Your Favorite Analogue Productions SACDs and CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 12, 2018.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks! Good to know!

I just checked and of its 38 songs, The Nat King Cole Story AP SACD has 14 songs that did not appear previously on any of the three DCC CDs. Also, it has all but two songs that appear on the DCC Greatest Hits, the missing ones are You Call It Madness and Unforgettable, duet with Natalie Cole. The Nat King Cole Story also has one song that appears on Love Is The Thing, Stardust, and one that appears on The Very Thought Of You, Paradise.

I also just realized that The Nat King Cole Story is re-recordings of his older songs in stereo. In general, do you prefer the older versions? And do you know if the DCC used the later, stereo recordings for the DCC GH? (I think he did, just want to confirm.)

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not a problem! My apologies but I'm not sure what you mean "is the music accessible" in regard to the Blow By Blow and Wired APO SACDs.

3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Others can better answer this, as I own neither compilation. I'm not a big fan of comps in general, though I've considered splurging on the NKC Story LP set at some point. I recall hearing a comparison of two versions of "A Christmas Song" and strongly preferred the more atmospheric original.

George P likes this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The best is Wish You Were Here.

AP does a darn good job with all their titles, though.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. George P

By accessible, I mean able to be accessed, or appreciated by most listeners.

6. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Forum Resident

Dean Martin - Dream with Dean. Listening to it right now. Has Dean backed up by guitar (Barney Kessel), piano (Ken Lane), bass (Red Mitchell), and drums (Irv Cottler). The sound is very good in my opinion and the tracks chosen were great. Record was originally released in 1964.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK, thanks for the explanation. I'm a big Jeff Beck fan buying both Blow By Blow and Wired when they were released on vinyl back in the day. I guess it would be up to the individual if they appreciated either album. My favorite of the two would be Blow By Blow as it's a better overall sounding recording and the music flows much better IMO.

As much as I like Wired the SQ of the recording is not the best IMO. One of the engineers on the album Peter Henderson has been quoted as saying "I listened to that a few years later and it sounded like it had been recorded direct to cassette. I don't think it was one of my finer moments." Both albums have multichannel mixes available and Blow By Blow sounds excellent. The multichannel mix of Wired is not very good IMO.

George P likes this.
  8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Just the early songs. The rest is all original material.

9. Boy Blue

Boy Blue Forum Resident

Trust me, just get Nat King Cole Story and thank me later.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  10. George P

Thanks, but right now I am more interested in getting albums/songs I don't already have. Buying the AP The Story of Nat King Cole would be re-buying 24 songs, and that is too much for me.

11. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I like:
    Nat King Cole
    The Doors (ya I know they have been done to death, but the AP SACDs are still my favorite)
    The Beach Boy (nice to have the stereo and mono on the same disc)

I also have some of their Stan Getz, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong albums etc. To my ears the AP Jazz releases tend to sound like a flat transfer, which in some instances is great, but in other cases they can sound a little....well flat. The Fitzgerald titles sound good. The Getz titles Are not my favorite mastering.....but I am certainly no expert....

PhantomStranger and George P like this.
  12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

They are my two favorite Jeff Beck albums. If you appreciate good melodic, energetic, grooving jazz fusion then you will like them in my opinion. Like someone else said Blow By Blow has the superior sound quality.

13. George P

Thanks, Bruce! I definitely like Jazz fusion.

bruce2 likes this.
  14. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I love my Stevie Ray Vaughan “Texas Hurricane” box. Great sounding

Galley and Bill Mac like this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sam Cooke NIGHTBEAT is a hing of sheer beauty, Scary realistic, especially in 3-channel mode.

Spencer Marquart, tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  16. It's a seasonal album but AP did a fantastic job with The Wonderful Sounds of Christmas. Chad Kassem did a fine job selecting popular Christmas hits for the compilation and the sound quality is a drastic improvement over prior versions I've heard of this material. Obviously one could quibble with a couple of the artists, but it gets played a lot around Christmas in my house.

[​IMG]

RSteven, Lovealego and George P like this.
  17. George P

Finally listening to that one now and it sounds absolutely wonderful! And the playing is awesome!

This afternoon I ordered the Mingus Black Saint and Sinner Lady, Ellington Blues in Orbit, Freddie Hubbard hubtones and the two Jeff Beck titles. (Also The Knack Mofi, BJ Innocent Man Mofi)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    bruce2 and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love them all...The Searchers and Donovan at the top...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

best way to learn! but, sometimes one may disagree...in this case I can't see anyone not happy with a Steve SACD...love all mine!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    George P likes this.
  20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

The Best of Sam Cooke
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Nuthin' Fancy
    CCR Self-Titled
    Jimi-Machine Gun
    Buddy Holly/Chirping Crickets
    +Beach Boys titles

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    OptimisticGoat and tmtomh like this.
  21. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I didn't know these existed! :candy:

22. George P

Can you tell me who mastered this one?

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Aren’t they AF SACDs?

24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Authored for SACD by Gus Skinas on the Sonoma System at the Super Audio Center, Boulder, Colorado.

25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

THOSE I have.........