You (didn't) ask for it!! Nat King Cole Capitol matrix and take numbers, misc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Yeah, it's great. "You did more than count sheep last night."

It's all been released. And the more I think about it that's a pretty strange album for 1960, bunch of unrelated songs with various arrangers. More like 1955.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A precursor to Sinatra '65!

DLant likes this.
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Steve: going back over my notes, I have this from you from a few years ago...

Did you just mean to write 17 instead of 7 for the mono?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can't remember. Sorry. It's fading, like after studying for a math test.

5. Steve Hoffman

What fascinates me about this little bit of interplay is that when Nat was singing he was watching Lee behind the glass the entire time. Like a pupil watching his teacher while performing. Notice that Nat stops singing and says "What's the matter?" without Lee having said anything or stopping the take. Nat could see Lee's face and knew something was wrong.

I love stuff like that.

Kkfan, DLant, MLutthans and 1 other person like this.
  6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I've always meant to ask you about what Nat asks Lee after "I'm Gonna Sit Write Down and Write Myself a Letter" (bonus track on the old S&P). He says "I stepped on that, was I still in it?" What's he mean?

If Nat was the pupil then Lee sure loved his student. Pretty sad that he all but retired as soon as Nat died.

7. Steve Hoffman

Jordan, refresh my memory, what disk?

8. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Just one of those things LP for S&P. Had 3 bonus tracks from 1961 to match the Capitol CD.

9. Steve Hoffman

Geez, I can't even remember doing those bonus tracks! Do they match a Capitol CD version with the same bonus tracks?

10. MLutthans

Yes -- and I know that the decision was not yours to make, but the bonus tracks really break up the flow of the album. Too bad it was foisted upon you guys as a condition of release, as the audio in the grooves was truly first rate.

11. Steve Hoffman

Matt, I remember working on this S&P album at Capitol Studio B in the middle of the night. Did the three bonus tracks have the same mixes as the Capitol version or did I redo them?

12. MLutthans

From your original post back in the old days:
    I don't own the album (I heard it, though, at a friend's house about 3 years ago), but my recollection is that the whole thing is remixed. Maybe somebody else can 100% confirm.

13. Steve Hoffman

I remember doing it but I don't remember the second Billy May three-track assembly coming in that night, only the 1957 album assembly and the mono mix assembly (unused at that time)..

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I just played it a couple of days ago, and can swear the whole LP matched mix wise (though towards the end, I was listening from the other room). Do you need me to confirm, Steve?

The DCC LOVE IS THE THING I think had the old mixes on it (from WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?) for the bonus tracks...

15. Steve Hoffman

Can you confirm? Echo levels, etc. Thanks I have no recollection of the later album assembly but it was VERY late in spooky old Tower Studio B.

The DCC LOVE IS THE THING had the bonus track old mixes on it, yes. I felt we were pushing our luck in getting the three-track assembly reel for the album and I didn't want to push it further or put any more pressure on Cheryl Pawelski.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll try to remember to put it on tomorrow, Steve...

17. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Lemme know. My copy is in storage..

MMM likes this.
  18. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Don't have my copy with me either, but almost certain the whole package was remixed. Here is a brief blurb from Michael Fremer about the bonus tracks:

MMM likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve,

Thanks for posting this. Essential history for NKC buffs.

rxcory likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Must be right, Capitol would never do anything like that on their own. My bad for not remembering. However, it was a very long night when I worked on that.

Wish I could hear it..

MMM likes this.
  21. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Found it.

.crystalised. likes this.
  22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

And because you brought it up:

Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Jordan, always love hearing that. Actually it's take 7 that is the complete stereo take.

Do you hear Nat unconsciously jiggling his chain bracelet at the "harp" part at the start?

.crystalised. likes this.
  24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

So, in the clip above the complete take that follows the take 2 breakdown is take 7, not take 3 (or 4 as Gillette says)?

25. Steve Hoffman

Yes, that is correct. Take 3 was skipped, take 4 was a two bar "not together" breakdown, take 5 was the same, no Nat vocal involvement, take 6 was a complete take but not to Lee's satisfaction (used for a bit of the final mono version), take 7 was the stereo "keeper" with the popped "T", and take 8 was the mono "master", Nat's vocal not taken by the three-track machine because of them frantically trying to rewire the binaural room to take out that compressor that you can hear during the "T" pop on 7. By the time they got the limiter out of the system they were on to "Where Can I Go Without You" and the vocal sound was a LOT better.

.crystalised. and jtaylor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.