Your Experience with Audio by Van Alstine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins Thread Starter

Please share your experience(s) with Audio by Van Alstine.

I'm considering one of his preamps to pair with my A-S1100, which I might eventually replace with one of his hybrid amps.

My main concern is whether he is easy to deal with post-sale, and whether he honors his satisfaction guarantee without any strife, unlike Odyssey.

Also, does his gear have a "house sound," or is it all over the map?

Thanks!

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

This link "may" contain information that will help/provide information also.

M~

3. Helom

Thanks but the issue I have with Audio Circle is the manufacturer moderates the page and of course has the ability to delete any critical posts.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. macster

macster Forum Resident

Okay

M~

5. Mike-48

Mike-48 Forum Resident

I owned an AVA Fet Valve 400R power amp for a few years. The reasons I traded it were mostly subjective, including my wish to use balanced cables without an adapter at the amp end. (It's now available with balanced inputs.)

I found AVA easy to deal with in every respect. When you call, you probably will talk to Frank himself. The product was shipped exactly when and how we discussed. The amp worked well and I got a great deal of pleasure out of it. It never needed warranty service. I remember having a question or two, and those were answered promptly and well by email.

I also own three AVA HumBusters -- they filter the power of components to kill mechanical hum made by some transformers in some circumstance. I'm quite happy with them. Two are quieting my JL Audio F112 subs, the other the Marsh power amp in my second system.

My impression is, AVA is a no-BS outfit. He has been in business forever, and has hasn't stayed a going concern by selling smoke.

Hope that helps.

NOS300B, HiFi Guy and Helom like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

never bought any products but had a listen and chat with Frank at AXPONA. although the speakers he brought were not my cup of tea, the AVA products had a look and sound of a very high quality, the appearance was so much better than in pictures. mr va is a true gentleman and nice guy who was giving out discount codes for his products. im sure you would not face any hassles if you needed to return. he would sell it to so someone else.
    i would love to hear a tube pre as the front end of a modern yammie amp. if they made a 150 to 200 wpc power amp it would make my short list. good luck!

Helom likes this.
  7. Helom

Spoke to Frank yesterday, he is indeed a gentleman and was very patient with my questions. I placed an order for the Fet Valve CFR preamp. The two week build time is quite reasonable.

NOS300B, timind, JackG and 1 other person like this.
  8. G E

G E Forum Resident

Frank van Alstine is the real deal. I bought several products from him between 1980 and 2005. I still have his Omega 3 power amp that was an upgrade from his Omega 2.

Straight shooter who aims to deliver a very fair value. He even has some “all tube” preamps and power amps.

NOS300B and Helom like this.
  9. Mike-48

Mike-48 Forum Resident

Congratulations -- I think you will love it! I am impressed by some of the thoughtful items provided: high filter, low filter, tape loop, headphone amp. I shouldn't have to say it, but balance control, too.

If you ordered the phono stage, please let us know how it compares to your JC3.

JackG likes this.
  10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Looks like a sweet unit. Appears the FET VALVE CF RB is basically the same without all those features?

Edit - after a bit of perusing the Audiocircle forum it seems RB = real basic. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  11. Helom

Didn't order the phono stage but I'm hoping its high-pass filter is good enough that I can forego use of my KAB.