Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - worth watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by coffeetime, Dec 1, 2022.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member Thread Starter

Never had the opportunity to see the series, I suspect in part with it not having ever been particularly accessible here in UK (not sure if it aired originally here, and until the DVD release, not sure it was available on home video either). I've always had a certain curiosity around the series, particularly as it was made in between Lucasfilm's golden era (1977-1989, arguably 1997) and the modern era (1999-Disney acquisition).

I understand that the series is different in tone to the parent films (how could it not be? It's a TV series without the peak blockbuster Spielberg at the helm) and has an educational component to the globetrotting.

Still, the series does hold a certain fascination, and would like to know how it was/is regard by those who have seen it. The version on iTunes looks to be all but one of the original episodes in their originally aired lengths and edits, rather than the '2 part movie' edits that saw a home video release for a time.

Dyland likes this.
  2. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Oh, just watch it.

In the amount of time it took you to start this thread, you could've finished an episode.
    :D

coffeetime likes this.
  3. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I was excited for it when it aired back in the 1990s. Unfortunately, it was boring as hell.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  4. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

They have Indiana all over the world meeting about every famous person you can think of from 1900-1930 Tolstoy, Puccini, Theodore Roosevelt, Al Capone, Manfred von Richthofen, Frank Kafka, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. Probably meant to introduce the youths to these people as the DVD have documentaries on some of them. Harrison Ford has an appearance in one set in 1950 but not the whole episode. Perhaps the best but is Indy meeting Kafka and trying to get a telephone installed to recent a message only it turns Kafkaesque.

Best bit : Indiana as a Belgian army officer in World War I explaining to his soldiers why they are in France fighting Germans because the heir to the Austria-Hungarian throne was killed by a Serbian nationalist with support from his government officials.

It got criticized for the highest deaths on television but a lot of it was set in WWI.

I really wouldn’t expect too much out of it. It’s okay. And it doesn’t have Kate Capshaw screeching

coffeetime likes this.
  5. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Didn't Terry Jones direct an episode?
    Wonder what the other Terry thought of that!:laugh:

6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

i watched it and thought they were pretty good for their time ! however i think it could do with a reboot and new cast with cgi becoming very good they could do something amazing with it .