Your Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Picked up some more titles to add to my collection;
    Midnight Cowboy
    Sex, Lies and Videotape
    A Matter of Life and Death
    The Double Life of Veronique

Claus LH likes this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Oops! I went & bought two more. Badlands & Dead Man. Now I'm done.
    [​IMG]

3. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Everything from B/N has arrived....they drew blood this time: 12 individual discs plus the Dietrich/Sternberg box.

I am already planning on how to lobby my wife for the Bergman set for Xmas......

Al Kuenster and stepeanut like this.
  4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Had a quiet year for the sale in anticipation of the Bergman box. Been trying to slow my roll with Criterions as it is, have too many to catch up on.

The Color of Pomegranates
    The Passion of Joan of Arc
    Bowling for Columbine
    The Hero

5. Champagne Boot

Someone on CriterionForum got a message from Jon Mulvaney reporting that ALL previous releases will retain their supplements. Bergman Island will be on there.

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema - Page 6 -

6. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

Blu-Ray:
    The Lady Vanishes
    Rebecca
    Foreign Correspondent
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    The Uninvited
    Black Narcissus
    Red River
    Night of the Hunter
    Eyes Without A Face
    La Dolce Vita
    L'Avventura
    La Notte
    Last Year At Marienbad
    The Innocents
    L'Eclisse
    Carnival of Souls
    Judex
    Red Desert
    A Hard Day's Night
    Dr. Strangelove
    Seconds
    Blow-Up
    The Graduate
    Rosemary's Baby
    Night of the Living Dead
    Walkabout
    Two-Lane Blacktop
    Straw Dogs
    Picnic At Hanging Rock
    Barry Lyndon
    Quadrophenia
    Heaven's Gate
    Dressed To Kill
    Blow Out
    Fanny & Alexander
    Brazil
    Blind Chance
    Dekalog
    The Double Life of Veronique
    Three Colors Trilogy
    Rushmore
    The Royal Tennenbaums
    Personal Shopper

DVD:
    I Know Where I'm Going!
    (omitted Blu-Ray duplicates)

Laserdisc:
    King Kong (CAV)
    The Magnificent Ambersons (CAV)
    Blade Runner (CAV)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (CAV)
    The Graduate (CLV)
    Forbidden Planet (CAV)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (CLV)
    Ghostbusters
    Annie Hall
    Taxi Driver
    Silverado
    The Big Chill
    Dr. No (CAV)
    Close Encounters (CAV)
    The Devil and Daniel Webster
    From Russia With Love (CAV)
    Goldfinger (CAV)
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    The Last Picture Show
    Carnal Knowledge
    Carrie (CAV)
    Citizen Kane (CAV)
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (CAV)
    Tootsie
    The Fisher King
    Monty Python and The Holy Grail
    The Player
    Bran Stoker's Dracula (CAV)
    The Silence of the Lambs (CAV)
    Brazil (CAV)
    Robocop (CAV)
    The Prince of Tides
    This is Spinal Tap (CAV)
    Halloween (CAV)
    Blood For Dracula
    Flesh For Frankenstein
    Walkabout
    Time Bandits

Claus LH likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

p/u from B&N sale, The Lodger Blu-Ray today!

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

No I wasn't. A friend & I went to B&N so he could check out the vinyl. Before he finished checking them out, I checked out with three more
    Criterion titles. One-Eyed Jacks, Paths Of Glory & Straw Dogs. Now I'm done for sure. I promise! Lol!
    [​IMG]

9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

The Thin Blue Line
    Decameron
    Fantastic Planet
    Traffic
    M

Slowly making my way through these recent pick-ups. M is my favorite of all of them; fascinating restoration; great Lang interview with Friedkin; Charbrol's close analysis of Lang's method and, of course, the film itself has been a treat. You should probably wait 20 years between viewings AND ideally see it in a theater for the first viewing. A film like this was crafted for a large audience, not a sole viewer. It really does become another kind of experience watching it alone.

longdist01 and Claus LH like this.
  10. Champagne Boot

How'd you get the Decameron outside of the Pasolini box?

11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I have the other two as well but I've never watched The Decameron. I just mentioned picks I haven't seen or not seen in a long time. They're in my immediate watch stack. Some I wish I hadn't picked up. They're buried on my shelf somewhere. Criterion titles are a mixed bag, imo. (Since you asked) In addition to the Pasolini box set I got these earlier this summer:

Every Man For Himself
    I, Daniel Blake
    Kameradschaft
    Rebecca
    My Beautiful Launderette
    Apu Trilogy

Kameradschaft was new to me. Got it on a friend's recommendation. Very impressed, particularly with the mine collapse recreations. It's obviously a bit of a PSA for good French-German relations between the two big world wars but also an enjoyable look at what else was attempted during the period aside from the usual ruck making. Definitely worth the purchase.

I, Daniel Blake was also impressive in a PSA type of vein as well. I'd always been under the impression that the UK healthcare system was far superior to The States. Not so, apparently. Did a little bit of researching after the viewing, which I suppose is what the creators wanted to inspire. Healthcare without real empathy is near to being pointless is the general message but the performances by the leads and supporting players are what really make the film a worthwhile watch.

The other titles are must haves to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Please forgive me. I went to B&N with my friend today (A regular stop for us.) & for some strange reason I was
    browsing the vinyl & these two titles (Jubal & Mildred Pierce) kept whispering in my ear "Take me home!". I tried
    to ignore it but there seemed to be a strong magnetic field that pulled & dragged me over to the Criterion racks. I
    was helpless! I felt the magnetic field subside but then another one pulled me over to the registers. As I was being
    pulled again, these two Blu-Rays attached themselves to my hands & I couldn't shake them off! I didn't want to
    cause a scene & scare the children & elderly so I pulled out my wallet, paid for them & quickly left the building. It
    was a major battle today & I'm glad it's over. I'm just gonna have to accept that these two films will be in my library.
    Thank you all for understanding what I went through & I promise & cross my heart that I'll stop buying Criterion
    until the next sale.
    [​IMG]

Al Kuenster and ando here like this.
  13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:laugh: Well, you're doing what I can only dream about doing, short of just walking out of the store with them. No apologies required, as far as I'm concerned. Much as I admire what CC is doing with films they deem worthy of restoration and/or supplementation I'd only hold on to handful of them if push came to shove and I had to abandon my collection.

Nice extras on Mildred.

14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Just watched Age of Innocence. Such a beautiful Criterion transfer. I admit it is not at the top of Scorsese world, but I still enjoyed it a great deal.

ando here likes this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I like the performances from the leads but film feels like a museum piece. Reading Edith Wharton's novel, on the other hand, reminds you of people and attitudes that pass by you (and/or more likely, snub you) on the street today, despite the time setting. I think Scorsese improved this "timeless" aspect of Old New York life with Gangs. Course, he had no trouble with it in his 70s films - even in the post WWII flick, New York, New York, which has a deliberate artificially stylized approach - the characters weren't stuck in it. They feel a bit stuck to me AOI.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Went ahead and got Beyond The Valley of the Dolls. I was disappointed that there isn't that much nudity, but the Roger Ebert commentary is very good.

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Funny you mentioning those films. Feels like a trilogy when taken with the atmosphere.

The ending cinched the greatness to me. Roger Ebert's AOI review nails it. I feel layers with the work and it grabbed me only after stewing on it a while.

I think Gangs of New York is a fine film and New York New York is painfully underated. I see merit in all 3 films and find they all stand alone as only Scorsese does.

Is it an entertaining movie? I considered it.

18. The Hud

So far I have only watched it with the commentary track, but my guess is that if you like bad cult films then you will find it enjoyable enough.

19. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Anyone know where one can get replacement cases for Criterion Blu Rays? I have 2 that are cracked beyond repair and would like to replace them.

Thanks.

20. Champagne Boot

Criterion sells them on their site, $12 for a 5 pack. If it's a special case (multiple discs, etc.), I'd shoot them an email. They're pretty good with that stuff.

Clear Blu-ray Case (5-pack)

The Hud and deadbirdie like this.
  21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Casetopia is my go-to source of choice:

Criterion Single Disc Blu-ray Case 14mm

These are original Scanavo cases, as used by Criterion. Casetopia’s packaging is excellent, and delivery is very quick. Highly recommended.

deadbirdie likes this.
  22. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Thank you both! Appreciate your help.

stepeanut likes this.
  23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

AOI a bad cult film? I can't take any opinion serious that uses a commentary track as a measure of a good movie.

I found nothing wrong with the film and it is another in Scorsese's vast catalog that had him missing the mainstream audience. Much like for example Barry Lyndon, I don't really care what the general public thinks, I judge on my own experience.

24. The Hud

What is AOI?

I was talking about Beyond The Valley of the Dolls.

25. The Hud

Haven't seen that one.