You Love 'Em, You Hate 'Em--Guilty TV Pleasures....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I wouldn't say I'm hooked on any TV show, with the possible exception of Chappelle's Show, but Most Extreme Elimination Challenge is fantastic. I'll also sit and watch a marathon of Let's Bowl anytime it's on, but I think that's brilliant rather than a guilty pleasure - though I haven't found anyone else who agrees with me! :D

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Probably Great Hotels on the Travel Channel. Don't know why I'd be interested in what's basically a tour of various hotels throughout the country, but it's probably because the host, Samantha Brown, is so cute and genuinely funny.

I'm also hooked on the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters where two Hollywood special effects guys either prove or disprove various urban legends. Stuff like, if you throw a penny off of the Empire State Building, it could kill someone below (it won't), if you shoot a bullet through a pressurized plane cabin, it will blow a giant hole in the fuselage, sucking up everything with it (again, it won't), and the story of the three inmates who escaped from Alkatraz on a raft made of raincoats (they actually demonstrated a way that they could have sucessfully made the escape and survived). Lots of fun stuff, and they usually find a way to blow a few things up each week.

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

On commercial TV networks, my "Guilty Pleasures," staying away from those that everyone watches, like the "CSIs" and "West Wing," are:

"Ed"
    "Judging Amy" (I practice trial law in Connecticut and yell at the screen each episode)
    "Hack"
    "American Dreams" (great music and decent recollections of the Sixties)
    "Enterprise" (original Trekkie that I am)
    "JAG" (trial lawyer in me, again)

As far as the so-called "reality" shows go, I've watched "Survivor" since the very first episode, but I can happily admit that I have not watched one second of any of the others.

4. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Hey K-tel Chick great thread topic! Though it remains to be seen how *brave* other forum members will be in admitting their "guilty pleasures". Mine is The Newlyweds on MTV. I don't know what it is but I just can't get enough of Jessica and Nick. :rolleyes:

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love Newlyweds, Real World, Road Rules, and American Idol.

6. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

I'm addicted to "E" network, I love getting the LOW down on the stars, especially the really smutty stuff, who sleeps with who, who killed who, who buys the best boobs, nose, cheeks,ect..ect... :shh:

7. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Saved By The Bell. It's not funny, it's extremely cheesy, yet I can't help but watch it if I come across it. I have no illusions about it being remotely good, yet it has an oddly compelling quality about it... :shh:

8. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

No, thank you. I feel much better now for *admitting* that on a public forum. :winkgrin:

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Right now, American Idol and Survivor. American Idol is terrible this year, virtually no talent among the contestants, and I think it's getting to the judges as well.

I'm watching Survivor because a local woman(Kathy)is among the contestants. From Burlington, Vermont. Go, Kathy, Go! :laugh:

Evan

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

God help me, but I've been taping a show called STARTING OVER that runs at Noon on NBC here in L.A. It's a reality show; 5 (mostly middle-aged) women living together in a house along with "life coaches" who help them get on track with health/job/dreamcatching whatever. One gets booted every now and then if they don't get their act together. Put me in a dress and call me Sally, but it's very entertaining and dare I say it: inspiring.

11. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I do love Survivor (have tried to never miss any episodes since Season One....i'm not the only one am I), it is just fascinating stuff to me.

I have also been following American Idol (one show where the whole family can watch and discuss). The singing may be off this season but the drama continues.

I'm also a big fan of The Apprentice with Trump, again a fascinating show in regard to how people treat each other under pressure.

I also like The Bachelorette and Average Joe:Hawaii....both have very cute girls.

On Cable TV it's: The Osbournes and the Dave Chapelle Show (Charlie Murphy!!:D).

Enjoy The Jon Stewart Show also.

13. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I have to admit that I watch "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and I really enjoy it. The Fab 5 are funny, and its interesting to see how their subject will turn out.

My other guilty pleasures are from the past:

I love "The Brady Bunch," "Get Smart," and I secretly watched "The A Team" for years without telling anyone! :o

14. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

"Reno 911"

Although on some nights "Cops" is still the funniest show on TV!

15. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Well after really loathing American Idol...As a favor to my Wife, I watched it with her:love:......and, I quite enjoyed it!:thumbsup:

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Oh yeah, when I remember when its on I also enjoy American Chopper.

that reminds me....I need an "Orange County Chopper" t-shirt for the Summer.

http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've watched the past two seasons of "Big Brother" and enjoyed them. I am also currently watching "American Idol," at least some of the time. I must admit that I like the audition shows the best, though, because I like watching people make fools of themselves. :shh:

Guilty pleasure #1 from the past has to be "Match Game." I don't know why I get such a kick out of Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Gene Rayburn but I do. I also still love "The Brady Bunch," particularly the episode where the football hits Marcia's nose, and "The Beverly Hillbillies," particularly the episodes where Granny kicks a** in the wrestling ring to save some con artists posing as poor, country folk from losing their farm.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we never miss an episode of survivor, never.

renny

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My choice would be Unscrewed on Tech-TV.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, uh,

Gilligan's Island
    Brady Bunch
    Three's Company
    Golden Girls
    West Coast Chopper
    Monster Garage
    ER
    Big Brother
    Jerry Springer (on occasion)
    a couple of soaps

22. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I checked my prescriptions right after I said to my wife, "Turn on the TV. Average Joe is on." :shh:

23. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

All these post-80's shows are foreign to me. :D The only recent things I'll watch, with my girls, will be whatever is on Nickelodeon. Lately they're fond of the Fairly Oddparents, and of course Spongebob is a household favorite.

In the 80's I used to follow Miami Vice (I even had a small wardrobe to match....quit laughing), Crime Story and Max Headroom. In the early 90's we watched a lot of the Star Trek: Next Generation reruns, but that's about it. I would sometimes follow the PBS shows like This Old House, Motorweek and maybe New Yankee Workshop, but they don't do much for me anymore.

24. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Between the kids and the wife, I hardly get to see any TV anymore (and she wonders why I stay up late). However, when the TV is on, I've recently become hooked on Even Stevens on the Disney Channel.

My wife got me hooked on this show Clean Sweep on TLC. This show actually makes me feel pretty good because its good to see people's homes that are more cluttered than ours. My wife complains that we have too much stuff, but at least it's somewhat organized in either the attic or basement, it's not strewn about the house.

I had a mini Don Johnson suit as well (it hangs proudly next to my Beat It Michael Jackson jacket in the closet). :) I used to love Max Headroom.

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I really don't think of "Fairly Oddparents" or "Spongebob" as 'guilty pleasures'. I'm proud to watch as many of those as I can. :)

I agree on Miami Vice, however. When I was 14 that was the COOLEST show ever in the history of the universe! I recently saw an episode on the Spike network and, uh, it hasn't aged well. Not at all. :eek:

Currently I'm completely addicted to "The Apprentice". It's the only "reality" show I watch and I'm hooked beyond belief. A few of us here at the office actually have Apprentice Parties on Thursdays, where we drink some wine and discuss each episode in great length. That's bad. ;)

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.