You have $5000. to buy a pair of speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Hmm...thank you!

Sane Man likes this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

No problem. Mine are set up in a medium size basement (gameroom) and they sound great.

3. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

ATC SCM 19 v2 I've owned them now for 2 yrs best $4k I've spent and I don't see myself ever getting rid of them... Every time I play music though them they are revelatory...

4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, I know. It is an audiophile forum, after all. The best answer from me clearly would have been not to answer. I wouldn't even know where to begin with speakers in that price range.

marka and Mazzy like this.
  5. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

6. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

buy some Magnepans and spend the rest on music !

Archguy likes this.
  7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

$5K wouldn't get me anything better than the Apogee Duetta Signatures that I have. Now, give me 30K and I'll order a pair of Magnepan 30.7s!

8. Charles M

Charles M Forum Resident

I wouldn't have to buy them, because I'm already listening to them right now! ESS AMT-3 Rock Monitors!
    [​IMG]

timind, billnunan and Done A Ton like this.
  9. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Dayton B652 Air and $4950 for cables.

ChrisR2060, basie-fan, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

11. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Kef R11 looks very interesting. If it sounds like the LS50 with the dynamics and efficiency of a big speaker. it would be hard to beat.
    I wonder how efficient it is. I couldn't find an efficiency spec on the website.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Then I woke up! NOOOOOO

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

90dB @ 8 ohms.

JayNYC and avanti1960 like this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Used Klipschorns.

15. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Revel F208 without question. (That's assuming buying new. On the used market...who knows. Probably still the F208 but just paying less for them.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    timind likes this.
  16. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Spendor A7 looks interesting at $4995. Or the A4 for $1500 less. Gonna be hard to audition here in the states though.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  17. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Already did.
    Harbeth Monitor 30s.
    And I bought them for exactly THAT reason.
    One pair to keep until deader than a door nail.
    Take them to the old folk's home.
    These really sing a heavenly full sounding song in a smallish room like they have at the old folk's home say 10X12 with room for a tilt up bed and a bed pan.
    Meanwhile as I still smoke ganga (I have a license for it) and love to blast out concert volume (steady 105dB) to hear Jimi Hendrix AYE---I have "fleshed out" my pair for a much larger room (20X30) by adding two SVS 12 inch subs with parametric EQ and two Velodyne 15 inch subs plus a pair of Townshend super tweeters.
    Measured response in that large space is + or - 3dB flat from mid 20s to the limit of my measuring gear.
    And when they kick me out and force me into the home I can simply divest myself of all the add ons and go back to running just the core speaker---the Monitor 30s.
    I have been selling high end equipment and building recording studios for a living since MONO was king.
    Had McIntosh, Fisher, Krell, Lexicon, martin Logan, Sonus Faber, Bryston, Parasound, AR3a, JBL, Altec, and more than I can list over the years.
    The ENEMY to me is "upgradeitis."
    I bought the Harbeths so that I won't have to buy anything ever again.
    It has been working out quite well for the last decade and I have absolutely no desire to spend another dime on my core setup.
    Now I just fuss with little details and have fun doing so.
    I recommend this path to anyone with the skill to integrate a multi box setup with subs.
    It took a long time to learn how to get everything to jell but the sound I am getting is better than anything I have heard anywhere.
    And that is only right seeing as how I suffered through all the different "wars" that have occurred in our hobby.
    Anyone else remember when FM was on ONE radio and the stereo channel was over on your AM tuner?
    How about before they even HAD stereo?
    I draw the line at Edison phono cylinders however.
    Happy Holidays everyone.
    Hope your listening is as deeply satisfying as it gets.
    Ho Ho Ho.

basie-fan, timind, Bubbamike and 5 others like this.
  18. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

I already did,
    ProAc D40R

[​IMG]

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I just checked my checking account and this thread is a LIE!

20. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Alternatively, if you have skill, loadsa money and DIY obsession. Including the custom 55 x 30 foot listening room.

5400 Hours of Fun, Part 2

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yeah, 90 db according to the manual which is why i listed it here. multiple woofers add to the efficiency so that the tweeters and midrange do not need to be choked off with an L-pad.
    the old R series did not sound like the LS50s (unfortunately). Hopefully they came closer with the new series, especially the flagship.

Thouston likes this.
  22. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who responded.

23. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Ah yes, this would all blend perfectly with a package of geriatric Twinkies.
    Cranking the system would be OK because most of your neighbors can't hear
    well BUT the thumping can bother them so out with the subs.

24. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

The Focals came to mind right away. And I haven't even heard them yet.
    What can I say? I'm weak in the presence of beauty.

[​IMG]
    Otherwise, yeah, a Maggie 3.7i pair. They don't do everything perfectly, but at what they do best, I've heard no equal. Buy everything used, really. Which reminds me: I had the experience of hearing some six-figure speakers recently for an extended listening session, with some of my favorite music. Very impressive, but not for one moment did they disabuse me of my conviction that the point of diminishing returns sets in well below $5000.

So in a surprising way, it was something of a relief.

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I agree with the Vandersteen 3A Sigs, or even a pair of 2A Sig 2s and leave a few bucks on the table. These classic Vandersteen, time/phase correct speakers produce a holographic sound stage almost like no other speaker I’ve heard at at any price point. They punch far outside of their class. I think the 5A is the next step, but a decent used pair is $10K, double the budget here. The Treos and Quatros have a different sound profile - faster, more “hit you in the chest,” extremely detailed, and a forward sound. The 2A and 3A are more ambient, laid back. I see you own both the Treos and the 3A so you have the best of both worlds there!

If I had to choose one, though, it would be those 3A sigs.

macster, paulieb00 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.