Young musician opens all-analog recording studio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

He he fares well!

3. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Best of luck to him!

4. redchaser

redchaser Member

I wish him well, but his web site shows that he charges $20 an hour for recording/mixing. That's a good way to starve to death.

ConnieGuitar and Panama Hotel like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

While ensuring that clients spend more money per project than they would spend recording digitally for 3x that hourly rate.

dobyblue and Panama Hotel like this.
  6. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Hopefully it will start a trend.

7. somnar

somnar Senior Member

And an even better way to get a lot of projects under one's belt and learn the craft.

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I don't see this working. No 24-track. Tape costs were ridiculous before, astronomical now.
    Even at 20/hr., I would pass.
    I could see him getting business from people who own those other formats and want to transfer them, but there again...no Pro Tools.

Dan

Rfreeman likes this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Go!

somnar likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My. Young doesn't need the money. I think the dirt-cheap rate is to encourage people to record analog. Besides, the cost of blank tape should off-set that low rate.

Svetonio likes this.
  11. Grant

You don't need no stinkin' Pro-Tools. Why can't you record, mix, and master old school? Oh how did we ever survive before digital recording?

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Reality check: today you do need Pro Tools.

I forgot where I was. SH forums. Analog good, digital bad. Every time. Silly me.
    Sorry, that just isn't true.

The reason why you can't do it old school is simply cost. Harsh reality.

Tape was great back in the day, when everybody tracked to 2" and you could go around to multiple studios and work.
    That changed in the 90's with smaller studios with ADAT and DA-88s.
    Now, the only hope you have is Pro Tools.
    The A/D converters used to be trash. Not anymore.

I did survive before Pro Tools, did plenty of work on 2" tape.
    In fact, I am doing a project where we are tracking on PT and mixing to 1/2",
    and EVEN THEN people are rolling their eyes at us.
    We're doing plenty of things that would just be impossible on 2", especially with our budget.

As I said before, tape was expensive, but doable. Now it's almost twice what it was.
    And with the ever-shrinking, if not non-existent, profit margin of selling an album, those are real concerns.

In terms of running a business, you want to maximize your compatibility, not be the only kid on the block.
    I don't even understand what the workflow on a project would be. No way would I be taking home rough mixes on
    cassette. Those TASCAM decks were the biggest joke. I hated them.

So many people have home setups, so good, bad, or otherwise, the DIYers have choked the studio industry.
    THAT is a tragedy, not the format.

It's funny, I'm willing to bet that the loudest pro-analog shouters today are people who either have never made an album
    or haven't done so in a very long time.

Dan

13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Analog! Ha! It'll never work.
    :unhunh:

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  14. Grant

Well, I wasn't talking about cost of overall production. I also mis-read the topic to mean Neil Young, probably because it's something he would do:D.

Dan, I believe your mindset is on the professional world. I'm thinking this guy is small-time in an isolated area, and not technically in the industry as you are/were. My reply still applies in that if the guy is wealthy or something, he doesn't need to charge more, but all that other stuff will cost.

Technically, you don't need Pro Tools (or any other digital interface) to record, mix, or master, unless you are going for a digital product. If you have an analog multitrack deck, tape, and analog board, where does the digital come in? I'm sure there are still people out there with refurbished or preserved analog gear.

All Down The Line and musicfan37 like this.
  15. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I checked his website. Here's what he's got (so far):

Tape Machines:

Tascam 32 (2 track)
    Tascam 22-4 (4 track)
    Tascam 38 (8 track)
    Otari MX-70 (16 track)

Console:

Soundcraft 8000

Outboard:

Roland Space Echo 150 (Tape echo) Fostex 3180 (Stereo spring reverb)
    DBX 160A
    DBX 266XL
    Yamaha SPX90 (This will be replaced with our plate reverb)
    Alesis Microverb 4 (This will be replaced with our plate reverb)

Microphones:
    AKG D12VR
    2 AKG C414EB P48
    AKG C451
    Shure SM7b
    Shure SM57
    Shure SM58
    3 ART ribbon mics

Amps:

Fender Twin Reverb (70s)
    Fender Quad Reverb (70s)
    Fender Bassman 100 (70s)
    Silvertone 1484 (60s)
    Silvertone 1485 (60s)
    Yamaha B100
    Ampeg 6x10 cab

Drums:
    Ludwig Black Beauty snare (LB417BT) Ludwig 26x14 bass drum
    70s Silver Rodgers Kit
    Paiste 2002 Sound Edge 15" hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 20" Crash
    Paiste 2002 24" Ride
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Silver)

Monitoring:

Avantone CLA-10 (pair)
    Yamaha HS8 (pair)
    FM transmitter (for car monitoring)

Not a bad start for a young guy in 2019. He has more than my father had in his tiny studio when I was a kid. And there are worse 1" 16s out there than the MX-70 (imho).

16. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

You're right, you don't technically need it, however....all those things need expensive maintenance to stay running. I wonder who he could find to even work on the stuff, or even find parts.
    That's really prosumer stuff...the Tascam 38 is, from what I recall....ok. I have never worked with a 1" audio format and probably wouldn't.

I say that the story makes great copy, but IMO he is peeing in the wind.

Whomever works there has to be really careful, because a) he/she will have to all of the work there and b) not all mastering studios even have tape machines--at least the ones you would find at a $20/hour price point project.

Dan

17. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Wow it took a entire four responses for negativity to flare up and deflate something that would enhance Music for mankind.

Bachtoven and Digu like this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

As the skills and equipment become in shorter and shorter supply, their value will certainly rise. We need people to take on the challenge of setting up this sort of studio even if its actual usefulness is highly debatable.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Switching to horse drawn buggies would be a similar boon

rod, wayneklein and nosticker like this.
  20. natsteel

natsteel Forum Resident

Not to hijack the thread, but this type of thing has a much bigger following in Europe. Sound on Sound did a great mom-documentary video of a studio in England that is completely setup with 1950s recording gear. I wish the kid good luck. As someone who has been recording at home digitally for almost 20 years, I admire his passion. And while most music today is made on digital systems, much of the software being used are replications of old vintage gear.

For those interested in the Sound on Sound video:

Bill Larson and NearysEpiphany like this.
  21. So what does a band do with the tape when their project is finished? Unless they’re going straight to vinyl there’s going to be an A/DA conversion. I have a home studio with some Universal Audio gear and their A/DA converters are pretty fantastic, I’d be hard-pressed to believe non-pros on this forum could tell a sonic difference (outside of tape hiss, and I could even emulate that if I was so inclined... which I’m not).

If I’m in a band, I want for my material to get ‘out there’ (YouTube, iTunes, etc.) with as little headache as possible. Getting an analog master means a digital conversion to get that done.

OptimisticGoat and ispace like this.
  22. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

What, no mention of Lon Van Eaton? Come on then, how did he charge?

bradman likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Negotiated a rate for the project, not per hour. I did two songs in another studio where I paid $50/hr for Engineer & Studio and produced myself.

24. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

SM-58s and a Black Beauty snare?

I'm in!

2141 likes this.
  25. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

He he enhance Music for mankind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.