Your Favorite Analogue Productions SACDs and CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 12, 2018.

1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I don’t want to offend the feeling of the fans but IMO I would seldom see the advantage over the much cheaper BMG SACDs from the RCA masters and I feel their Decca titles almost failed to keep the signature sounds heard on the vinyl.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Personally, I think the original masterings for all of my classical CD sound great so I have never sought out audiophile masterings for my classical CDs

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have never heard any original vinyl so don't know how they sound. However, when it comes to the original RCA BMG SACDs I also own many of those and we will have to agree to disagree. To my ears the AP SACDs are a substantial improvement, sounding much more detailed yet with warmth and no harshness.

Coaltrain likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree about most original masterings sounding good, especially for London/Decca. I usually seek out original 80s discs and never buy classical remasters unless it's from a trusted audiophile label like Analogue Productions.

George P likes this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Exactly. For Decca materials the West Germany CDs and the Japan King CDs from the 80s are sublime.
    For instance, I DO prefer the King 2CD set of Mehta’s Mahler 2nd to any others including the SACDs.

WhatDoIKnow, Dave and George P like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Gil Evans & 10 looks promising since it is the stereo reincarnation which has been available only once on the deleted SACD.

George P likes this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Some Eric Dolphy titles such like The Five Spot are the first CDs with audiophile treatment, though I have no idea how I will like them.

8. AP did a good job with Jimi Hendrix's Machine Gun SACD. It's a live recording from the 1960s, so the fidelity isn't quite there with a studio album, but it rocks for lack of a better term.

jhm likes this.
  9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I listened to this AP Hendrix SACD for the first time this afternoon, and I was happy with the sound quality. The fidelity and the quality of the performances drew me in and kept me engaged in the disc throughout.

Craig.

George P likes this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

My favorite of the Blue Notes:
    Coltrane: BLUE TRAIN
    Grant Green: IDLE MOMENTS
    Kenny Burrell: MIDNIGHT BLUE
    Herbie Hancock: MAIDEN VOYAGE
    Joe Henderson: PAGE ONE

Other AP favorites:
    DUSTY IN MEMPHIS
    Duke Ellington: MASTERPIECES
    Oliver Nelson: BLUES AND THE ABSTRACT TRUTH
    Cannonball Adderley: SOMETHIN’ ELSE

tmtomh and George P like this.
  11. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

How is the redbook layer on this? My original CD is starting to skip. (Took it to college with me and lent it out.)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I spent years building my classical collection and feel it is well beyond what I want/need. Plus, I rarely listen to a classical CD and feel unhappy with the sound.

On the other hand, those non-classical titles I posted are, in most cases, the first time I have had the albums.

bruce2 likes this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Understandable. I am the opposite in that I just got heavy into classical a few years ago but have been collecting rock CDs for a long time and am pretty satisfied with that part of my collection!

14. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi George.
    Two that come to mind are:
    Junior Wells with Buddy Guy-Hoodoo Man Blues
    Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow

Of course the Creedence ones are fantastic as others here have stated. I had the Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman but found it too bright, sold it and now go to my Island version.

Rockin' Robby and George P like this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I don't own as many as others here, but I can enthusiastically echo many of the above recommendations:
    • Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon - Despite the love for the early Japan CDs of these, I think these two are best of breed, period
    • Muddy Waters Folk Singer - Equals the hallowed Classic Records HDAD for clarity, while edging it for smoothness and refinement (though I'm holding on to my HDAD too!)
    • Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis - the best this album ever has sounded (and probably ever will sound), beats the 45rpm vinyl too
    In addition, I haven't heard Sam Cooke Night Beat, but I have heard the same base mastering via the AP 45rpm 2LP, and it is indeed excellent. I can't imagine the SACD would disappoint.

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yep I’ve settled on this one as well. Lovely, but then most of them are darn great; just shy of this though.

jhm likes this.
  17. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

The redbook layer is a definite improvement on my original CD. My ears hear a more "central" placement of the vocal and more defined bass. The overall sound is less harsh or raw than the original. I think I could listen to the SACD at a much higher volume. Having said that, I am not an "audio guy" - just a listener - and I generally don't post on sound quality (forum rules) because I have not listed my (very old equipment) and won't until I finish putting my new system together. I seem to have an abundance of this album - new LP and I recently picked up the Deluxe 2CD with bonus tracks and a live disc (which is why I bought it again). Its not a remaster so I must check it out sound wise soon.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

DSotM is not an APO SACD, and is nowhere near as good as WYWH.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    tmtomh likes this.
  19. If you enjoy Dean Martin, AP's Dream With Dean SACD is buttery smooth and sounds perfect. It offers a more refined approach than the CD that shows a substantial improvement.

WhatDoIKnow and David Cunningham like this.
  20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

FYI, the AP DSD download is a different master and sounds miles better than the SACD.

Instant Karma likes this.
  21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Scary good is right. So good it does not sound like an SACD (which often sound bright to me). Mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray.

bktouchstone likes this.
  22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Oops, sorry, didn't realize it wasn't an APO. As for how good it is, we can agree to disagree.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I wonder how the CD layer would compare to the Classic Compact Discs Gold CD

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Do you guys prefer this to the MFSL Gold version?

25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes I spent time with the mfsl gold and Steve’s CD along with the AP; all fantastic and any one will be great, I think the AP just had edge because of Kevin Grey’s transfer chain plus honest remastering, it just felt a little more accurate, a more modern gear tape transfer, less early digital. The difference edge was quite small but that is what I liked about it.

Tom34772, mwheelerk and George P like this.