a bookshelf speaker with the tweeter on one corner.) If anything, you won't be hearing flaws so much as you'll be able to hear any other improvements you make down the road. I feel, too, that if you swapped out the speakers and added the turntable, you'd be quite pleased with the outcome and really couldn't make any huge gains until you spent a LOT of money to replace the other components. (Or put another way, you probably couldn't hear future improvements through those speaekrs!)

IMHO, replacing the DV563A wouldn't make a difference until you spent at least several hundred dollars on a replacement universal player (and, do you think you could hear the difference to justify that much of a change right now?). Likewise a receiver...if you replace it with the separates, you'll be spending a big chunk of money to replace those.

14. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

That's the order I would have chosen also. New speakers will definitely make a huge difference. I had Bose bookshelfs... I spent a measly $600 for 4 Infinity's (not the best speakers ever but in my price range) and the difference is night and day!

15. Ian

Ian Active Member

Definitely get rid of the Bose.

16. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I recommend that you upgrade your speakers and then get a new turntable.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No highs no lows it must be Bose.

18. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Dump those Bose. Then, pick up a good TT.

19. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Dump those Bose first. You might not want to dump anything else afterwards.

20. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I originally voted for you to get a TT, first as I can't imagine an audio system in the home without one. However, the more I think about it the more I come to agree with the others:

Ditch the Bose, you will be amazed at the difference.

So, in effect, I have changed my vote! :)

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I voted to ditch the Bose. If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, please consider upgrading your speakers in stages. A complete set of surround sound speakers can get expensive. I would recommend, if funds are an issue (as they are for most of us), that you consider upgrading your front 3 (or maybe just the front L + R) first. When funds become available again you can then get the matching surrounds.

If you upgrade everything at once and have to get less expensive speakers you may not be satisfied. Remember, speakers can be a long term purchase. I've had my Apogee Duetta Sugnatures for a decade and still love them!

22. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

What is your system primarily used for? Movies/Music wise.
    I see you have the Bose center speaker. That is the worst center speaker I have ever heard, heard it at Fry's last year. You can be sure that ANY center speaker you buy will best what you have now.

My advice would be to choose a speaker manufacturer that offers flexibility in matching speakers. Bose only offers 1, and only 1 horrible center speaker which is a crime, IMO. Good luck in your search. :)

23. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

Dump the Bose.

24. MITBeta

Thanks again for the additional input.

I have already auditioned a few different brands of speakers, and I'll probably be looking to spend about $2000 for a pair of fronts. I'll definintely have to upgrade in stages as was suggested.

I agree that the VCS-10 is horrible speaker, and the imaging of the 701s and 301s are both bad because they employ the direct/reflecting "technology" which just scatters sound all over the place.

I listened to a pair of Thiel 1.6s at my local shop and was just blown away by them...

Looks like it's speakers first...

25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

The Bose have go to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.