You ever just think it's time for an artist to hang it up in the studio?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It's their decision, not mine. I don't expect a magnum opus from someone 50 years into their career but if they have something they want to present to the public then good on them. My only role in the transaction is if I buy it or not.

2. JerryGarciaIsGod

JerryGarciaIsGod Active Member

Elton's last album was pretty fine?

Ringo has never made albums for the cash it seems, he just enjoys putting together a record and having fun which is evident in the music.

Meyer and Musician95616 like this.
  3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I think more in terms that it's time for me to stop following an artist.

modela and DTK like this.
  4. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Should be like most workers. Retire when you have earned enough money.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not even when it's awful, or embarrassing. There's enough equipment and resources in the world today, for everybody to treat it as practically a First Amendment right - even outside of our borders (or our Barnes & Nobles).

If you can't keep an artist you never heard of, never clicked on, or never expected anything better from out of the limelight, you sure as hell can't expect somebody famous who still feels they have a contribution to make, from making it.

Remember, that's how Chuck Berry finally got his first #1 record. ;)
    (and, how Jethro Tull got their Grammy)

6. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

The thing that bothers me about someone like Billy Joel retiring is that they might get too self-conscious about stepping back out there and leave good (and potentially fulfilling) ideas/songs undeveloped and unrecorded. If he doesn't want to do anything that's fine.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and add Paul...

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neil Young. I don't know if his steady stream of subpar new albums since about 2002 has affected his legacy in the eyes of music critics or fans at large. Maybe it doesn't matter. For me, it has; but I just ignore his new stuff now. I don't have the same relation to his work that I did. But hey as I said - it's just me (and the other thousands of fans who might feel the same).

It's down to the artists to do what they feel like - we can't assume that they have the same motivation as us listeners.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

I am permanently bummed that XTC decided to "go on strike" against Virgin in the early 90s, thus not recording 1 or 2 albums in the 90s, and because Andy is terrible businessman, he spent way too much time trying to DIY/find a label Apple Venus/Wasp Star. Turned out pretty good though. For Apple Venus at least, but if you heard the Fuzzy Warbles series there's a least 4 albums worth of stuff right there that didn't get the Colin/Dave treatment and boy were they great.

Then it seems he game up writing and recording altogether. The latest EP with Robyn Hitchcock is amazing and shows he is not diminished in the least, but that was apparently recorded over 10 years ago.

10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

These artists do what they do - if it’s their passion to create more music, and somebody wants to sign them to a recording contract, why the heck not? It’s not a corporate gig where we can’t wait to retire as soon as the numbers say so.

11. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

I only mind if as Frank Zappa says, "You can't do that on stage anymore."

12. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Breaks my heart to say it but I agree with you :(

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...It breaks my heart to name him. : ( I love Paul!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.