Your Biggest Album Disappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

You probably did but I kept the faith hoping for better.

zen likes this.
  2. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I remember hearing that album at the time. My cousin who was perpetually behind the times decided he was a Kiss fan and bought it.

I thought it was laughably bad. Somehow Kiss thought they were pop artists. I remember listening to Paul Stanley’s warbling on Shandi and thinking this is the guy who sang 100,000 years?

Fame and money killed that band. I always thought their legacy would have been stronger had they quit after Alive. They would have been hailed as another weird glam NY band with great hard rock songs. But they hit it big and it got dumber and dumber.

Nakamichi and 57 Goldtop like this.
  3. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

That's gotta be Heaven & Earth by Yes. Terrible, limp document of the last year of Chris Squire's magnificent life

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Maybe a bit unfairly maligned, that album... not to the level of Brother Where You Bound but I think four or five songs are excellent, and a few more sounded much better live. By comparison, I still think ...Famous Last Words... sags extremely in the middle, and it was always a disappointing album for me even if it starts strong and ends even stronger.
    I'm far from an apologist of Back to Back but they had pop songs before and even during their rock years. It's just that Marguerita Time, aside from being saddled with some not very nice synth sounds, was such a big hit.

But while I'm on Quo, The Party Ain't Over Yet was a disappointment for a lot of fans after the excellent return to form Heavy Traffic. Even if it has a classic sound, for the most part, the songwriting just ain't there. And some potentially good songs like Goodbye Baby or Cupid Stupid get ruined by ridiculously bad lyrics.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Man at C&A and carlwm like this.
  5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

ELP Love Beach

6. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

John Lennon & Yoko Ono Wedding Album.

It was picked up by my parents for me after being led to believe by the salesperson that it was the newly released John Lennon Plastic Ono Band album that I requested.

I was pretty sure upon receiving it that it was not what I wanted, but suffered through both sides of "Yoko?... John... Yoko... John... Yoko... John..." and their Amsterdam press meeting, waiting for the music to start, which of course it never did. I was 14 years old at the time.

It was returned the next day.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. frozenpianos

frozenpianos Looking for that Hook

The Little Village album, featuring Jim Keltner, John Hiatt, Nick Lowe and Ry Cooder. Two decent songs out of the eleven tracks. Huge letdown.

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  8. Eyesteel

Eyesteel Forum Resident

Rick Wakeman's Myths and Legends of King Arthur (etc). I was about 12 when it came out, and already had, and loved, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, so I was very excited to spend my pocket money on this, especially with its lavish packaging etc. Took a little while to admit to myself the actual record was an absolute dog. That awful singing!

9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Interesting. I think that album is fantastic, but I came to it years later with zero expectation. Greg’s vocals are superb.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Boston - Walk On

I was a teen back then and walked into a store that was playing that album. It so happens the chorus of the title track was playing at the time. Prior to that moment, I had never bought an album simply off a short sample of one song but I was in a hurry and quite excited at how great the rest of the album must be.

Boy, was I disappointed! Huge letdown, a real bore with the passion of a chemistry set, that chewed at the time a big amount of my funds.

11. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

The answer to this is always St Anger

and second is Hear in the Now Frontier - Queensryche. After Mindcrime - Empire - Promised Land what a disappointment

iloveguitars likes this.
  12. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Queen's Hot Space and REM's Up.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Pink Floyd the final cut. I hated that album.

14. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I stream albums before I buy them, just in case I don't like them, but I can agree that The Final Cut is a big let down. I was listening to them all in order and it went straight from the Wall to that piece of trash. True, Not Now John is good, but it swears in every line for the first minute, if I remember correctly. I've blocked the rest from my head.

Lee Davis and The MEZ like this.
  15. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

Seeds of Love - Tears For Fears
    Bitter disappointment after waiting 4 years .
    Absolutely loved Sowing the Seeds and Woman in Chains but was crushed when I heard Badmans Song and the rest of the album except of course for Advice for the Young at Heart.

Over the years I have given up trying to force myself to like it and just now disregard it as a bloated self indulgent mess except for the 3 singles which are awesome, but those can be heard on the greatest hits .

drsmuts, pwhytey and veloso2 like this.
  16. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Agree so strongly. It is absolutely their worst album. No catchy melodies or humor either. It's just terrible. At least I'm With You had some variety and attempts as other styles from Josh.

I am not a fan of Animals either and cannot understand how people say it's their favorite Floyd album. That's insane. I love The Wall, WYWH and DSotM so much but Animals is hard to listen to honestly.
    I am glad you mentioned this one honestly. Tull is the definitive example for leaving all of their fans bewildered at some spot in their history. I definitely got off here. And to top it off they didn't even roar back with the trainwreck that is War Child. There is a big dip in quality and focus after TAAB and while I enjoy Minstrel from time to time I don't think they regained strength in their studio releases until Songs From The Wood (although that is one of my top favorites.)

john lennonist likes this.
  17. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

At the time: Radiohead King Of Limbs

It was released during the height of my Radiohead fandom, and while I was expecting the unexpected in some ways, I was completely unprepared for songs like "Bloom" and "Feral." It's grown on me a lot over the years, but for a long time I thought it was too short and too unlistenable for the sake of being unlistenable.

pexie likes this.
  18. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Count me in as number 2. The stronger rocking tracks on Second Coming are some of their best work but agree that it is a disjointed album to say the least. They needed something more concise to pull it all together so they could also drop the weaker songs like Driving South. It also lacks identity and sounds like scraping up everything recorded over a 2 year period and heaping it all into one pile to force out an album. I will never get over the power of the drumming that impressed me though when I first heard "Daybreak." That and "Love Spreads" are such infectious grooves with stellar playing.

19. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Chalk me up as one more positive review. I really dug it and still do. Wolfgang's playing is incredible and dig Dave's vibe. It totally suits the songs to be honest. I still can't listen to anything with Sammy. Nada.

20. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Many.

PIL not Punk at all but screeching lengthy drivel.
    Cherry Vanilla. Venus De Vinyl. Euro trash.
    Sid Vicious Sid Sings. Poor bootleg sounding live mess.
    Poly Styrene. Transluscence. Krishna krap.
    Brian Eno. Everything after Before and After Science.
    Alice Cooper. Constrictor. Worst lyrics stupid songs all wrapped up in a hair metal soup.
    Lou Reed. Almost everything after Transformer. Certainly Berlin. Music to OD to.

21. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Snap!

22. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Slash’s Snakepit, 1995 I reckon? I remember the build-up in all the metal mags - ‘songs ear-marked for GnR, same studio and producer as on AFD’.
    What a huge let-down, meh songs sung by the drummer from Jellyfish.

pexie likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I loved both of these two, but I didn't get Hot Space at the time. I can imagine it was quite a shock for many, especially Body Language as the pre album single.

Front Row likes this.
  24. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Several for me:

Yes - Tormato (after the brilliance of Going For The One)
    Supertramp - Crisis What Crisis (didn't even bother competing with Crime Of The Century)
    Van Morrison - Hardnose The Highway (arguably not sone song from here would merit a place on St. Dominic's Preview)
    Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n Roll (couldn't compete with Minstrel)

REM - Monster (after Automatic..sigh…)

Springsteen - The River ( after the brilliance of Darkness he gave us: Sherry Darling, Little Girl I Want To marry You, Crush On you and Out in the streets, Ramrod - wow what a climb down…)

twicks, Steve356 and Fred1 like this.
  25. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

U2--Zooropa

I still have no idea what they were trying to do with that album.

Devon Boy and Steve356 like this.