Your Biggest Album Disappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Luxeinterior

Luxeinterior Well-Known Member

Ill go with

Elton John- Caribou
    Metallica- St. Anger
    Radiohead- Kid A
    Coldplay- Anything after X&Y
    Pink Floyd- The Final Cut
    Chicago- Chicago 2

rikki nadir and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

They aren’t popular answers here, but

The Wall - a two year wait for a bloated arena rock album that cost $11.98 in 1979 money when minimum wage was around $2.15. I loved the albums preceding it, disliked this one so much, I never bothered with anything after it.

Adventure- Television. I was obsessed with Marquee Moon, it may have been my favorite album at the time. I was very underwhelmed with this one. Nice transparent red vinyl, at least. I don’t hate it like I do the Wall, though.

In Through the Out Door. Three year wait for a not very good pop album from a rock group.

Mbv - My Bloody Valentine Mostly disappointed with myself. I didn’t have high expectations, but I bought it without listening to it first, which I couldn’t do with the others. I definitely wouldn’t have bought it had I checked it out on YouTube beforehand.

Who Are You —Yeesh !

3. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    They let Eddie have to much control......

ausgraeme and Ron Jones like this.
  4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

White album “awful aside
    5-6 tracks”

Hilarious

5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The cover of the album seemed to be a giveaway.
    “Contractual obligation”

joy stinson and Minstrel Boy like this.
  6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

joy stinson, Bungo, Rickchick and 2 others like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Tunnel of Love.

A fantastic title song that stretches his sound. One good folky song and a cool ballad and a mess. Songs with no melody and great lyrics, some good melodies and dumb lyrics. And some crap like Ain't Got You and Valentine's Day. And, as usual, some of the songs became 10 times better done live, like Spare Parts.

What will follow now will show how wrong and insane I am..................

Picca and Jimmy B. like this.
  8. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Oh yes, and I heard her do Cold Turkey once!

linclink likes this.
  9. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Kind of a weird one but I WAS 15 at the time. The first album was swing and retro and this one they tried to go mainstream and it was AWFUL.

[​IMG]

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  10. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Duran Duran - Arena. As a 14 year old who had seen their live show and loved the first 3 albums this was a huge disappointment. Everyone was expecting a really electric double live set but we got 1 LP of songs that sounded overdubbed to death and with most of the excitement mixed out. Added to that the Wild Boys single included with the album was very very poor (I like it more now than I did then).

alugjk likes this.
  11. NickDanger

NickDanger Forum Resident

Frampton Comes Alive. I bought this album the week it was released. Couldn't wait to put it on the turntable. What a total disappointment. It was crap then, still crap today.

12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen's "Working On A Dream," "Wrecking Ball" and "High Hopes" albums, the latter of which should have been titled "Dashed Hopes."
    All three albums are really uninspired and "High Hopes" in particular seems like a hastily slapped together collection of rejects. It's astounding me that he deemed it deserving of release. In retrospect, I think he released it simply as an "excuse" to go back out on the road. Its one redeeming feature: The version sold through Amazon includes an excellent DVD of a live performance of the entire "Born In The USA" album.

13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Hmm... Easy. Cliff´s Richard´s 2001 album "WANTED", which featured him (mostly) doing unwanted, polished and lifeless covers of other people´s songs. I mean, I am probably one of his biggest fans, but this album caused me to stay away from his music almost entirely for a couple of years.

The single worst track on it might be this:

Cliff has a warm, pleasant voice, but where is all the drama from Tina Turner´s version?

Rick Bartlett and CheshireCat like this.
  14. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Springsteen's Lucky Town and Human Touch.

Five year wait for this? Meh

15. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Who's Last was the Who's worst. A lifeless and lackluster affair. About as far as you could get from the greatness of Live at Leeds.

16. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

OK
    I know this is becoming a “Things I Don’t Like Thread”
    But
    “Frampton Comes Alive” is one of the Best, and best selling live album of ALL TIME...
    Not “crap”

17. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True

I already had Armed Forces and Get Happy and I was so disappointed that without The Attractions, My Aim Is True sounded too bland and safe - even though I love most of the songs.
    And now I've heard Live At The Mocambo with The Attractions playing the same songs it's hard to listen to the studio album.

Fullbug and veloso2 like this.
  18. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Thought I would do some 90’s since there has already been some great old ones already mentioned.

Bush- Razorblade Suitcase
    Smashing Pumpkins- Ava Adore
    Brand New- Daisy
    Metallica-Load
    Opeth- Heritage (sad day)
    Train- Drops of Jupiter

piepants likes this.
  19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

How could Chicago 2 actually titled Chicago, be a dissapointment?
    It’s a totally worthy followup to CTA and their best album.

20. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

It’s not that Chicago 2 is bad but it doesn’t even come close to the masterpiece of Chicago Transit Authority

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Few bands seemed to spend so much time disappointing their fans as Emerson, Lake & Palmer; the legendary Love Beach fiasco being put in the shade by the utterly awful In The Hot Seat a quarter-century later ...

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

So true. Horrible attempt to become more commercial. At least he redeemed It's Money That I Love on his later stripped down LP.

23. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Historically it has to be Dynasty by Kiss. I was 13 at the time and had grown up with them and was a fan during the rise of their fortunes.

1978 was clearly a huge misstep for them. As a kid I knew this. A dubious greatest hits album, the Solo albums and the disaster of their TV movie.

1979 was hailed as the return of Kiss. After I got a look at their new ridiculous Vegas style ice skater costumes and heard Dynasty I was out. I couldn’t reconcile this look and sound with the group that had brought Alive. I quit the band and did not return until 1996 and the reunion tour.

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

True, because the correct answer is...

25. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Exile on Main Street... love the Stones but this record leaves me underwhelmed... bought it several times and in different formats over the last 40 years and I'm still "meh" on it...

Bob J, VinylSoul and bhazen like this.