You Love 'Em, You Hate 'Em--Guilty TV Pleasures....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hey Dan! How's it goin' these days? :)

I actually have a lot of the Miami Vice episodes on tape. I taped a lot back then, since I had a brand new JVC VCR, the first one to have HiFi, HQ and the then-new MTS stereo broadcast tuner. So I taped quite a few things that a lot of times, I never ended up watching again.

Crime Story was a show I got a kick out of. I'm hoping for a DVD box set one of these days. Columbia House has the series on VHS, so there must be some market for it.

2. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Michael, I'm laughing my a$$ off! But I'm very glad to hear it. It's been a favorite show of mine from its inception and I've always thought that more people (especially music fans like us here) would really enjoy it if they only gave it a try (and didn't expect to discover the next Beatles or Bob Dylan). If you only just started watching it, it gets much better - and it works even if you don't generally care for the kind of poppish singing that drives the series.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

I generally don't consider anything I like a "guilty pleasure," but I know what you mean. ;) I'd include such shows as "American Idol," "Unwrapped" and "Good Eats" on the Food Channel, and (when it was on) "Battlebots."

I used to like "Wild on E" but only when Brooke was hosting. ;)

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I got quite hooked on all of the home redecorating TV shows on HGTV. Also, I'm a sucker for Trading Spaces on TLC. My house looks terrible, so I'm obviously not learning anything! :)

Sean

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I am trying to avoid television entirely. I have no interest in reality shows. What a misnomer! If it was reality, then why not just watch people folding laundry, shoveling snow, driving to work, selecting breakfast cereal in the supermarket, driving one kid here, picking up another kid at a rec league basketball game, etc... Wait - that's my reality! :)

I am afraid that once I sit on my um, couch, to watch (if I have the time), I'll get sucked into the mindless void. I'm sorry, I just can't find the interest in watching someone take three minutes trying to describe why they want to team up with three more un-intersting people to select someone to kick off of Million Dollar Make Over Joe Bachelor Island Hotel.

But anyway, my guilty pleasures are still Andy Griffith followed by leve It To Beaver on TV Land before I go to bed.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Paternity tests on the "Maury Povich Show."

"... you are NOT the father!!!"

8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Some people at work and I like to go to this pizza place on Fridays for lunch. On the big screen we get to watch Maury. It's like a ritual for us. That show is like a train wreck...it's a mess but it's hard to look away.

Sean

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm the annoying guy at the party who tells everyone he doesn't have television -- in southern-most Maryland, you have to sign up for cable to pull in the Washington, D.C. or Baltimore channels, and I haven't got around to it since I moved in 18 months ago.

In defense of the pretentious I-don't-have-a-TV stereotype, as parodied by THE ONION, you have to tell people you don't have television; otherwise they expect you to discuss the latest episode of SURVIVOR or AMERICAN IDOL or THE SIMPLE LIFE. I don't think most people realize how much of their conversation is television-related until they or someone they know doesn't have it. In some ways, going through television withdrawal is as eye-opening as starting a vegetarian diet; you don't realize how deeply embedded meat or TV is in your daily life until you try to go without it.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Teletubbies. :eek:

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

12. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Just Shoot Me ( JSM ) with Maya, Elliot, Jack, Finch and Nina. A really fun show IMO. I wonder why it never really took off?

13. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

C'mon Jimbo - you know what the moral majority thinks of those Teletubbies! ;)

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Most of the people I know who proudly throw around that they don't have a TV are those people who think they are intellectually or morally superior, in other words, SNOBS. Some of them are downright ignorant. I know so, because I attempt to converse with these people. They don't even read newspapers!

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Like I said, I inevitably have to tell people I don't have television, especially at parties, after they demand an opinion on a reality show's season finale, or assume I know what they're referring to when discussing the latest breakout show, from QUEER EYE TO THE STRAIGHT GUY to AMERICAN CHOPPER. At some point, I have to say, "I haven't seen that show," and after they explain when and where it's scheduled and why I should watch it, I have to add "Well, I don't have any television, free or cable."

I do manage to watch a good amount of custom programming, in the form of DVD comps like THE SOPRANOS or THE FAMILY GUY, movies from Netflix, and sports at friends' houses. I keep putting off cable or satellite, partly due to the expense, and partly because I know I will just lay on the couch and channel-surf all night. There is one unexpected side-effect of procrastinating on television: my place is never chosen for get-togethers! No cleaning salsa out of the carpet for me.

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Frankly, Ron, you're not missing much. I find it more constructive of one's time to rent DVD's and watch them instead of most network programming. I don't have cable, and frankly, don't miss it much. Only when there's an important breaking news story, and then, if it's important enough, the broadcast networks will cover it.

Evan

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Interesting, it used to be that people boasted proudly of having cable and not having to deal with the big three networks' crap. Now, people denigrate cable.

Anytime you get something with a widely diverse audience, you will have those who run away from it. Cable is almost no different than it was twenty or thirty years ago. There is just more of it out there.

18. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Except for News or an occasional Sporting event - I do not watch network TV programs. Life is too short to spend watching drivel. I usually watch films on Cable channels or simply turn the TV off and listen to music - vintage music!

Bob :)

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve Hoffman's Vintage Music! :agree:

Evan

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

A fine example!

Bob :D

21. giraffetoe

giraffetoe New Member

I am a fan of Golden Girls. very guilty pleasure!

22. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I stopped watching television regularly in 1987. I worked during prime time, so the shows most people watched, I rarely saw. I eventually got rid of my TV I had in my small apartment. When I moved to Wisconsin in 1995, I still didn't have a TV, and I might not have one now if I hadn't won a VCR in a raffle in the summer of 1996! :laugh: I finally bought a TV in July 1996.

Even with a TV, it's off far more often than it's on, and I've never ordered cable or satellite -- I pick up three stations well and three others fuzzy, almost like when I was growing up. :laugh: Most of what I watch on TV is live sporting events and, once in a while, the local news, mostly for the weather. That said, I do try to keep up with what's on TV even if I don't watch it; I at least try to know the basic premise of most shows.

When I am at my mom's or any of my sisters' homes, though, I tend to OD on TV. My favorite guilty pleasures? The Weather Channel (except when they turn off the maps and put on one of their silly, overdramatic series) and Bodies in Motion (much more for the bodies than for the motion).

But when I'm home, I'd rather listen to the radio (speaking of guilty pleasures: I LOVE listening to sports talk radio, where the hosts are usually more stupid than the callers) or put on some good music rather than watch television.

When I did watch TV regularly, I had many guilty pleasures. Solid Gold was the guiltiest -- ah, the female Solid Gold Dancers... :love:

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm in the same position as you Tim...receive three stations well and three fuzzy. I also will go to a friend's to watch some cable now and then. Sometimes, I'll listen to Phil Hendrie's talk show(a laugh riot)in the evening instead of TV.

Evan

24. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Headline News with Rudi Bakhtiar :righton:

25. I don't watch much TV at all, but if I happen to be watching at the right times I will tune into Ed, EDD and Eddie. My wife looks at me funny and wonders what I am chuckling at because she thinks the show is stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.