Your Family Car AM Radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Headfone, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

It was Elvis, pre-Beatles in 1962. I was six or seven. My first singalong from the backseat.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    ParloFax and Headfone like this.
  2. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I can remember hearing Hey Jude for the first time on the radio in my Dad's car while stopping Altson, a small town in the Pennines, on Sunday family trip out.

hi_watt and Headfone like this.
  3. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

KDWB-63! in the Twin Cities. Imploring my Dad to tune to it from his news station WCCO. This helped me get many 45's from Shoppers City such as Get Ready by Rare Earth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headfone likes this.
  4. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin Thread Starter

Thanks for posting. Back in those days, you seldom had any advance notice of upcoming releases. When the KJR (Seattle) DJ introduced the song, I was extremely surprised and excited. Wow! George Harrison solo!

By the way, one of my best friends, guitar buddy and nicest people I've ever known came from Youngstown. He left this planet in 1999.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Listening to The Beach Boys hits in the summer.

6. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Riding in my parents’ ‘78 light blue Impala station wagon I specifically remember “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” by Charlie Daniels Band and “You Can’t Change That” by Raydio being on all the time.

Our local station was WBPZ 1230 AM in Lock Haven, PA which appears to still exist and could be the same station the aforementioned “My Sweet Lord” was heard on.

Fender Relic and hi_watt like this.
  7. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

It's so cool to see other mentions of "My Sweet Lord". It's got to be one of my earliest musical memories - I was barely 5 1/2 when it was a hit.

Our family car was a '65 Plymouth Fury III 4-door, one of those big C-bodies, and the backseat felt gigantic at that age. There was a "shelf" between the backseat and rear window, and that's where the rear speaker was.

I'd crawl up there and lie down with my ear to the speaker until Dad noticed he couldn't see out the rearview mirror and Mom made me get down.

Another Steve and hi_watt like this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The first song I remember hearing a lot was "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" by The Fifth Dimension. I was about 3 and listened to music pretty intently for that age.

9. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Not the first, but I definitely associate car rides with "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray, "Let Me Be There" by Olivia Newton-John & the most appropriate "Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns.

Headfone likes this.
  10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Two memories: My parents owned a cottage near Wasaga Beach, about an hour and a half north of Toronto at the time. My dad was not a fan of Top 40 radio and after all he was driving and it was his car, so the family was treated to the sounds of an MOR station on the way up.
    Whenever I hear Percy Faith's "Theme From A Summer Place" it takes me back to a time in the car on a hot summer afternoon with Percy Faith coming from the loudspeaker in the dashboard of the blue interior of a '63 Plymouth, the first new car we ever had.
    Flash forward to a few years later, 16 and cruising with a buddy in Wasaga Beach at night when AM radio carries carries over huge distances. We have the radio tuned to a great Chicago station. "Maggie May" comes on and it's like one of the best records I've ever heard. I had heard of Rod Stewart but had not heard him and in that moment I instantly understood his greatness.

Headfone likes this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Well, it may be a bit boring to some here, but my old man would play KNX1070 news radio in our '76 Duster. Apart from that, he'd listen to Mexican music, which was broadcasted from Tijuana in the early '80s.

12. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Same!

13. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

My biggest memories of being a kid and listening to my parent's car radio was hearing the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac in constant rotation.

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Family wagon was an ex demonstrator so it had the options which included whatever the radio option was.
    I don't remember hearing it at all.

15. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

"Skyyyy rockets in flight,"
    Wooooooooo
    "Afternoon delight!"

16. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

A cold winter morning riding in the back of my Dad's 1964 Buick, I heard, for the first time, Bob Dylan sing "Mr. Tambourine Man". Dad was driving us to school in a heavy snowfall. The car was about half thawed out and ice was still clinging to the side of my window. When I heard Bob's words come through the dash speaker...

"And my hands can't feel to grip,
    And my toes too numb to step"

I knew then and there what Bob was singing about.

Headfone likes this.
  17. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

"Monster Mash" sticks out because it was weird. I remember getting upset when, halfway through the song, we hit the Lincoln tunnel and the signal was cut off.

18. Was "Israelites" by Desmond Dekker & The Aces out in America by the summer of '68?

IIRC that was the summer of that vacation caravan trip my family took to the Maine coast. The gang was nearly complete so it was pretty exciting for me (the youngest) - my first ever trip to the sea!

Anyway that song played a lot on the radio during the long ride South, and its chorus just fascinated me and blew away anything else I might have heard back then. It was certainly the first reggae tune I'd ever heard.

19. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I heard the early Beatles singles (She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, etc.) and my parents bought me those 45's when I was 3. Unfortunately they are long gone.

The most vivid memory however is Light My Fire. I was 8 that summer, and my family took a 3 week camping vacation and did a lot of driving. It felt like that song was everywhere that summer.

ParloFax likes this.
  20. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

It seems like I came to consciousness hearing a passel of songs from late 1966:

Good Vibrations
    Winchester Cathedral
    Poor Side Of Town
    Sugar Town

Always in the car heading to one family gathering or another, past bare trees and empty fields...I was 4 years old.

Headfone likes this.
  21. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I remember being in the car when we heard the announcement on the AM radio that Elvis had died. I was 9.

22. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I actually don't think my parents listened to the radio in the car. I don't have any memory of it.*

On our last summer trip we stopped at friends in OK. I was 15 going on 16. We went out to dinner and I ended up riding with the older son. I don't know if it was the radio or cassette but the memory is speeding down this flat straight road with Nazareth's Hair of the Dog blasting.

I had to install one of those FM add-on thingys for my first car (used 73 firebird).

*We drove my mom to my sister's for thankgiving this year. We used my moms car. I drove but she would not let me listen to tunes. That's the last time we use her car.

Headfone likes this.
  23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Late summer, early fall 1958, we were moving out to the country, I had just turned 5. There were a bunch of trips in my dad's car after work, the sun was still up and there were lots of red apples on the trees. A song that was getting a lot of airplay at the time was Gogi Grant's "The Wayward Wind", it may have been the first time I gave any thought as to what my life would be like as an adult.

24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

My father listened to talk shows and the news. He was born in 1916 so at 50+ years old, he wasn't listening to pop music. I heard a lot of Bob Grant.

MKHopkins likes this.
  25. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I was 12 or 13 and I was in the car with my Dad and I was just becoming aware of pop music. I turned on the radio and "Gimme Dat Ting" by the Pipkins came on. I thought to myself "Oh crap, he's gonna change it" but instead, he started laughing hysterically. He asked me when it was over if they would play it again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.