Your 2 lp Stones Best-Of...Voodoo Lounge to Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smoke, Feb 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke

smoke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm of the opinion that the Stones can and should force a critical and public reevaluation of this era, in advance of their next original release (which should not be brickwalled, Dear God please).

Any thoughts on the Hot Rocks of these older gentlemen?

Double E and MRamble like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Do you have any?

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know this era well at all but Losing My Touch and Doom and Gloom would have to make it for me.

I'd definitely buy a good compilation of this era.

Szeppelin75 and MRamble like this.
  4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Im not gonna try to sequence a 2 lp set, but lets say this would be my 20 track best of since VL:

Love Is Strong
    You Got Me Rocking
    Out of Tears
    Blinded By Rainbows
    Thru and Thru
    Out of Control
    Already Over Me
    Saint of Me
    Low Down
    You Don't Have to Mean It
    How Can I Stop
    Don't Stop
    Rough Justice
    Streets of Love
    Oh No Not You Again
    Rain Fall Down
    Doom and Gloom
    One More Shot
    +2 songs from Blue and Lonesome

Szeppelin75, smoke and humpf like this.
  6. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

MRamble and warewolf95 like this.
  7. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Well that was about as depressing an exercise as could be on a Friday night. I’m a life long die hard Stones fan and surprised myself by how little of their output from the past three decades speaks to me in any measurable way. I came up with only

Love Is Strong
    Moon Is Up
    Brand New Car
    Little Baby
    Flip The Switch
    Saint Of Me
    Too Tight
    Losing My Touch
    Blue And Lonesome

beyond that, I couldn’t come up with any others that I would mind never hearing again.

8. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Moon Is Up
    Sparks Will Fly

Those two are essential tunes for any Stones best-of comp CD, regardless of era. Just my humble, non-expert opinion, of course.

MRamble and JuanTCB like this.
  9. smoke

A few but I'm far more interested in hearing from others who might have more expertise. I have trouble cutting Voodoo Lounge down to size (though I agree it would have been better if someone had) and the others didn't speak to me strongly enough for me to listen enough to have much of an opinion. But I did like some of all of them.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I was happy with VL, the other albums not so much.

J_D__ likes this.
  11. smoke

I'm going to do some playlists with your responses and might even report back - thanks!

12. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

13. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I love the '86-'05 era much more than most people (though I confess it's been a long time since I've listened to Bridges all the way through, and I can't remember how most of it goes). Blue And Lonesome is a pretty good album, but none of the songs work out of context for me, so I won't include any of those songs here. Not in a sequence, but these are the songs I always go back to:
    • "Love Is Strong" - This is a killer opening tune. I believe at one point, when they did a "vote for the songs you want us to play" thing, this one got so many votes that they got sick of playing it and took it off the poll! Well-deserved entry on the list.
    • "You Got Me Rocking" - This is just a fantastic tune. Not much more to say.
    • "The Worst" - One of my favorite Keef tunes. It's been a long time since I've been on a Stones binge, so I re-created my old favorites playlist, and when this one came on, I actually thought it was from Exile until he started singing! (Maybe I was confusing the intro with "Sweet Black Angel"?)
    • "Moon Is Up" - The drums on this song sound horrible, but maybe that was the point. Great melody on this one.
    • "Out Of Tears" - It's maybe a little over-dramatic, but this is a great ballad. For being the kings of rocking and rolling, they can still do a mean piano ballad!
    • "Blinded By Rainbows" - The title is so stupid, but the verses and the second half of the chorus are great - maybe in the top five Stones ballads. But, oof... "You're blinded by rainbows and faces in windows" - they should have come up with something so much better than that.
    • "Flip The Switch" - Not the fastest song they've ever done, as they claim (most people point to "Rip This Joint", but "Dirty Work" is another contender), but this is still a great little tune. Fantastic way to kick off Bridges To Babylon.
    • "Out Of Control" - Love this one! Spooky atmosphere, killer hook, and the lyrics are pretty good too. (There's a lot of cliches they could have fallen for and opted not to.) I only wish it didn't cross-fade into the next one.
    • "Saint Of Me" - Yeah, this one's kinda cheesy, but it's got some cool licks in it, and the chorus rocks.
    • "Let Me Down Slow" - Pretty much all of A Bigger Bang has horrible production and awful lyrics matched to some of the best tunes they'd written in a long time. The riffs, guitar licks, and especially melodies on this album are all top-notch, but Charlie plays a set of garbage cans throughout and the lyrics are consistently bad. I still rate it in my top ten Stones albums, though!
    • "Streets Of Love" - Like "Out Of Tears", cheesy and over-dramatic, but still melodic and memorable. The lyrics are a bit worse, the hooks are a bit better. Well, maybe not better - "Out Of Tears" had some pretty unique chord changes and this one is kinda simple. But I love it anyway.
    • "She Saw Me Coming" - Probably my favorite tune from A Bigger Bang. Stupid as hell, but in a good way. Mick's not too shabby on bass, either!
    • "This Place Is Empty" - Another nice Keef ballad. Production's a little better than the rest of the album (but not by a ton).
    That averages out to 51 minutes - maybe a bit long to be a single LP (I'd drop "Blinded By Rainbows" if forced to cut it down). To flesh it out to a double, there's a few songs I have some minor reservations about but these ones would be decent additions:
    • "Sparks Will Fly" - A couple of moments that make me shake my head ("sharks will cry" is a pretty glaring one), but overall, just a fun little rocker.
    • "Mean Disposition" - Another song that's not really anything special, but just fun to listen to.
    • "Rough Justice" - More horrible lyrics and production matched to great riffs and hooks. I didn't put this in the initial list because there's already two fantastic opening tracks in there, and this falls below a few Bigger Bang tunes for me - but this is still a good one. Apart from, y'know, the horrible lyrics and production.
    • "Rain Fall Down" - I'm not a huge fan of this tune, but it will bring some variety to this rocker-rocker-rocker-ballad-rocker-rocker-rocker-ballad compilation.
    • "Back Of My Hand" - Again, not a personal favorite, but it adds variety. I could have included a Blue And Lonesome track here, but those songs don't hold up very well outside the context of the album for me, and I can't pick any one that stands out among the others. I let that album stand on its own.
    • "Biggest Mistake" - Some of the better lyrics this album has to offer, and another nice hook. It definitely doesn't hit as hard as some of the other songs, though.
    That puts it to about 76 minutes total - single CD, double LP. Before I put it in sequence, I've got to re-listen to Bridges To Babylon. It's been a few years since I last played that, and I think I only played it once! I know what I'll be listening to at work tomorrow. I may decide to re-work this list - maybe not.

Oh yeah - I also haven't heard the Forty Licks and GRRR! tracks. I'm pretty sure they're all on Honk though, which is one I've been meaning to pick up.

ssmith3046 and Who'sTommy like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Spadeygrove and mbrownp1 like this.
  15. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

In terms of addressing the OP's assignment, this track listing is so perfect that we could pretty much close the thread at this point. Are there some of my favorites missing? Sure, there are a few I'd love to see ("I Go Wild," "Low Down," and "She Saw Me Coming"). But for the neophyte or lapsed fan - which is the point of a collection like this - I can't really argue with this playlist. This could actually move some copies, especially if it was promoted as Hot Rocks 1992-2015, or something to that effect.

One question, though: Why are we starting with 1992? It would seem that 1989 would be the more natural beginning for a comp like this, as that was the beginning of this era (the "comeback years") of their career, in the minds of most people. And while Steel Wheels is a mediocre album, it did have a clutch of tracks ("Mixed Emotions," "Rock & a Hard Place," "Can't Be Seen," "Almost Hear You Sigh") that would slot in nicely among the others here. JMO.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, “The Worst” has to be on there.

17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I don’t think there’s enough material for a double album, but I could go for something like this 14 song set:

Love Is Strong
    You Got Me Rocking
    The Worst
    Blinded By Rainbows
    Anybody Seen My Baby
    Out of Control
    Saint of Me
    Already Over Me
    Don’t Stop
    Rough Justice
    Back Of My Hand
    Plundered My Soul
    Doom and Gloom
    This Place Is Empty

Exile On My Street likes this.
  18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

"The Worst" is a fantastic Keith song for fans. But for the casual listener, it's not going to have the same pop appeal as the others. See also "Thru and Thru."

19. smoke

The Worst was an immediate favorite for me, though I guess I'm a fan. It's a pretty unusual and great hook, though, and his voice carries it in such a way that I don't think you'd have to know who it was or anything about them to "get" the character singing it.

Forgive my ignorance...are the overdubs on this significant enough to call it a song from 2010?

Spadeygrove likes this.
  20. smoke

I almost did it that way...in the end I used Bill Wyman's departure as the marker. I agree that Steel Wheels had some good tunes as well. I've put the selections mentioned into a pandora playlist and it numbers 33 songs (a 34th is unavailable to stream for some reason) so Steel Wheels certainly wouldn't be needed, material-wise, to make a tasty 2lp comp. Obviously, if anyone has ideas that include them feel free to post here.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  21. smoke

mbrownp1 likes this.
  22. Creating a double-LP from this productive period severely detracts from this late, limited musical output from the Rolling Stones.

To put in proper perspective, Elton John’s Greatest Hits album—one of the greatest-selling and highly-reviewed compilations—covers a ten-album period of eight studio records, one soundtrack, and one live album. It’s ten songs. One LP. And it’s flawless.

This Stones period covers only four studio records, with just a handful of contemporary live albums and singles to complement them. Clearly, this unproductive era doesn’t merit a compilation album more than the length of Elton John’s Greatest Hits and certainly not the four sides of Hot Rocks.

Having read many previous entries in this thread, it seems like there’s more excuse-making and apologies for many of these late-era songs’ inclusions than any actual greatest hits.

It would seem that a ten-song, 45-50 minute LP would do this era of the Rolling Stones much better than the, ahem, rough justice of a longer comp.

23. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Don't know about that. Sheryl Crow just covered "The Worst" on her last record. It must have some appeal.

24. smoke

I don't think this era suffers from a lack of good songs, but choosing between them is tough, and GREAT songs like they made earlier?? Not sure how many get there. Breakingglass posted a 9 song version. I'm of the opinion that producing 9 truly valuable tracks in your retirement years is more impressive than the Stones generally get credit for. Hot Rocks is well-stocked with hits of a defining generational and stylistic (rock and roll) status which makes it unrepeatable. But I do think a good vol 2 could change the accepted narrative of their career, thus paving the way for the next album.

25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I didn't say it didn't have appeal. Just that the appeal was mainly within the fanbase. Pretty sure Sheryl Crow is a Stones fan. She also covered Bob Dylan's "Mississippi," which is a similar fan-favorite deep cut. But neither of these covers charted, which kind of proves my point.

Exile On My Street likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.