You have $5000. to buy a pair of speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:laugh:

I'd change that to $20 for cables, $4,900 on music.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I wish they still had the A-line with dual woofers. Have you heard the A-7?

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have not. My dealer claims they sound very close to SP100s, so they should be great.

4. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

conicident dynamites : anyone heard or considered these?

5. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

6. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

I'm interested in the A7 but spending $5000 on a 3000 British Pound speaker is a tough call. Markups like this aren't uncommon on British audio gear but they make me want to look for something from closer to home.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I hear ya, but they're fully competitive with many other $5K speakers. It's not that they're overpriced in the states (at least not relatively speaking), it's that they're a great value across the pond.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  8. layman

layman Forum Resident

The Pound has been falling as the Brexit Crisis spirals on. Surely, the more favorable exchange rate will be reflected in the US price?

9. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I’d buy a set of speakers for $7-800 and spend the rest on $1 bin records! ;>)

bhazen and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  10. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Not necessarily. It depends upon the importer who may be happy to add profit rather than reduce prices on an item they have positioned as upmarket.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Don’t bet on it. :(

The pound has already fallen by 25% vs the US dollar since 2014. Yet I do not recall a lot of UK audio products being heavily price-cut in the US to reflect that, if at all.

I think, as always, products tend to be priced according to the rule of ‘what the market will bear’. :sigh:

Hifi Kenny and Helom like this.
  12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Sierra Acoustics towers with ribbon tweeter, $2,700.
    Pair of SVS SB-2000 subwoofers, $1,300.
    Belden 10 gauge hookups, $90.
    All direct mail with iberal return policy.
    In your room with your system? Maybe. In my room with my system? Ecstatic. Inner detail and transparency are mind-blowing.

Grateful Ed and johnnypaddock like this.
  13. Brian Breslin

Brian Breslin Member

I owned ATC SCM 19V2, and had to sell them because I could not sell a second, more expensive, pair of speakers (couldn't keep both). I regret selling those, and will acquire another pair if I ever sell my Martin Logan Ethos, which is an excellent speaker, but not in my small room. I can imagine them as keepers. FWIW, I have owned Harbeth 7es3 and Spendor D7. I couldn't live with the cabinet resonance of the Harbeth, and found the Spendors too lightweight (and I am by no means a 'bass freak').

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Different strokes that's for sure. I'm having a hard time imagining parting with my C7ES3 and couldn't live with the detached bass of the Martin Logan Ethos.

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

you must really love this brand, I had the bigger 28 in my room for a week and couldnt wait to get rid of them, replaced them with some PSB used locally and they blow your brand away.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I do. What did you dislike about the 28s ? In what respects did you find the PSBs to be superior ?

17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Opera Loudspeakers, Seconda model.

18. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

I listened to the Spendor D7 at a local dealer and was disappointed with the lack of bass. I wasn't blown away, but they did sound nice on LZ No Quarter. The overall sound didn't excite or move me. The setup was Technics SL-1200GR, Parasound Halo Jr phonostage, Rogue Cronus Magnum II, I'm not sure which cartridge was used.

I have been researching the Asend Acoustics Sieera RAAL Towers, and would like to find a local owner to listen to them. Gene Rubin and Acoustic Sounds suggested to try the Spendor A7. Something to think about.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

A lot of second and third tier brands are mentioned herein which is fine perhaps in terms of sound. I would caution folks to be aware that many small high end companies have gone out of business and, even if that's not the case, resale value of lesser known brands could be impacted.

20. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Another happy Vandersteen owner here (2ce Signature II with a single 2wq subwoofer) voting for the 3a Signatures. My next upgrade will be either those or the Treo CT.

chili555 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  21. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep....had model 1b,2ci,3a,3a signatures and currently quatro signatures...never been tempted to change brands...Richard Vandersteen knows whats required to make your music enjoyable.

22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

If you get the Treo CT which I own and recommend, keep the 2wq subwoofer.

23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Just went through this exercise. Went to one dealer and listened to the Triton 1.r. Then to another and listened to the Spendor SP200 ( yes the $25k ones), and even the wife said I should go back and get the Golden Ears. Believe me, she is the one that ALWAYS picks the higher priced of any item and she was fine with me getting the Spendors if I wanted them. Went back and got the T1.r’s and haven’t looked back. Absolutely love them!

ggjjr likes this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Very cool. :)

As it sounds like you've run through most of their lineup one rung at a time, can you elaborate on what the improvements were as you moved up the line? What struck you the most?

Same question for Padreken as well.

Vandys are on my speaker short-list (along with Buchardts). :thumbsup:

25. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Used pair of Harbeth 30.2 Anniversary speakers, no contest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.